Register now to get rid of these ads!

Por 15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, May 9, 2010.

1. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

This really ain't too Techincal but the question is.

HOW DO YOU GET THIS SHIT OFF OF YOUR HANDS ??

I know I shoulda worn gloves !!!!!!!

I have tried Laquer thinner, nail polish remover, Orange Go Jo, and I'm about to try a wire brush.

I know, just live with it and it will wear off eventually, but is there an easier and quiker way?

B:confused:B

2. Time. Once it gets dry it's a part of you for a few days.

3. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Yep, once it's dry only time will get it off.

Doc.

4. Bob, I found that naphtha(sp) is the only thing that will cut this stuff but if it's already dry it's harder to get off, after having this problem several times ( read= I didn't learn the first time) I found that soaking your hand with baby oil helps speed up the process, it kinda gets under it and helps to release it from the skin.
    Hope that helps.

5. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

It will sluff off with time. Most of our household dust is human skin particles.

6. historynw

historynw

Difficult isn't it, I had it run down my arm. Took a while and lots of scrubbing (hurts).

On the other hand it spilled on the painted concrete outside a friends shop back in 1995. The section with the spill is still there the rest of the paint is long gone.

7. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Yeah, gotta be careful with this stuff. Was under a car and didn't care how much dropped on the shop T-shirt I was wearing. Didn't think about it bleeding through the fabric. Took the shirt off and looked like a dalmation dog for awhile.............

8. McDeuce

McDeuce

Once it dried on me ... I got it off, I had to pick and scrap it off .... but a couple layers of skin came with it.

9. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

I also found out the hard way, Should wear off in about a week

10. dannyego

dannyego

take a washcloth and some soap. Its really not that hard to get off. You might be a little red but its really no harder to get off then regular paint

11. chevyshack

chevyshack

Ive used chassis savor. Its alittle cheaper then por-15 and a single stage. Took me 2 weeks to get it off my wrists and arms. I had gloves on. I scrubbed with orange clean every day till it hurt to bad to continue.

12. Sorry Bob, you are f--ked.
    That stuff is wicked. Give it 6-10 days, with regular washing, lots of soap, and good terry cloth wash rags should take care of it.

13. zzford

zzford

If you're a real man, a wire wheel will easily remove it.

14. Okay Gnome Brain read the damn can before using. Also don't spray this shit without a mask. If you do you will know why. As far as getting it off, everybody i know that got it on them had to let it wear off ( 3 - 4 days ).Have fun sambo hands.

15. The wire brush works best. A little advice, next time have a "friend" do the application for you. Tell him you down in your back or some other flimsy excuse and could sure use his help. Might work.
    Later,
    Dick

16. vert1940

vert1940

better be a damn good mask too....it takes me to bronchitis almost right away if i don't.nasty shit in the lungs

17. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

bob,put some tight rubber gloves an with a little water in each one and wear those suckers around for a few hours..the por 15 will come off.

18. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

It took about 5 days for the little speckles to come off my forearms. That was with some scrub-brushing. It is way harder to get off than regular paint. The water in the gloves thing sounds interesting. Kind of trying to sweat it off. Just might be worth a try. Other than that I wouldn't rush it. It's gonna hurt.

19. Racewriter

Racewriter

Gloves are good. I've used POR-15 and never had this problem. But I read the directions, and the guys at the paint store were pretty emphatic.

20. 57FORD

57FORD

have you ever painted over a wet surface with that stuff? it seems to stick better lol. since were made up of what? over 50% water, that stuff will stick on you like fly's on Sh&^

21. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Brake Kleen or Gas

22. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

bob, i helped a buddy do this last sat.....its still on my elbow and forearm...but it wearin off..........

23. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I work in the Glass trade.(30yrs) , sealing,attaching,glass ,mirrors....etc.I sometimes work with pretty nasty stuff.totaly by accident i tried wd-40 .takes most anything off skin,tools ,carpet .I don't know why, but that stuff works.The urethane that is used on newer cars windshields is black and is permanatelike india ink.takes it off. good luck

24. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Super glue remover will cut it. Also nitromethane.

25. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

Been there. Green Scotchbrite pads. Put one in the shower, soap it up real good, and scrub away. After a few showers it will be gone. After you get out, put skin lotion on the areas, and it will soften things up for the next time. Is it me or does this sound perverted?.....:D "It puts the lotion on its skin..."(Silence of The Lambs)

26. havi

havi

My thought was Permatex gasket remover. If it works on powdercoating, why not on POR15?

27. Brickster

Brickster

If you want it to not look so bad you going to have to paint the rest of yourself that way the spots you have now won't stand out.

28. 60 ford

60 ford

It shows youve been busy in the shop wear it proud,till it wears off.

29. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

yeah but a good grinder is faster.

30. chubbie

chubbie

If you get a black spot, RUN for the lacquer thiner immediately! wont take it off:p but now you have a big gray area! more better!!