Register now to get rid of these ads!

1% car clubs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clik

Clik

While I am on the downhill side of fifty seven and have owned and driven all sorts of cars and trucks from customs to street freaks I was never in a Car Club. I was mostly into motorcycles (even if they had 500+ HP car motors in them).

I have associated with many M/Cs over the years and some of them are "1%" M/Cs.

One of the 1% M/Cs in my area started out as a Car Club in the fifties and morphed into a M/C. Most of their members aren't old enough to remember that.

I saw a C/C President in California interviewed on a Hot Rod TV show who claimed they were a 1% Car Club. Does that carry the same
    connotation that 1% does in the M/C world?

Does anyone keep a list of Car Clubs to prevent the duplication of names like is common in the M/C world?

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I highly doubt it means the same thing. A real 1%er in a biker is one thing but I don't see any car club or car of any type owner living by the same meaning

3. CAnt wont mean the same thing and even trying to equate the two is a disrespect the real 1% M/C clubs.............what a bunch of bullshit!

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

hmm. i would imagine spouting off with 'I'm in a 1%er car club" would be enough to get your ass severely kicked by a true 1%er biker. it's not something they take lightly. this is the same reason i wouldn't ever wear a 3 patch car club jacket.

5. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I have to admit I have been noticing a bit of a phony 1% thing with some of the car clubs, and the ones I see this stuff on are the ones that usually have four door 60's cars or pure "rat rods" in the negative sense of the word and carry a ton of attitude.

I think the thing that bothers me more is the white power related stuff I have been seeing recently like "88" patches and SS lightning bolts with the 1% patch and phony rocker style stuff.

I really bet the 1%-ter MC's will not approve.

6. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Yep!

7. Abomb

Abomb

1%er has absolutley no meaning in the "car club" world. The term comes from the AMA ( American MOTORCYCLISTS Association). After the incident in Hollister CA, in the late 40's, the AMA publicly denounced the actions, saying that 99% of motorcyclists were honest, law abiding citizens, and the problems in Hollister stemmed from the 1% of those who weren't. Anyone who would attempt to apply the term to a car club is most likely a complete poser......

Since I'm a member of a MC that wears a 3 piece patch ( we don't wear the 1% patch although the AMA considers us an Outlaw club, they have weird bylaws), I would probably die of laughter if I ran accross someone in a car club wearing a 1% diamond. There are Brothers in my MC that probably would adminster an ass kicking right then and there for general stupidity, and the disrespect to MC's in general.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  8. You really have to go back to the early '50s to find 1%er style hot rod clubs, i.e. in the biker sense of the term. In those days, hot rodders were often considered outlaws who committed crimes ranging from stealing hubcaps (heaven help anyone with Fiesta spinners on their Oldsmobiles - usually taken off the left-hand (street) side!), to grand theft auto, to robbery and drug dealing.

This provided the fodder for so many B-movies of the era...

Many clubs, wanting to distance themselves from the rougher element, had rules covering everything from driving behaviour and car quality through to a rigid dress code - the famous L.A. Roadsters required its male members to wear a collared shirt, tie and slacks from around 1956 through to the mid-1970s!

Drag strips, such as Lions in Long Beach, CA, were created to try to curb street racing which was considered a scourge in SoCal almost six decades ago.

I'd have my doubts about there being true 1%er car clubs (in the biker sense) and agree with shooter54's and fifTsix's opinions. I've been there (on sickels) and know the difference.

Outback likes this.
  9. 1%er car clubs, hmmmm? Who might get beat down by 1%er bikers? For calling themselves 1%ers? Do you guys really believe those guys care what the car club dorks do? .

10. Von Franco

Von Franco

In the early 60s the S.F. chapter of the HELLS ANGELS tried to do A small chapter of A
    CAR CLUB, well it didn't last to long, and yes there were Car Plaques. I have only scene
    A few and even at some swap meets, CRAZY MAN.....................

Outback likes this.
  11. Heo

Heo

Stupid insecure kids playing dressup
    in ratrods

12. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Ah, i can see it now. All the roadster and coupes rolling in to dragstrips taking
    over beating down everybody, drinkin, smoking, gettin wound up, drive'n them
    rods through the crowds up to the front of rock concerts, they would be the
    terror of the roundup, everyone sceared to even look there way. Seeing roadsters
    lined up on the side of the roads with the cops shaken down. Some reason there
    just seems to be somthing wrong with that pic. lol.

