Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding a leaking fuel tank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Orn, May 4, 2010.

1. budd

budd

ok MR. FBI man, tomorrow we will find out..lol

2. kustom66cat

kustom66cat

that 2 part epoxy works great while your saving to buy a new one. If you get a new one you shouldn't have to worry about it for the rest of your life time

3. I'm not afraid of death, but I do not want to die under embarrassing circumstances doing something foolish and/or dangerous. I don't want to spend eternity hearing people say, "There's ol' Wadsworth--he's the one I told you about who thought he could weld that gas tank..."

4. Yes, no one wants to purposely become a candidate for a Darwin Award.

5. eddieb

eddieb
    from Sharon SC

Gas tanks are cheap. I see on here where people spend 10k on chrome. Thousands for cars that look like they rolled down a mountain. A new tank is a small expenditure. If you can't afford a new tank, use epoxy or find a hobby that you can afford. To weld on a gas tank is just plain dumb. Worse yet, you might hurt someone other than yourself. Don't try it. If you see someone else doing it....run as fast as you can. Do you guys realize actually how little gasoline fumes it takes to cause an explosion?

6. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

A leak is a gas tanks way of saying "REPLACE ME"
    Mike

7. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

The question was "will diesel explode when not under compression?" and the answer is still NO. How can I be sure.... the answer is that is part of the hazardous device technician curriculum all common household chemicals that have been used in devices are tested by the students so they will know what to expect when they encounter a device made from those things and gasoline and diesel are the first things tested under all conditions specifically confined or unconfined.

Your point is debatable.

8. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Diesel is considered a Combustible liquid at Ambient temperature.

The Official flash point is >62C (143F). Variations may occur through blending or seasonal grading.

A temperature of 62C (143F) can easily be achieved through exposure to direct sun or proximity to vehicle exhausts.

Agitation of the fuel increases the concentration of fuel in the vapour and hense the vapour pressure.

I have been told by several truck drivers that they have checked their tanks fuel levels using a lighter for illumination and had them "WOOF" in their faces.

They admitted that this was an obviously stupid thing to do, but Hey! "It's ONLY DIESEL"!!!!

Contamination of Diesel fuel with gasoline can occur through residue in commonly used piping, tankers, fill & transfer hoses, spill drains & fittings. This will lower the flash point. (say to. < -40C & -40F)

The question was "will diesel explode when not under compression?" and the answer is YES It CAN & MAYBE IT WILL. :eek:

9. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Made a new or a new one buy or use a tank from somting else but not weld in one

I have try to weld one with water in but the water fuck up the weld and still leaked

If you want repair go to a radiator shop or epoxi glue it or use silcone
    Crewing gum last for 24 hours so you can fix a panic leak with it and it works but only for max 24 houres and a week for diesel

/Stefan

10. Scott Hightower

Scott Hightower
    from Georgia

Clean it out and fill it with an inert gas while you are welding. Be sure to keep the gas flowing during the entire process.

Scott
    Fab Manager
    http://www.welders360.com/

11. adam401

adam401

As far as the welding a gas tank while its full of gas, I've heard this a few times from different sources, two of which are supposed first hand accounts. FUCK THAT. I don't care what science or theories or experience or anything you can throw at me, I would shit my pants . I wanna know who the crazy bastard was that tried it first.

12. budd

budd

13. Orn

Orn

14. Diavolo

Diavolo

I am amazed that this is even a debate. I watched my brother take a tank out of his truck, fill it almost to the top with water, and proceed to instantly turn a 18 gallon tank into a 30 gallon tank with splits along both sides at the seams. Shortly after, we got another tank from the junkyard.

Just because it didn't kill you 90% of the time doesn't mean it's not stupid. I've seen masters of steel on this site, I know 2 part epoxies will stand up to the repair job. If you need to fix it more than 2 tubes of JB weld can fix, you need another tank. With the amazing talent you folks have for bending and flanging and shaping and rolling steel, there is absolutely no reason to put yourself in jeopardy by welding up a trashed tank. If you are considering this and you aren't one of the steel gods from this site, you probably shouldn't be welding on a tank anyway.

There are many places I will skimp on spending money. Blowing my stupid ass up (or blowing out the tank) because I was too cheap to have a master do the job for me or spend the money on another tank means I got what I deserved.

Seriously folks...

15. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Woofing is NOT an explosion it is combustion there is a difference in the speed of the combustion between burning and exploding and diesel does not burn fast enough to "Explode".

The difference between the two fuels is the volatility the speed of the release of electrons to create "fumes" volatile particulate. Diesel is not volatile enough to explode.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  16. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

i had a bunch of rust holes in the top of the tank, plan was to take it too a radiator shop and put a top of another tank i had that was crushed in at the bottom.
    eventually the car had to go on the road, didnt have the time or money to do the repair so i bought some of that 2 part metal like epoxy crap like JB weld and its been like that for about a year without leaks, i have about 15 holes sealed up with it.
    i started out with 2 leaks i knew of but after fixing those it started leaking from other spots so i just kept pushing down on the tank top and rocking the car with a full tank to show up the other leaks.
    It wont work over paint, primer or smooth metal, you need to get clean scuffed up metal using 120 or 80 sandpaper but try not to get grit inside the tank. it seems to set hard as a rock and isnt easily removed, if you use the stuff in the tubes it will flow nicely into the holes and seal pretty good.
    four of the leaks I had were old solder repairs that hadnt quite sealed and the 2 part stuff seems to work better than the solder.

17. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Fair enough, the rapid, uncontrolled, combustion and expansion of diesel vapour is technically "not an explosion".

You still don't want it happening in your face, burning off your eyebrow(s) or in your fuel tank, blowing it apart at the seams.

Woof!!

18. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was also discussed on the GarageJournal about a week ago check it out. If your tank is leaking due to rusted through pin holes . You would be better off to replace the tank. If that is not a option . You will have to seal the inside of the tank after you fix the holes .

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  19. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

GO BOOM or be safe and buy a new tank.I bought mine from "TANKS" Plastic is fantastic,wont rust.I worked in a rad shop years ago.We use to solder them with a heated up copper paddle but it just isn't worth the hasstle with the new tanks out there.

20. NONHOG

NONHOG

Not messing with my old 49 tank ! Which brings me to this question;
    How to dispose of my "Bomb" ? Hate to just toss it in the scrape pile at work but can't think of anything else.

21. 61bone

61bone

Diesel wont even go whoof if you pour it in a pan and toss a match in it. Try it. Had a service truck with a 500 gal tank on it. The truck caught fire and the tank was about the only thing that didn't burn. Melted the aluminum filler cap off the tank and it had a little burner goin 3" in diameter and a foot high. When everything else burned out, put the diesel out with a piece of plywood over the hole. We used up the 400+ gallons that were in the tank and put the tank on the new truck

22. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Always washed out the tank with Tide. Rinsed the tank out good and drained it. Let it sit in the FL sun for a day. Put my nose in the fill the next day. THE NOSE KNOWS!!!. No problem yet. That's my story and I'm stickin to it! I'm not recommending nothing. It's just my way of doing it.

23. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

NONHOG. Rinse it out, and take an ax and chop a few holes in top and bottom. Most scrap dealers will accept it that way.