Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember when AMT Model Car Kit was $1.50

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, May 2, 2010.

1. metalman

metalman

Yeah, we had a "Duckwalls" dimestore that did a contest like that, to enter you HAD to but the model there to get an entry form. I had to be around 11 or 12, built a Chevy Blazer, cut it up and made it look like Hickeys Baja racer. Made it looked "used" fake mud all over it. Won first place, think is was my proudest moment as a kid. Won a small trophy and a free kit.
    When I moved a couple years ago I got a box out of my attic, in it was all my models from a kid including that Blazer, Mom had wrapped them all up and boxed them when I left home. 20 years in a hot attic was not kind to them. I closed my eyes and tossed them into the dumpster. Still hurts.
    I did keep a box full of old unbuilt kits and I do still have that trophy from Duckwall's!

2. metalman

metalman

Whoa... how did a double post happen???

3. Deuces

Deuces

It ain't the first time that's happened.....

4. Church Key

Church Key

As a kid growing up in Malden,MA... Buying a model kit was an all afternoon experience for me. I would walk downtown to Pleasant St., were all the stores were located. First stop was the Hobby Shop. They had a wall behind the counter full of models, parts packs, and on the top shelve was 1/8 scale Visable V8 and chassis. I would spend about an hour staring at all the kits, then leave the store. Next stop would be W.T. Grants, their selection wasn't that good. Off to Woolworth's, they had a great selection, another half hour or so goes by. Then to Jordan Marsh, they seemed to just carry Aurora Models. More times than not I would end up back at the Hobby Shop, to plunk down my $2.00 for a kit. I wish I could get that much enjoyment out of $2.00 these days.

5. burnt clutch

burnt clutch

I was doing a lookup on Revell's '57 chevy and noticed that they have offer a version of the 150 series "black widow". I tracked it down at the local arts and crafts store for $23.50! I guess I should start mowing yards again to save up for one!

-Karl

6. Deuces

Deuces

I picked that one up as soon as it came out.. These are getting expensive. It was just about 5 years ago they were only half that much. :(

7. customcory

customcory

I use to switch price tags when I was a kid when they went to 2 dollars:D

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Remember when Revell came out with their Parts Paks? I recently came across a Parts Pak that I found a few years ago...a 354 chrome Cadillac engine complete with a choice of a 4 bbl or a 6 deuce log manifold and a Hydramatic trans still in the see trough box.

9. Love those old black and white photos. I'm guessing that's downtown Pittsburgh?

10. edweird

edweird

$1.87 where i'm from.i would stand there at the walgreens for a long time before i could make up my mine which one i wanted. good memories!

Deuces likes this.
  11. brad chevy

brad chevy

When I was young,years ago,I was the kid in town everybody came to for parts and since I had a paper route,I could buy other kids model collections ,I was putting small block Chevies in Fords along time ago,Putting the older detailed models together taught me alot about cars.My Mom would get pissed off when I would use her black sewing thread for plugwires and not put it back in her sewing box. When they came out with the boring ass snap together models it really ruined the whole model car fad.I had alot of fun with the models and made pretty good spending money selling parts.

12. philo426

philo426

Here is the Revell Black Widow in a realistic setting. [​IMG]

13. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

I built em all as a kid ! typically liked amt the best revel had cool stuff but went together funny. Unfortunatly I blew most of my models up with m-80's after watching "the gouhl show" late night cleveland horror movies.

Ghoulardi rules ! ! stay sick and turn blue ! !

14. I still buy up old boxes when I run across them on evilBay or at model shows. Out of sight behind the 1/64 scale cars is a '57 T-Bird box and '40 Ford box. This is a shot from my model area.

Bob

15. philo426

philo426

Anyone remember this kit? [​IMG]

16. After building the Revell 1/32nd custom series, I got my first AMT (stands for Aluminum Model Toys) kit in 1958 (a Chevy convertible) for $1.29. They had six 3in1 convertible selections at the beginning in '58 (Chevy, Ford, Buick, Pontiac, Edsel and Imperial) later that year they came out with hardtop versions for $1.39. Those kits were magical and began an obsession with model cars that lasted until the Army called me up in 1965.

