Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a paint guy to set me straight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped, May 12, 2010.

1. chopped

chopped

I just put some PPG two part primer on the Buick. I have some salt flat like cracks in it. I had wiped the car down with lacquer thinner, was that a no no ? If not that, what?

2. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

never pre clean with lacquer thinner. what did u primer over? lacquer? give a run down of the steps u used.

3. chopped

chopped

The car, a 64 had been repainted some time ago with what I don't know. I used a little bondo like filler and some glaze. Put rustoleum primer where I had worked on it first. The cracks are random, some , but not all where I worked on the body.

4. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

is it a catylized primer?

5. j_johnson

j_johnson
    from Iowa

I believe the rustoleum primer is your problem. The PPG primer attacked the underlying rustoleum

6. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

what did you sand it with before you primed it?

7. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I believe the "salt flat cracks" you are referring to is called "lifting" in the paint world. Proper procedure for that would be to sand to the base of the lift, in this case back to bare metal. If it is just in one spot, then follow procedure for spot repair. If it is the entire car, take it all to bare metal, hit it with 180 (some use 80 grit), use some wax and grease remover to remove any dust, wax and debris, then use a tack cloth and spray your primer (self etching primer preferred).

I may be wrong...pictures would help.

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Maybe the cracks were already there. Lippy

9. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I just read post #3. Could it be as Lippy said and the cracks were there already? Like when old laquer paint starts to give up the ghost?

10. Rustoleum is enamel based and the catalized stuff will eat into it. My guess.
    Needs to go to bare metal.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

The reason I said that is, you know how 2k catalyzed primer wont go into a pin hole? You can rub your finger over it while it's wet and it will. When you put catalyzed primer over a cracked surface it will do the same thing. It seems to be drawn away from the crack. Just guessing.I agree it needs stripped. Lippy

12. HELLMET

HELLMET

yep thats your problem. Rustoleum is a no no in the paint world.

13. chopped

chopped

No cracks were on it, I had washed the car with Dawn, sanded with 220 and washed again. The primer is "Shopline" JP202 with a reducer and a hardener' I got it from a PPG dealer here. I just sanded a couple of the 1/2 dozen places off, dosen't seem to be a common denominator. It did it over the paint, the filler and the Rusto, then again it didn't do it over all the same stuff.

More answers while I was slow typing, I can sand down to metal if needed, it's not the whole car. But it will be a pain. How bout just the places it cracked?

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Did you use wax and grease remover before you sanded it in the beginning? Lippy

15. chopped

chopped

Just the Dawn, I was typing when you were posting.

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

We will call you strip from now on instead of Skip. lol. Got any pics of this deal? Lippy

17. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Try and repair one spot and see if it happens again. If it doesn't "crack" again you should be good to repair the others. Just remember to not spray too "wet". That could also be a problem.

18. chopped

chopped

Just a fine pencil like line, they won't show up. And I'm calling myself a couple new ones right now. And I can't wait until the"why not hire someone to paint it" wife gets home!!

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Don't tell her!! Simply say, yep it's looking good hun!, no problems here, see ya later for supper. ;)

20. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

well if it did it on the old paint, i assume it's not to the bare metal unless the cracks were already there, and you say they were'nt, so i think you either put the first coat of primer on way to heavy, or you didn't wipe it off good and you left some kind of film on it that contaminated it and made it seperate. wet sand the affected area's and reprime it by dusting a tack coat first and then 2 wet coats after that. if it don't crack, wet sand it again w/320 and try not to sand thru it and put 2 more coats on it. if it cracks again, you'be taking it to bare metal. good luck.

21. chopped

chopped

First I pitch the Rusto, I'll let it dry overnight and try that. What can I wipe it down with?

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Skip,

Don't kick yourself over what you may or may not have done when it comes to paint work, there are plenty of people willing to do that job for you!

Ya learned somethin' that won't work and atleast this wasn't the top coat and ya had a couple grand tied up in paint materials. Sometimes ya can do everything to spec. and still have everything turn to shit, it happens!

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

23. Daddyo's garage

Daddyo's garage

Rustoleum will do that if you don't give it enough time to dry. It needs lots of time. Several days or even a week, depending on the weather. Once it's cured you should be ok. A lot depends on how heavy the Rusto was applied.

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

The Rustoleum is most likely the problem. I would take down any area that you applied the Rusto at least to the old paint, if not bare. Then try the primer again.

25. Ob1

Ob1

When I run into a lifting problem, I sand the lines away and apply a water based primer. As long as you dont break through the
    water primer layer, you are good from there.

26. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Look on the bright side. You just got your wifes blessing to have a pro paint it!
    Take it in, get it painted, hand her the bill & tell her you love her for being so understanding!

27. bikersteve

bikersteve

+1 to the rusto being the problem, sand the "cracked" areas down till they are smooth, to bare metal if needed, put a few dry coats of primer over to seal the area, sand the car, careful not to break through the surface and re-shoot the whole shebang, a few dry coats. wet coats will bite into the rusto. Take your time

28. chopped

chopped

Thanks for all the help, I'll check back tonite with the results.

29. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Don't feel too badly. I've painted bunches and a couple of weeks ago, I was getting ready to paint two bass guitar bodies. The plan was to epoxy prime, 2k, smooth and paint.

Snatched up my gallon of epoxy, added the hardener, let it set the 15 mins required, dumped it in the gun and sprayed the bodies. I thought it looked a little dark and man, it sprayed thick and was difficult. Got it done though.

Went back to dig up the 2k and noticed the epoxy in the rack. Hmmmm...why is the epoxy here, what's on the mix table....

Sealer. I sprayed sealer with hardener. Well...dumb mistake, let's go ahead and do what I wanted. Sprayed epoxy over the sealer. 2k over the epoxy and they sprayed well and it looked great.

Came in the next day to start sanding....huge 1/8" wide cracks all over both bodies.

Restripped them both. Glad it was only bass bodies and not a car. Sometimes I amaze myself by my idiocy.

30. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

Ditto what the others have said about the Rustoeum.

& you want to stay away from the Dawn as well, that stuff is mostly salt.... ;)