Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Front Engine Dragster update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carshopowner, May 14, 2010.

1. carshopowner

carshopowner

This is my first project where I have paid someone to build the project for me. The workmanship is such that I wanted to share it, so here goes

I have received these update photos from Roo Man (Roo Man Motor Sports (Keith Burgan)), you can see previous photos on my web site.

Glenn,
    I managed to get the shop computer working again so here are the pix from yesterday.
    KB

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. Thrillbilly

Thrillbilly
    from Joplin,MO

I always enjoy looking at the workmanship in roomans cars !

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Perfect art work.... You had one of the best working on that FED, Rooman....

What is the power plant ? Full body ?

More pic's....

4. hvychvy

hvychvy

Lookin killer.Man,I want one!! Someday:)

5. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Roo Man builds some nice stuff!

6. carshopowner

carshopowner

For now the power plant will be a stroked Pontiac 400 (461). This is the engine pictured and was in the Trans Am drag car I built. Next year it will get blown. As it sits it should push the FED to 8.5 in the 1/4 mile.

It will be a full body chute pack with body work over the roll cage.

There are pictures from start to this point here
    http://www.leverfamilysite.com/2010_Front_Engine_Dragster_Root.htm

I will post new progress pictures here as I get them. I will travel to see the car at the end of next week.

Attached Files:

7. carshopowner

carshopowner

More pictures from Roo Man

Here are some from today,

KB<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

Bitchin work!...and Pontiac powered to boot, that gets a BIG thumbs up from me...I can't wait to see it finished...

9. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

look'n good, I'm looking forward to following this thread .

10. Very nice! It's a good feeling to be building one, I know. ;) Great work!

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Roo never sleeps either. :D Lippy

12. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Very nice. Roo is the man.

13. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Will you have the car at Dunn Tire Park (Buffalo/Lancaster N.Y.) this August?

See you there?

14. carshopowner

carshopowner

Yes, I will be racing in the Wester New York Gasser Gang's new "Center Steer Class". My main hang out is "Empire" the old "NYIRP"

15. carshopowner

carshopowner

Attached Files:

16. Toner283

Toner283

Me Likey!

Looks good.

17. carshopowner

carshopowner

Keith has sent some update photos of the dragster.

There have been some setbacks so it does not look like it will make it to the June 12 Gasser Gang outing at Empire.

I am planning on a trip out to Roo Man's next week.

Attached Files:

18. WOW! Truly spectacular work. Reminds me of the day's growing up in Schenectady watching my dad build his front engine dragster. May you have many good memories with yours.

19. carshopowner

carshopowner

New pictures from Roo Man. Two are as he sent them, the other one I have cropped to get you a closer look at the engine in the chassis (Stroked Pontiac 400 (now 461)).

Attached Files:

20. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Rooman is my hero. That is some NICE work.!!!!!!!!!

21. carshopowner

carshopowner

Dragster Update.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Once again I will let the pictures do the talking. They tell a much better story then I can.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I will most likely head out there again in about two weeks. The rest of this week Roo Man will be preparing for Kentucky, and by the end of next week the chassis should just about be ready to be blown apart for power coat. I have done a walk around to give you a complete view of where the dragster is at.
    The thinking right now is it should be ready for me to pick up at the end of next month. After pick up, there will be about a month’s worth of work to be done to get it ready to go down a track. Here is hoping.
    Below is the link to the web site with lots of new pictures (remember to click the small picture for a larger one)
    http://www.leverfamilysite.com/2010_Front_Engine_Dragster_Week_2010_06_15.htm

Attached Files:

22. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I got so much wood right now!
    An oft repeated cliche on the HAMB,"I can't believe I hadn't seen this before".
    That is cool.
    I bet Steve Barrack (sic) will be jealous when he sees this.

23. rooman

rooman

Glenn is on his way back to Rochester right now and will post some new pix in the next day or so showing more of the bodywork.

Roo

24. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Lookin' forward to seeing some more. Sweet build!

25. carshopowner

carshopowner

Here are a couple of shots, I will do a web page update shortly.

Attached Files:

26. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

WOW! Love FED's.
    Keep up the great work!

27. carshopowner

carshopowner

Made the pilgrimage to Indiana again. <O:p

Progress has been made on several fronts. <O:p

Received the following message from Roo Man, "I will call you in the next couple of days so that we can arrange for you to come down when I strip the car down", so it looks like I will be heading back out again shortly. After much thought and input from many quarters I have decided to go ahead and powder coat the chassis.

Throttle linkage bracket at the engine is fabricated. The go pedal is almost ready.<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p
    The go pedal is installed with the all important throttle stop. The Team name is Throttle Stop Racing after all.<O:p

The bung for fuel is in the tank and is ready for larger hoses when the blower is installed. We are going to walk first and get used to the car and then add the blower. Research has already begun on what is needed for a blower engine, and yes it will be a Pontiac.<O:p

Bracket for the data recorder is installed; I am not looking forward to wiring it in. It is not needed to run the car down the track so it may get put off for awhile. My left foot is very itchy, I have not gone down the track yet this season and am tired of watching other people have fun.<O:p

MSD box is mounted and awaiting me to wire it in.<O:p

The Batmobile light is mounted (see the web site for pictures).<O:p

The dragster does fit into the trailer. There is a foot to spare at either end. Perfect calculation by Mr. Roo Man
    The floor of the trailer has been marked and I will be installing the hold downs to hold the dragster in place. I purchased the Mac's Drag Pack http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/260/Dragster. The trailer is sitting outside right now, but it is raining. I hope to start work on that tomorrow. <O:p
    Note also that the bridge over the gap between the trailer and the ramp has been installed. I have also installed a longer extension on the ramp. It is not quit long enough to allow the dragster to be rolled into the trailer without touching the "bridge". My solution will be to add the original flap to the end of the new one and raise that junction about 1/2 inch. That way I will never have to stack board to get the dragster in and out of the trailer.<O:p

See the link below to get to the web site update. <O:p

http://www.leverfamilysite.com/2010_Front_Engine_Dragster_Week_2010_07_13.htm.htm<O:p></O:p>

Attached Files:

28. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Stunning chute pack FED with a Caddy tail light, what more could you ask for, awsome.....

29. crapshoot

crapshoot

car looks bad ass, good job

30. deucegasser

deucegasser

Been watchin' this one. Damn Keith, the cage looks great. I too am physically handicapped(for an fed), shoulders and ass too wide. Glad to see it can be done and look good. Thanks for pics Keith and Glenn.