17. Labold

Labold

Even the little snap-tight ones are expensive now. My son turned 4 in April and (like most of us were) he loves to take things apart and put them back together, then take it apart and put it back together, and so on...
    I thought I would be buying him a couple of kits and ended up going to several different stores just to find models in general.
    Ended up only buying one 33 ford for $19:eek:

Now I am keeping my eyes peeled for cheap'ns for him to tear up and learn on. Ah, the fun of being a kid!

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 117harv

117harv

I HAD IT! Thanks for the memory flashback. The other post with the box, man cool artwork.

20. RodP

RodP

Gee Tommy I kinda like it.:(
    RodP

Attached Files:

21. I just saw quite a few model kits at a car show flea-market this past weekend and most were under $10.00. Also went by the model car isle at a local hobby/craft store the other day and some of the same models were $20.00 and up. Check eBay also, some pretty good deals there sometimes, even with shipping added there are a bunch under $10.00-$12.00.

22. I buy at car and model shows for the most part. Walk around and you more often than not find your best deal on a specific kit.

Michaels Crafts is pretty good when you use the 40% or 50% off coupon. They sometimes have them on the marked down shelf for less than 1/2 price.

I used to sell and buy a lot of models on evilBay, but now the shipping is getting ridiculous. I have more than enough kits onhand to last me the next 50 years anyway.

Bob

23. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

I built models as a kid and still do. The price is probably relative, the quality of the kits has improved alot. It's still a good hobby, my 22 year old son enjoys it. I buy most of my models at swap meets which usually is cheaper.

24. I still have mine also. I painted it some wild crazy colors a few years after i built it to give it more character.

25. philo426

philo426

Its not quite done yet and I added the tracks from a Panzer 2 but she looks pretty cool so far!

26. edweird

edweird

does any one remember one called the swine hunter. i think it was one of those BIG DEAL models.

27. Remember when every car kid could read the price code on the end of the Box? Man I remember em being 1.00-1.50 My Mom worked at a paper mill in the 60s and financed my car addiction my old man never found out and I'm not tellin him..............,

28. Deuces

Deuces

You ever see him pour homemade chicken soup in a condom?? :D That shit was funny! LOL :)

29. Model building is a fond memory for me and my best friend of 50 years. We would go to town in his sisters 63 Impala SS and I would watch her grab a gear. The local drug store/hobby store was called Schillings and the models were 1.50 and 2 bucks for the light blue plastic 58 chevy amt with the soft rubber slicks, remember that one! A can of Testors paint and glue and you were set. Over time you developed a collection of parts, one box for wheels and tires, a box for engine parts, etc. It was a time of learning to use your hands and mind. It took a little skill to lay down a candy color or some metalflake, or to get the decals on correctly. Many great hours were spent with my good friend dreaming of the next model. The 3n1 kits were treasures for parts. I rekindled some of this building with my sons but it did not develop too far as their world has other interests. Although they did develop into a rockcrawler, a drift racer, and musclecar enthusiast. The youngest is in training and can distinguish all models of the tri-fives:D:cool::eek:. I have a few models stashed when I reach my second childhood.....hmmm:eek::).

30. Our bike shop in town was the bomb for model buying. TSS (Times Square Stores) was good too and they discounted them. The local soda shop sold Lindbergs, Pyros and don't forget about those Palmers!

I still have my 1958 Chevy kit, built in the box with the soft slicks. I left it light blue and it really hasn't seen the light of day since 1969.

The old AMT paint was pretty good, I never used their lacquer, only the second generation line which went for 69¢ a can. I used to paint cars for kids in the 'hood since I was supposed to be pretty good. I look at some cars I did circa 1971 or so and they look pretty bad. I had no clue about candy paints, always wondered why it was so light and tended to run.

A bunch of us would get together and build all summer outside on my picnic table. I had a coat box from Gertz (department store) full of spare parts and would build a complete car out of it once in a while. One kid my age was a very advanced modeler for his age and I learned a lot from him.

Bob