Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fresh nailhead rebuild, water in my oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nail-head, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Even thou your torque measurements on the heads read ok... If it wasnt done in order... It could can easily create a leak at the head gasket. Its very important to do them in a sequence working from the middle of the head and then from left to right. And tightening each head bolt to a series of torque specs. Usually about three times until you get to your final torque spec. if you dont do it in sequence the head will bend or twist just enough to create a gap in the head gasket and leak.
    Wish ya well and hope its nothing major.

2. madmax

madmax
    from Calif.

Nail Head, I have used the new front covers before and they DO NOT have a provision fo the DOWEL that is in the block to align the front cover, and the dowel protrusion is very short and can be missed. The end result is what appears to be bolted flush to the engine is not and will seal for a bit ( maybe ) and then crack the cover and leak water.
    Good luck, Max Sr. @ H & H

3. nail-head

nail-head

Hey, I forgot about this thread.

I finally solved the mystery, it was a casting defect in my brand new $500.00 timing chain cover...which, naturally, was the last thing I checked because hey, it's brand new, right?

No problems since I replaced it, nailhead is running great.