Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koyaanisqatsi, May 14, 2010.

1. So, H.A.M.B.ers, I need some advice, and, no, I did not just break up and feel sorry for myself...

Anyway, I recently came across a near-complete (missing grille and hood) model A tudor at a junkyard a few miles north of where I live. It looks to be a great start for a hot-rod, and, if nothing else, I'd like to save that old steel from getting crushed. But, here's the problem, at the ripe old age of 18, and having NOT been raised in much of a car family I can't say I have the most advanced building skills, and I know that this would be a big build, so, I'm wondering, would I be getting myself into too big of a build? I do have access to plenty of tools, welding equipment, and shop space (working at a trucking company that works on its own trucks has its benefits). So, the question is, should I go for it?

I guess I'm also wondering how much I should look at spending on a project like this? Not looking to build a record-breaker, but, something with some speed and that isn't a total safety hazzard. So, experienced builders, help a f*cking new guy out if you don't mind. :D

Edit: Realized it might help to put in some plans for it that I would have to help guage expense. Not really picky about the motor, so long as I'm not having to drive like a grandma, and not worried about gas mileage as this won't be a daily driver. A V8 would be preferrable, with a 4spd. I would like to chop it, nothing extreme, but, cut down a bit. Steelies on whitewalls, simple one-color paint job, not sure if I would keep the fenders on it or not. And, as basic of an interior as is necessary for safety.

Advice on good choices for power and reliability are appreciated. Of course the 350 sbc is on my mind, just because of its reputation, but, I have to say I'm a Ford person at heart.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Collect the parts, learn the skills as you go, don't go cheap. pigpen

3. Something along these lines if the fenders can be saved (fairly heavy damage in some areas)...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to Bull for the photo/ inspiration...

4. i got my first model A at 16 , and rebuilt it while working for $1.25 an hour. you have tools and space to do it , which i didn't. it all comes done to desire and commitment...i had it then and still do.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just do it.
    Opportuinities for good bodies are becoming a rarity so get the parts now and build it when you have skilled/cashed up if that is the problem.

By the time you have gotten the skills etc the body will be gone or much more expensive.

6. X2 go for it. Just keep asking sensible questions. You'll take some flak from some people on here no matter what you do, but you can't go wrong building it safe. Search the forum for build threads and READ them. Focus on the ones that got a lot of positive comments.

7. Soviet

Soviet

You've got the tools, the facilities and the drive.
    Do it.
    I say this as a guy that grew up with a family that refers to my 392 and '32 frame as "metal junk".

8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

you only go around once in this world, if you have the desire,get to wrenchin!

9. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Do it! I'd do a basic build now, and put off the top chop and really tricky stuff until you have more knowledge and experience. In any event, go for it! At age 63, I'm building the car I wanted to build when I was 15. Just sorry I waited so long.

10. wyoruffneck

wyoruffneck
    from Casper, WY

Do it or some day youll kick yourself for turning away from it.

11. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

grab the car up,if you don't build it then it's a good investment for you. You can build it later on, or trade it for something more complete?

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure is good to know there are still young men that wanna build hot rods. I agree with the others who say "go for it". If this is something you really want, do it now. I'm like retiredfireguy...wanted a hot rod since I was a little kid, but somehow never made it happen. Gonna finally do it...but I'm 53 now, and wish that I had done it as a younger man. I'll still enjoy it to no end, but I won't have as much time to build memories. Time flies, and other aspects of life get in the way. As you get older, get married, have kids, buy a house, pay for medical and school bills, etc. etc. etc...you'll have less time and maybe less expendible income to do such a thing. Not to mention that the ol' body starts in aching and creaking! LOL. Do it now while your still in "those crazy days when I was young"...way back in 2010. Do it now, and make some memories for yourself and those close to you.
    As far as knowlege and skills...plenty of knowlege here. And if you work with trucks and tools and such, then you'll have no real problem doing this. Everybody here who has built a hot rod did it for the very first time once...and more often than not, with excellent results.
    As far as particulars, one biggy is that you'll need to box the frame. And to do a good job of it, it's best to do it in some sort of a jig to keep things straight while welding on it. You've got the right idea to keep it basic...many a project has not been finished because of sights set too high. You can always upgrade later with this car or another.
    I can't truthfully give you a good answer as to total cost...having not done a build from scratch. I remember guys in the '80s discussing if a car could be built for $10,000. They said it was difficult...but they were talking about a car that was expected to be fully painted and upholstered, with mag wheels, etc. Materials have increased in price dramatically, and even a basic build is gonna set you back some $. Others here might be able to be more specific on total cost...the guys who have actually done it. Even in today's ecomomy though, I've heard of guys building hot rods on very limited budgets. Maybe don't even do the bodywork for now...concentrate on the chassis and mechanicals first. Get 'er running, and goin' down the road, then fix the body as you can.
    Look the car over good. Verify that the frame is strong, and there aren't huge areas of rust-damage. The old saying goes, that it's better to spend more $ up front to get a solid body than to spend untold hours and a fair amount of $ fixing a crappy one...more enjoyable too.
    If a 2-door sedan turns your crank, then no problem. But if you've got your heart set on a coupe or roadster or other model, then go for what you really want. Although, as one poster said, the availability of old tin is getting slimmer and slimmer, and it may be best to go with what's available right now...as long as it'll make you happy...right now.
    Another thing...protect your shit. I've lost cars and parts because of trusting people I really shouldn't have. Keep a good eye on your stuff, and keep it near and secure. A small Model A body can easily be lifted into a pickup body and hauled away in minutes. And there are plenty of a-holes that will do just that. Try to not let that happen.
    As always, be careful...and have fun. I wish you the best of luck, and actually envy that you may be able to do this at such a young age. You go, dude. LOL.

