Register now to get rid of these ads!

channel questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bn48chevy, May 7, 2010.

1. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

ive done a search and found a few answers but still wondering if anyone has a link to a good step by step instructions with pictures on channeling?
    i am doing a frame swap of a 47 chevy fleetline on an s10 frame i am going to need to channel it what is the best way to go about it? if i take rims and tires off and set frame on ground then set body on ground would this work? being its a frame swap i will be channeling different amounts in different spots is that seem normal? the front by firewall has the frame sitting tucked under rockers but in front of rear tires its 4 inches or more higher is it normal to channel different amounts?
    for the bracing for the floor do you weld right to rockers for the framing of the floor?

2. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

When swapping the body to a different frame, with intentions to channel the body, the short answer is remove the floor. Then position the body vertically where you want it and re-attach, or fabricate and attach new flooring.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

X2.............short, sweet and to the point. You wouldn't do what you are proposing 'piecemeal'........that is, a little bit of floor at a time.....

Ray

5. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Try doing a search on s-10 frame swaps. It's basically the same steps in theory, you're still making change to the floor in order for it to fit the frame properly.

6. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

k ive read through the treads now does anyone have a thread that has some pics of channeling or of building a floor? pics would realy help me alot

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No offense intended, but if you cannot visulaize the process, at least somewhat, perhaps you should reconsider the project.

That said, think of it this way.......In general, you remove the existing floor, leaving perimeter structure, (rocker panel/sills/firewall/rear wheelhouses, etc.) and lower the body over the intended frame (which at this point should be on jack stands/blocks etc.), both at intended ride height. If it were me doing the job, I would start with the driveshaft tunnel, trans hump, floor kickup to trunk area, then build outward to the side sills.
    The floor will need bracing underneath......'hat' section channels can be fabricated easily by any sheet metal shop, welded under the floor, both crosswise and longitudinally. Try to duplicate the shape and attach points of the original body mounts to the floor and chassis of the car.

To recap, essentially you want to duplicate the shape and function of the original floor/mounts at a different height relative to the body (now "channeled) making modifications to it's shape to accommodate the different contours of the new frame where necessary. Hope this helps.............

Ray

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yes, all of the above & do a lot of mocking-up so you know you're in a desirable driving position & that the channel does not interfere with anything, incl. north & south suspension travel. Here's a couple of shots of my channel, which would be a lot easier than yours. It was my first & I really took my time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you do a search, there are pics of various fabricated substructures. I didn't do a lot of welding, aside from the floor frame unit. I bolted my framework to the frame & to the cab, for the most part. Make sure you use sufficient rubber between the floor & the frame.

10. lawman

lawman

Here is a few pictures that may help you. The Cab is a 38 chevy and the frame is a 51 chevy 1/2 ton. The cab was cut 7 1/2" in the front and 3" in the rear. The floor was removed and 1 1/2" tubing was used for the new floor frame.If you have more questions please ask.Tom ( Tired Old Man)

Attached Files: