Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to UN-r*t the Rod,27 chrysler rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Feb 13, 2010.

1. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah, my thought exactley! :D

2. HotRod33

HotRod33

Looks like your going to have a pretty nice hotrod when you get done.... I don't think yours really was a rat rod... but you can be alot more proud of it now when you get it done....

3. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Here we go again I decided to tackle the roadster doors, I made up some hinges using 1/4" X 2" bars stock and turned out the ends from some 3/4" hot roll, I've just got 1/4" bolts in them for now until I find some 5/16 hardend shaft to finish them with. they still need some finish work I'm thinking about polishing them and triing my hand at electoplating them with nickle.... whe will see.

I didn't take pictures when I built the first door because I didn't know if my plan would work, but I think I cand get there frome here so I documented the second door.

I didn't get it to fit the jambs very well and had to pie cut the skin at both end to fix it,(I thought I had measured prety carefully but I think it was lost when the skin was streached?...

[​IMG]

inside

[​IMG]

My dad and I turned out these beadroller dies to form the style line, they worked pretty well, but we learned a few thing for the next set we make. It's great to have the machine equiptment and knowledge available it makes a lot of projects possible for sure.

[​IMG]

starting the drivers door, I mounted the hinges and bent the frame out of 16ga

[​IMG]

just used a 4' level to make sure the hinges were verticle to make the door swing flat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used my tipping dies to make the curved flange that will meet the door skin.

[​IMG]

fitting

[​IMG]

top and bottom made in the same way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

measured and cut the skin, then folded up the edges

[​IMG]

the top remains square buth the sides and bottom get folded completely

[​IMG]

I don't have my english wheel working yet, and I want to get this going for a local show next month so I had seen a tech article in classic truck's pofessor hammer section that used a drawn on grid where you would strike each intersection of lined with a hammer to form a compound curve, so I gave it a wirl, I won't say its as good as wheeling it but it does work.

[​IMG]

fitted to the door I alsoused the shrinker on the top flange to give it the proper curve.

[​IMG]

The door gaps are crappy just like the outher side was, rather than pie cut I think I will try to use this panel as a template to make the adjustments on a new sheet to see if I can get it closer, I think I can start it over faster that doing all the welds for the pie cuts.

[​IMG]

ran out of time in the shop so I'll finish the doors tuesday

[​IMG]

Well don't let your meat loaf!!!!

Robert

4. kieran

kieran
    from San Diego

looks really good!

5. guiseart

guiseart

wow - good build. Got more gumption than I do.

6. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

You got MAD skills brother!!!

7. freebird101

freebird101

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, the grill looks pretty good on it especially since it is standing up straight like it should be.

Especially after it got reworked. (note to self, read the whole thread before posting).

It looks like the car is taking on a new life of it's own. And a whole new personality to go along with it. Looking great.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  9. you've been working hard and it's def. starting to pay off..nice job!

10. don't know why I didn't see this before now, but this thread is a huge inspiration, great job!

11. Very cool thread. I'm gonna keep my eye on this one. :D

12. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Thanks for the props, I will have three solid days next weekend I'm hoping to have the metalwork finished and start preping for paint. there is a really bitchin show in palouse washington I'd like to drive it to on the 5th of may, Sounds like a long shot but I have all parts other than new front wheels so I think it will go pretty fast,
    Robert

13. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Dam fine metal work you have some great skills. Do you work in the "hot rod" industry or just a tinkerer type person like most of us?

14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I'm a tech at an a/c delco garage, people ask why I work on cars all week and then do it for fun in my time off but it's really not the same as fixing the climate control on granny's cadilac:rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments!!!

15. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I just stumbled upon this thread myself. Subscribed!

16. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Nice work Look forward to more progress photos!

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Hell you have a whole year get crackin!! Nice work by the way!:D

18. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Ya I guess that would be 5th of june:D

19. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Great work! Your metal fab work is impressive. The project is coming along and looking cool.

20. Kerry67

Kerry67

Call it what you want....I think the thing was cool the way you had it. Rat Rod (does not bother me) or not, I liked it.

21. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Hey, you just created a new term....Re-Rod! Good job, looks cool!

22. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Excellent work! Love the direction your going.

23. Kerry67

Kerry67

Exactally. Not everything that is called a Rat Rod is a hokey POS. The term can and is used on some pretty cool cars such as this one. So, no need to get bent out of shape over it. As long as it is not just crap for shock value, it can be cool. This was and is going to be a killer Rod. Put what ever word you want in front of the word "Rod" and it will still be cool.

24. Glad you came around, excellent work! I may have to steal some ideas for the doors on my T.

25. Love your work and the redo of your car is looking really good - keep the info coming!!

26. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

LEONARD...you realy do have a great foundation to work with. to me the only thing that was a little ratty, was all the rust. that old hoopy is going to be fine when you finish. brother i would love to have what your starting with. NO it was never A RATROD, just a very good project for the right person. which YOU very clearly are...POP.

27. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Well I'm at the end of day two of three days that I have to work on the car while my wife is out of town, keeps me out of trouble and I'm getting a ton done!(but mostly keeps me out of trouble:p)

I built the replacement door skin and it fit much better, and then rolled the bead into it and tacked it to the frame.

[​IMG]

then welded the skin all the way around the door to the curved lip I had rolled into the frame

[​IMG]

Next was time to move on to the tail lamp panel, it was paper thin or less in a few places.

[​IMG]

cut out

[​IMG]

then i sand blasted the inner panel and hit it with some duro extend

[​IMG]

made up a patch and started fitting it

[​IMG]

then rinse....

[​IMG]

and repeat

[​IMG]

I moved the bead in so I could cuntinue it on the trunk lid when I make it just for something added

[​IMG]

next I popped the body off and fixed some loose ends under it then painted and undercoated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the fun began:rolleyes:...... I hate sanding, and I was going to pay someone to take it from here but I decided I would rather use the money to buy some new front wheels, and I am capible of doing it(but if you tell anyone I WILL deny it)

after about six hours of puting it on and taking it back off:cool:

MUDD's OUR BUDD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'll be able to finish the body work tomorro if all goes well and then maby prime it next week, I'm really not going for show quality so I wont be guide coating it, but I think it will look pretty deacent.

Thanks for all the encoragement it helps keep a guy headed for the finishline for sure.

28. Awesome, It didnt start out to bad. I have seen some of the nastiest rat rods ever in hollywood. One that comes to mind especially. Its a 30's rat rod with a chop that looks like it was cut up by a 8 year old. They split the roof into 4 pieces! Sunk in in the middle. Disaster! That car has a lot of potential. Great work. cool thread. Great choice to change it. Like someone else said. "Ull enjoy it much more."

29. DJCallaghan

DJCallaghan
    from Australia

Inspirational. I'm a whole lot more confident about making doors for my 27 Chrysler touring nnow that I've seen how you went about it:D.
    Thanks from 'down-under'

30. sololobo

sololobo

Very impressive conversion, I am seeing this as a trend as folks realize it was a passing fancy and that rusty gee gaws thrown together are soon uncool after the shock factor is over. I am very impressed with your excellent craftsmanship. My brother has a home built car which he ran in raw metal and some folks dubbed it a "rat" out of lack-o-knowledge, it is now beautifully finished and is so cool it isn't legal! You my man are to be credited with a cool save. Thanx for sharing the re-build. ~Sololobo~