Register now to get rid of these ads!

1.5" Thick or Thin whitewalls on 64 Impala?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 1ST SERIES, May 9, 2010.

?
  1. 1.25" Thick whitewall

37 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. 1/2" Thin whitewall

40 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. My vote's on skinny....but I'm biased a titch, maybe....

<------

2. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Those are Tru Classics with a 59 Spinner....I just sold a really clean set (you'll see in my avatar) but i have another set of hubs that are ready to be restored if your interested Michelle?...PM me your number & we can talk!!

Great looking 64...def pinners...I have some nos 5.60s listed :)

3. I remember when people thought Tru Spokes, Tru Classics, Cragars, & Supremes were cheesy & looked cheap! The used to say, "If you ain't got Dayton's, you ain't got sh!t!"

It's funny how things change. Original Tru Spokes & Tru Classics in good condition are like gold now. Just the other day, I heard some 20 somethings making fun of Daytons!

Honestly, I'm more into the Super Sport caps now. I'll still run my D's, but I'm kind of over them now. There are so many cheap, China made wires out there now.

4. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yea, admitedly, for a while I even thought of running Daytons. And then, they started looking too gaudy to me. That's when I knew that something a tad bit more traditional was for my particular taste. And to me, I miss those days when I would see big ole Chevy's pimping Tru-Classics with spinner knock offs and both sizes of white walls.

5. Wow, so far it's close. But it looks like thin whitewalls by a nose.

6. large-stache

large-stache

I voted for the skinny, like others have mentioned, I'm partial to skinny's on 60's cars, wide whites are for 40's and 50's cars.

7. chaco

chaco
    from Modesto,CA

But there is a difference between wide whites and a buffed/shaved 1.25 whitewall.

8. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Oh? Well, splain it to me like I'm a six year old. What's the difference?

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah theres a crap load of diffrence between wide and 1.25!
    1.25 would be my choice, w/ a 70 or 75 sidewall tire aint that thick.
    And to my opinion can look good w/ any classic wheel, maybe not the Ds too much,
    but sure w/ supremes, cragars, starwires and all the lot, it just depend on the car i guess.

10. chaco

chaco
    from Modesto,CA

Ok here goes. Wide whites have a white wall that starts from the most inner part of the side wall.All you see next to the rim is white. A shaved or buffed out white wall started out as a skinny whitewall, and has usually a 1/2 inch of black against the rim. The only stock tires that I remember having a 1.25 white wall with a decent profile where the remingtons and the arrivas. Having pinner white walls back in the day was like having something stock and that was fine in some circles. I think it was the individuals that had a rule that they could only roll on pinners. Skinny white walls were as square as having standard offset or 15 inch rims.
    So when you say wide white, it usually means about 2 inches plus of white wall that starts inside the rims lip. A buffed or shaved white wall is a modified skinny that is now wider. This sh!i aint science, every one calls things different. Thats just how we call it where I'm from.

11. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Oh! Right on. So, its the larger whites that started life as skinnys and still has a left over 1/2 of black near the rim to prove it.
    Ah, now I get it. See how much I have to learn here.:cool:

Thanks Chaco for the schoolin.:)

12. Chaco's right. Check out the tires on my car in the 1st pic at the beginning of this thread. Those are 175/75/14 Cooper Trendsetters with a shaved whitewall. It kind of looks like the whitewall starts at the rim, but there is about 3/4" of black tire between the rim & whitewall.
    I'd never put WIDE whites on an Impala. The last year wide whites look good on is a 1961 Impala, but it has to be slammed. Wide whites on 62's & newer just looks like ass.

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Skinny.

Attached Files:

14. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'd go with the 1.25" whitewall because you're running the 'caps.

Can't really go wrong either way.

15. After seeing that pic Brian, I think I'm leaning towards the 1.25".

16. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Hey, I usually ride my scoot out to this joint. Way cool place to watch the surfers.
    [​IMG]

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It was a nice trip from Kalamazoo MI in the Impala to have oysters and beer, and watch surfers!

18. chaco

chaco
    from Modesto,CA

Anytime Michelle, People in different places have different names for things, so it is not absolute.

I really like those early chevy sport sedans, Nice 62 Brian.

19. They look fine on the ol' beast.

Why waist your money on something that you don't need.

20. I think that's the way to go, too...

21. Neither, sell the car and by a 59. Just kidding. Go with the skinnys, letter "love machine" in the back windows, put some dingle balls hangin from the headliner, chain stearing wheel and ull have a car like cheeches. :)

22. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

That sounds like a good idea!!

23. cwomack

cwomack
    from Kansas

I definitely like the wide whites, I have a 64 and I'm looking at some 205/75/14s that have a 1.3 inch whitewall. They are "custom cruisers" from Tucker Tire on ebay. Do you know anything about them? They are a good price. I'm going with the wide white on black steel wheels look.

24. I haven't seen the "custom cruisers". I'll hit ebay & check them out. BTW, I wouldn't really call those wide whites, unless they start at the rim. Not to mention, wide whites are usually at least 2". I don't think wide whites belong on anything newer than 1961. 1.5" is the largest whitewall that looks good on a 62 & newer Impala. IMO.

25. cwomak, I just checked out the tires on ebay. You can find cheaper ones with the same size whitewall. Google Champiro 75 or Enduro Runway 75. If seen them for around $50 each plus shipping. They also have a 1.3" whitewall. They go as small as 185/75/14 or 205/75/15 if you're running 15" wheels.