Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ooh, The Horror... My '36 Coupe...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Enbloc, Jul 9, 2009.

1. telbert twang

telbert twang
    from estonia

Beautiful.

Damn when there will be the day (if ever) when I´ll have money (and also the time) to tinker on something like a 35/36 3W ...

2. Good to hear from you. Any update pics?
    I've read that the longest cables were fitted to Jag's and Marina's. I think the longest cable available is 44". I got mine from Ebay, the seller had a few so maybe they're still on there. It was described as the longest available but measured up around 40" I think. Not that it mattered as that was long enough.

Found the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-LUCAS-CR-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad1f14c8f

Thanks. I can't take all the credit. My dad is involved with this project just as much as me.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Even better. I would Kill to have been able to build something with my father. Really cool !!!!

4. The saga of the door hinges.

When I got the car the doors were hung and latched perfect which was great. The problem was it all been done on worn hinges, like 1/8" of of wear which is over the length of the door is quite considerable!

The question now was whether to fix or leave as is? The doors needed cleaning up around the hinges as it looked like someone had tried to remove them and then got the gas axe out when they couldn't! :eek:

This was how the doors were left as attention turned back to removing the body.

[​IMG]

With the body back on unsurprisingly the doors didn't fit any more.
    The hinges are riveted to the door and fixed in slots in the A post. With no adjustment to speak of and with no baseline to work from due to the slop in the hinges it was a lost battle.

The decision was made to replace the hinge pins and thats when the trouble started...

First problem was the pins had been welded to the hinges and several blunt drill bits later we found out the pins were hardened as well.
    The hinges were approaching scrap and still joined as firmly together as when we started it was time to cut 'em out and start again.

[​IMG]

I found that Wescotts do stock '36 hinges which are excellent quality.

[​IMG]

2 weeks later and ONE door is back on. The door hinge half is now bolted so it can be removed and shimmed and the other hinge half slides into the A post slot as standard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peeps likes this.
  5. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Nice job on the hinges Clark, this car is turning out very nicely! I'll be tackling my doors soon, I fear the worst!!

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Those look great, I didnt know anyone repoped the hinges, pretty sure I will need em when I start my jigsaw puzzle!

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

ENBLOC...brother that's the kind of HORROR i would like to be subjected too!...POP.

8. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

Very nice work on the replacement hinges.

Hinge work on these cars can be pretty fussy.

I had to replace part of the hinge mounting section on the body. All 4 mounts were done.

I used photographs I had taken of an original hinge mount on a car in excellent condition as an example.

Got rid of all the fatigued, cracked metal.

Attached Files:

9. I'm sure nobody looks forward to hanging doors!

Nor did I . I think I came by them from a search on here.

Watching my thread most be like deja vu to you!

10. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Oh my, that sounds nice...

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Holy shit!!! Dude that sounds amazing.

12. kraka138

kraka138

sounds amazing great job man

13. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Congrats Clark.That sounds great!

14. Well done, great overall build

15. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

MAN....wish mine sounded that good on the first fire up...hell, I wish it sounded that good NOW!!!

16. Really happy with it so far.

No smoke, bangs or knocks. It still needs setting up but that will have to wait until I get the rad plumbed in which in turn is waiting for the front panels to be trial fitted so I know the final position of the rad.

Painting and more painting at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great photos and story. Enjoying the read...

18. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

The flatty sounds great!!!

19. sqweaka

sqweaka

looks and sounds great clark... will it be finished for the hayride?

20. That was the plan but its looking doubtfull now.

21. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

Man alive, what a great sound! That's just awesome. Looking good. Thanks for the updates!

22. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Oh my... that sounds heavenly.

23. That engine start-up video was sweet... love the paint color and it sounds tops... right on!

24. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

25. The front panels have been blasted and primed so it was time for another mockup before they get the final top coat.

This was the first time the panels had been back on with the engine in place as well to give a more realistic idea of the ride height. You may remember from the previous mock up the car was sitting a little on the high side.

Well I couldn't be happier as its got exactly what I wanted with the tip of the tyre just level with the top of the arch, just like the Pierson coupe! It can only go down from here as the suspension settles which wouldn't be a bad thing either.

[​IMG]

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The Pierson '36 was the baddest fucking car ever!! There is another White one like it but the name always eludes me. Clark. I'm really stoked you are going this route with the car. Rad!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

28. The McKinley coupe is cool and an almost exact copy of the Pierson Bros coupe.

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Why yes sir it is.....but really that's the only two examples to reference as far as I'm concerned. And the fact that your are building something very similar to theirs and I cannot reference a singe contemporary counterpart built in the last 25 years makes it all the better. When you can fuse being highly traditional with being a individual that stands out amongst the rest....well that's the best of both worlds wouldn't you say?

Stunner!

Last edited: May 20, 2010