Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2010 Jalopy Showdown Thanks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarylarry, May 16, 2010.

1. scarylarry

scarylarry

I know these have to get old to some people but when you do a show and things actually work, especially when a HUGE amount of people show up, you want to do it. I really think there are just several things that make the Showdown work out so nicely, 1. the location
    2. the people I have help me 3. and the "advertising" we get from the HAMB. Dirt tracks are cool, but they are flat and generally treeless pieces of dusty/dirty property because they are designed as a work space of sorts. Latimore is a park like setting first and the track is rarely used so it can always look like a park.
    The people that volunteer most of their whole day to work, do it because they know it would NEVER be possible if any of them decided to do anything else! Not that any of us think our job is that important, just we are so short on crew that we know we HAVE to do it to make it work!! It was so cool that at the end of the day we were all exhausted but smiling ear to ear because we know our little crew pulled off another one! I wont thank everyone individually, you know who you are and I thank each one so much.
    The HAMB is where I met a lot of my friends that help me with the show, and others that drive a LONG way to attend, thanks for making the drive. The photos and enthusiasm about the show here has sold it more than anything, my thanks to Ryan for making this available to us all. Now I soon have to go sleepy...my age is showing.
    Oh, I have a rant about over the top, drunken, not really interested in hot rods as much as partying, pain in my ass, gonna make camping change, rumble somewhere the fuck else, better REAL police presence next year, you WILL leave INSTANTLY if you cant act like adults, fallen down, loud drunken assholes...but I'll save that for later.
    I'm over the "scene"people and will clean house if need be. Grow up or go somewhere else. I'll do a 300 car invitational with camping being the same way...oh shit I'm still ranting...bye

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I need to put this on my bucket list

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Cool. Thanks. Slim

[​IMG]

4. Dave_D

Dave_D
    from NY

Hey, thats a cool picture of my T-bucket in front of the museum...Do you mind if I steel it to use as my new wallpaper?

Larry, thanks for puting on an awesome show, we'll be back every year. See you at the drags in the fall.

5. A big thanks to you and all your helpers Larry, the show is always a blast !

6. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Thank you and your helpers Larry, another great, well-run show, even with a huge jump in participants from last year, everything from our perspective was great... thanks again, and echoing the multitudes... cya next year!

Ohh and Larry, just to compliment not only you, but also the participants... not only did the amount of cars grow but the quality of those cars inside and outside the infield seems to have increased as well... this show is really drawing a lot of top notch cars from all over the north east! What a pleasure to view.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  7. Tony

Tony

Larry, as usual the show was well worth the ride. I won't speak for all of us who came but i know everyone ALWAYS has a great time and keeps talking about it though out the year.
    We've said it a hundred times, it's the PEOPLE that keep us coming back. The list is long, but you guys have all become true friends.
    Thanks for everything to all of you!
    Tony.

ps: Tell Longhair he owes me a damn 'Staff' shirt, and not his muddy one either! haha :)

8. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Larry, just want to say THANK YOU to you and your crew for another fabulous show!

9. sawzall

sawzall

Larry

thanks again another excellent show!

Hope the streak continues!

10. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Larry,
    Wow, what a show! You were blessed with fabulous weather and a great gathering of hot rods. The crew, the vendors, the food, the bands were all great. Wow, you even got Sketch Cult to come in from Michigan-great man. What a terrific show
    If I can comment on your rant; usually everyone sees all the good stuff that goes on and only a few (usually those that are running it) see things that go bad. You have control of those things as well as fine tuning everything else. Fix the bad and fine tune what you can-other than that don't fix what isn't broken.
    You, Kim and the Crew do a great job-CONGRATS.

11. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

Wonderful show as usual Larry! the Family and I has a blast! This was the first time i brought my pop and he was completely flabbergasted with the amount and quality of cars there. Truly a one of a kind show.

Sorry I didn't have time to stay and chat but hopefully I'll be able to come up to the drags in the fall with that tranny i got from you and be able to stay the whole weekend. ;)

Bring on Jalopy Showdown 2011!!!

12. fww32

fww32

Brought a couple new old timers and they said best show they have ever attended. I think show was much bigger then other years, but hats off to you for keeping it sane. Again thank you.

13. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

Show was awesome as always! I couldnt believe just how many people showed up this year. The place was PACKED!

14. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

Thanks again Larry and crew for making this show possible, been there since the first, will be there till the last (hope that isn't anytime soon) great job everyone!!

15. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Thanks to you and your crew Larry! We had blast!

16. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Thank you Larry, and the whole crew... Its a relaxing good time for those of us attending. As usual I'm already looking forward to next year. All your hard work has paid off to what is now a permanent point on the calander, right along with Hershey and Christmas....

Thanks!
    Zach

17. Nostalgia Works

Nostalgia Works

Larry,

Just wanted to say....Congratulations man.....you did it again!!!! You and your crew/volunteers landed another GREAT event!!! What a fantastic day and GREAT turnout!! GREAT MUSIC, GREAT ASSORTMENT OF "RODS", GREAT RUNS ON THE MUDDY TRACK.....GREAT FOOD!!
    THANKS.. THANKS ...THANKS....FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK (AND YOUR VOLUNTEERS HARD WORK), FOR GIVING US ANOTHER MEMORABLE DAY!!! :D

18. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Thanks Larry Kim & crew it was well worth the 1200 mile drive, we of course will be back.

B:)B

19. tuki

tuki

yes Larry you and your crew put on the best show on the East coast..cant wait till next yr to bring my roadster..i agree the "scene" people can ruin it for everyone.i hope that doesnt happen for the sake of the true traditionalists, great job man

20. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

larry and all who are envolved with the show a big thank you! i say it every year and i do mean it i had a blast! thanks so much for letting me take pictures and for having such a great event, pics will be up tomorrow

21. 1oldrat

1oldrat

Great show Larry,We had a blast,sold lots of parts and had a great time.It's too bad some people can't have a few drinks and a good time.I thought your rules were pretty simple and easy to follow.I'll be back next year selling stuff again.I'm going to send in my registration this week.Keep up the great work.THANKS AGAIN

22. Hey thanks larry and the crew for every thing that was done to make the show what it is.
    Also I hope that you enjoyed the exhibition that was put on after the show in the mud you did have a smile on your face. Even though you probably couldn't see my smile from ear to ear under all that mud it was a blast.
    There were so many cars I didn't have time to see them all.
    All those people that leave saturday after the show like I have done for the last couple years miss all the fun its definitly a 2 nite show.

23. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

larry i remember that cold winter day at clark's garage when you were brain storm' about this show, the year's have past so quick, hell they even build cars just for the show, being this was the first time i could make it " no more go-cart racin' " i will not miss another & if i can help just let me know!! i was only there for a short time sat but my two laps made up for all the years i missed !!!!! see ya soon

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I believe that .It is the best show ...And thanks I didn't want to leave .....John

25. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Larry...thanks once again for pure awesomeness.
    I'm so freaking tired, I just got home, and we put a lot, I mean A LOT of miles on the Ranchero this weekend! Other than ripping the canister filter off of the frame, trying to cross the bridge ( Loaded down WAYYY too much with wood, coolers, food, supplies...) and making a quick repair with some borrowed rubber fuel line, we had no incedent to speak of...
    Perfect weather, and great times.
    Damn...I'm beat.

I missed seeing a lot of folks I always look forward to talking to, because we had to leave all afternoon Saturday, and go to a wedding an hour away, but...to anyone I failed to visit: I missed ya!
    Sleeping under the stars and trees for two nights in the Ranch's bed was tits...
    Thanks Everyone!

26. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Normally, putting on a show is a thankless task, so I'm glad we have this board where we can thank you for the Showdown. It was my third time, but first with a car in the show, so it was a totally different vibe doing that. The only thing you need to change is to give Kim a raise. When I was waiting to cross the track, I was watching her keeping the logistcs under control, talk about being cool under pressure. Did she used to be an air traffic controller, or what?

27. Bunch of pictures on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com

Search "2010 Jalopy Showdown". I would post the direct link but Flickr doesn't like that.

28. Hey Hotroded I plan to post the video of your dirty deed in the mud. I think the girls could've kicked your ass. LOL It was quit a show.

29. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was truly a bag of fun. I will never miss another one.

Thank you

John

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

What do you mean "could've"? We did! That dude went DOWN, on his back with THREE girls standing over him!

Larry, I've been going to events from coast to coast for many years. You've got a winning combination for sure......great people, great location, great cars, great staff, great date, the list goes on and on. The Jalopy Showdown is a distination event not to be missed in my world.

Larry and crew, from the bottom of my heart thank you so much for all your hard work. You made all of us feel like part of your hot rod family. I'm looking forward to seeing and hanging out with you guys again real soon. xoxoxox