13. Fenders

Fenders

If I started a club of Hanson (made in Atlanta, GA) owners, would we be 1%ers?

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

LOL, I have read all of the posts on this thread, I like this on the best...

15. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I've heard of these type of groups before. I know of three major male gangs (The Sharks, The Jets, and The T-Birds) and one major female gang (The Pink Ladies). These groups are real menacing and VERY organized as everything I've seen from them seems well "choreographed"!!!

Outback likes this.
  16. Choptop

Choptop

why associate yourself with ANY club that claims to be "outlaws"?

Really you are proud that you violate the rights of others?

Theft? Ass kickings? Saying "we break the law maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!"

really? you rebels you.

stupid really.

here is an idea. do your own thing. Dont screw with others or others property.

the whole 1% thing has been so completely perverted over the years its not even funny. It used to mean we arent part of the AMA, now it means we make crank and steal your shite. Something to be proud of for sure.

Hot rodders have had to fight this image problem from the beginning, why on God's green earth would anyone want to evoke this image of "we are outlaws maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!" is beyond me.

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

1% car clubs only existed in those awful Hollywood movies, where all the rodders were trouble makers. The real car club guys of the 50's and 60's were just guys who liked cars. They also wore the same colored pants and short-sleeve shirts with those crappy skinny neck-ties, which, if worn today, would be all the more reason to get beat up. They were anything but bad-boys, unless they were out past curfew or caught sharing a six-pak between ten other guys....:):):)

The 1% bikers would make the car club guys run as if they had a box of lit sparklers in their shorts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exGJsv6ZNlo

18. Man that crappy singing deserves a beat down!

19. Heo

Heo

Probably

20. Larry T

Larry T

Phil,
    Most 3 piece patch holders that I've met have the attitude that they don't want anyone benefiting from what they work for without paying their dues. So they (at least some of them) care if you are imitating them in any way.
    Larry T

21. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Hot rodders cant be 1%ers, old ladies are not afraid of old cars!!

22. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Maybe the History Channel will do an episode of Gangland on 1% Car Clubs.

23. Paul B

Paul B

I can see it now. Get pulled over for Nothing, get your picture takend ,go thru your shit then tell you cant have that Ball peen hammer in your car it's a weapon. Dont think you really need the hassles .

24. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

this thread should be closed....very soon

25. GuyW

GuyW

I remember reading in a car mag that some of the early car clubs were the same as the bike clubs, and some morphed from car to bike. Of course, 40s-50s bike clubs were not the organized crime outfits they now are...

Even in the 60s, there was close interaction between some bikers and roadster clubs....

26. borndead327

borndead327

I saw some of those at the roundup this year. Patches with bottom rockers from "tornado alley" funny stuff. Tuff guys at a car show

27. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

That is likely OUR chapter from Texas/Oklahoma.
    That's why Tornado alley. It's not just Texas...
    They are one chapter of ours that chose to wear rockers, Jersey also did ( JERSEY IS NOW DEFUNCT!!!), with COMPLETE approval from any powers that be, but we ARE NOT 1 %'ers!!!!!!! READ: NOT 1%'ers, NOT TRYING TO BE 1%'ers...
    We have no "business" aspect.
    We are respectful to all, but not involved in the least. We are a bunch of guys, who build and drive pre-64, traditionally-styled cars, that is all.

Most of us in the club worldwide, ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT WEAR ROCKERS, because of the confusion it can cause, the connotations, and out of respect...
    ROAD DEVIL's ARE NOT 1% ers...
    Nor are we affiliated with any.

That is a whole other world, as anyone who really knows...well...KNOWS.

Some of 'em down in Tornado alley might be tough, though...but that's not their fault...;)

They just are what they are...

It's a shame....I predicted all this horseshit would come about around 5 years ago...just a matter of time.

28. dannyego

dannyego

I know car clubs with 1% bikers in them. would that make them a 1% car club by default?

29. I'd bet they'd think this was a good idea over on kilbillet dot com.:p:D

30. haychrishay

haychrishay

Diddo that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.