Register now to get rid of these ads!

Petronix info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldskool27T, May 10, 2010.

1. Oldskool27T

Oldskool27T
    from Tyler,Tx.

I'm looking at a distributor from Bubba converted with petronix. I've had some people tell me they have heard of trouble with petronix. What do you think?Thanks for any info:)

2. 36tbird

36tbird

Bubba built me a Chevy no vacuum dist. for my flathead with a Pertronix in it and it is working great. Make sure you follow the Pertronix directions to the letter, good grounds and no ballast resistor. Do a search on here and I think you will read about many folks pleased with Bubba and Pertronix.

3. I got tired of changing the points.It's not a hassle, but they tend to go out on me on the most inconvenient time. I've installed a couple on my buddy's cars and they haven't had an issue.Just keep a points kit in the glove box just in case.

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm a fan of points but I had a mallory dual point that would just eat them up. I finally put the pertronix II in it about a year ago and I've been happy so far.

5. Bubba don't peddle junk! with any electronic part their is a risk but i personally have owned no less than 6 and they have been fine. he stands behind his products whick says loads.

6. dyman

dyman

bubba did my mod a rpu no probs starts immediatly.........he's the man

7. From what I hear, Bubba is the guru - trust him. I'm running an 8BA unit in my flattie w/Pertronix and other than my stupidity, it runs like a clock. As others have said a set of points or a whole distributor ready to go w/points as a spare is good for that "just in case" scenario

That all being said, the only problems I've heard about the units are install mistakes (keeping the ballaster, crossing the wires, etc - ask me how I know - LOL) and the older units had trouble w/generators vs an alternator. Others hopefully will chime in here commenting on that.

8. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I will admit 5 years ago i wouldnt install a pertronixs part at any cost !!!
    Today we have a much better product and they have sold a zillion units since then.
    The biggest issue is using a correct igntion coil with the box. Follow the directions, use the right coil ( this issue got so bad we have had a Indiana company make us up our own " bubba" unit) and use clean connections etc and they seem to last forever.

Bubba