13. If you have the space to keep it, I would go for it. At 18, you can start acquiring pieces, and knowledge, and keep it simple initially. As your funds, and ability increase, make modifications. Cost, is hard to predict, as there are so many options. I would advise making a commitment, to yourself to keep this car..you will be glad you did when you get into your fifties and older. If you keep this car, you will have many opportunities to change things out, as you and your interest in cars evolve. I know I wish I had kept a car from my youth. Good luck with it, they are cool cars.

14. rexrogers

rexrogers

A model a build is great car to start on and keep a budget most of the parts for the car are reasonable in cost. and frames ideas plans and parts abundant. like building a house start out with a good foundation build or buy a frame get the suspension up and going then fit the body and sheet metal work. Don't spend idle time trying to make the car look different or blow the budget on one expensive part.
    If you can start out with a good solid frame and drive train. then this can be a car you can still have when you 80 and still be drivable, a lot of folks get in a hurry and slap a car together and then only use the car for a few years before it has to be re worked. The good thing about these early cars is that if you find out that you want a coupe or a roadster later on the frame is the same.
    As you gain more skill and are comfortable in the build then take some risk and make some change to the car to add your thumb print to it. On chopping the car when you get to that stage if you have any doubt about talk with a local qualified rod shop and see if they will work with you on cutting the car. Most shops would be glad to help you out even if it is only for some advice, would rather see a car done correctly than to have another car that would have to be re cut later down the road.

Pick up the sedan and start looking every wear for ideas a good sound plan will help you keep the car on budget and to some sort of time schedule.
    A lot of rambling but its my two cents i don't know if any of it helps rarely does.

15. I love the coupe and roadsters, American Graffiti is one of my favorite movies... I have a feeling that was part of what infected me... as well as my dad taking me to the drag races when I was younger (my family was more atuomobile inclined when they were younger, but, like many, as they got older, family, work, etc. they didn't have the time for it), however, I know that I'm going to pay far more than I'm comfortable with to purchase one of those bodies, and I do like the tudor/ sedan style when done properly. I'm going to head back up to the yard sometime this weekend or Monday and get some photos of the body and frame as well as see what they want for the body, hopefully you guys can tell me what I would be looking at with its condition its in. I didn't see any structural damage, I did see dents on the fenders, but, no cracks or anything.

16. strawberry

strawberry

:D...what are you waiting for, do it ... if you don't want it maybe one of us ?
    how much and what is the address where we can pick it up,:rolleyes:

17. If the salvage yard wants more for it than I'm comfortable paying, I will certainly post info on where it is and who to contact.

18. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Listen son, I think this is to much a project for a beginner. It is easy to get overwhelmed with what is involved and the costs. I recommend you buy it and keep it for later. Put in a couple years doing modifications and helping on friends builds. In the meantime you can be reading and looking at other sedans for inspiration. Hit the swap meets and gather parts. There is a whole lot of satisfaction building your own ride, so get some experience then do it.

19. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I bought my 1st model A body and a welder the same month. 2.5 years on the build and still going at it... Go for it! Learn from the HAMB...

20. Billet

Billet

Other than considering buying a basket case car, you seem to be a intelligent person. Chances are "if" you end up with the old Ford you will slave away countless hours, often frustrated trying to finish a project that will never be done. Sounds like you might have already decided to jump into the deep end... the waters fine.
    Good luck!

21. brad chevy

brad chevy

Age don"t mean anything except you have alot longer to build it,go for it.you got a lot of plus"s going for you already,tools ,shop and desire.Good going.

22. Well, I went up to the yard again today to talk about buying it. Turns out the salvage yard doesn't own it, it's being kept there for a friend. Talked with the owner, said he would sell it for $25,000 after he built it the way he wanted it... which turns out to be a pastel colored mid-80s esque street rod that won't get driven (he's got a '31 built like that already, it's his car so he can build it the way he wants, but, I never like seeing good steel taken and used for a street rod that will only get drive a couple times a year... and with no style!)... Part of me tells me to save it from such a horrendous fate... the other part of me tells me that theft is a crime... so, drove home, saw another model A tudor body in another yard, went in and asked, they ain't selling either... well, hopefully these bodies are saved before they rust out into nothing but a heap of iron flakes...

Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open, not the only vehicular project I'd like to get started, either.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll deffinetly keep my ear to the ground for other projects and be asking questions when I get one sarted.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're funny. Pretty smart too. Oh well...other Model A bodies out there...maybe even something you'll like better. Good luck.

24. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

holy crap.....live-it & learn-it. Go for it kid. God gave you 2 ears & 1 mouth ......use em.
    good luck & keep us posted.