Register now to get rid of these ads!

***read this before importing cars to australia***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Linez, May 7, 2010.

1. BAD SHIT IS GOING ON DOWN UNDER!!!

Importation of converted vehicles under the pre 1989 scheme

Related Links
    Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle
    Considerations Before Importing
    Eligibility Criteria
    Persons Eligible to Certify Documents
    Vehicle Equipped with an Air Conditioner
    Selling an Imported Vehicle
    Notice of Rights of Review
    Legislation
    Contacts
    The pre-1989 scheme allows the importation of vehicles into Australia that were manufactured before 1 January 1989. The scheme is outlined under regulation 17 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989.

However, if a vehicle has been modified or converted after original manufacture - so that the vehicle no longer meets original specifications - the date of manufacture is taken to be the later date of conversion.

If the date of conversion is 1 January 1989 or later, the vehicle will not qualify under the pre-1989 scheme. One indication of a vehicle no longer meeting original specifications is where the vehicle acquires a different make, model or category.

To reflect scheme criteria, the Department requests that applicants provide the following supporting documentation with all applications to import vehicles under the pre-1989 scheme: a copy of the purchase document for the vehicle; a photo of the vehicle; and a certified copy of picture ID for the applicant.

Types of vehicle conversions

Vehicle conversions can take different forms. One popular type of conversion is the production of replica cars from components of different makes or models. An example is the conversion of a Volkswagen Beetle into a replica Porsche.

Another popular type of conversion is the assembly of vehicles from different parts to create new types of vehicles. Typical examples include the conversion of a passenger sedan into a drag racing car or a hot rod.

Similarly, scooter frames are sometimes assembled with different engines and electrics to produce new types of scooters. Vehicles can also be modified to change their carrying capacity. An example is the conversion of a Hummer into a stretch Hummer.

The later date of conversion is taken to be the date of manufacture even where the parts used in the assembly are old or used.

Vehicle conversions before 1 January 1989

It is possible for a modified vehicle to qualify under the pre-1989 scheme if the conversion occurred before 1 January 1989. A variety of evidence can potentially be used to establish the date of conversion. This includes vehicle registration documents, a statement from the converter or evidence that the vehicle was exhibited in its converted form (eg, exhibited as a hot rod) some time before 1989.

Vehicle restorations

On the other hand, a vehicle restoration does not affect the original date of manufacture. For example, an original vehicle may have new paintwork applied, the mechanical components reconditioned or replaced and the interior reupholstered. An example is the restoration of a Model T Ford. Similarly, an original vehicle may be customised (eg, by unique paintwork) if kept within original specifications.

THIS HAPPENED OVERNIGHT WITH NO NOTICE WHEN GUYS HAD CARS ON THE WATER! UPON ARRIVAL WERE HELD IN STORAGE COSTING THOUSANDS
    AND THEN REJECTED. TWO OPTIONS WERE GIVEN, THE CRUSHER OR SHIPPED BACK ALL AT THE OWNERS COST. NOW WHO'S GOING TO GET BEHIND A CLASS ACTION AGAINST THIS!! PM ME IF YOUR ON BOARD.- RYAN FORD

2. Who the hell wrote these regs??? They are retarded. They should apply the same modified production regs that are already in place for Australian vehicles or any other vehicle. Farking bureaucrats!!!

3. Fingers

Fingers

There is a long thread on Ozrodders about this.... not good, so get in touch with your local MP etc.

4. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Poor confused state road traffic authorities have obviously whinged to DOTARS that "we dont Know what to write in the box!" so the fucknuckles have just said "too hard, no more modified imports". assholes. unfortuneately we dont have a SEMA down here, the modified car scene have been scapegoated and marginalised out of any due process..good luck standing up ryan..you unfortunately dont have a snowballs chance in hell my friend. be happy in the fact you have three lifetimes of projects sitting at your Dads farm..and just get on with that.
    Honestly, with the substandard modification work Ive seen arrive here from america..its not unjustified, just unfair.

EDIT: just read through the 21 page thread on ozrodders..definitely go there and read through it.

Last edited: May 7, 2010

5. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

this is completely fucked! I had been thinking about bringing a wagon in for my girl - looks like that aint happening unless its stock. Hope it doesnt effect my pickup which is here but unregistered and has a small block in it.

6. I shipped a body in last week and was talking to the shipper, he said that these rules have always been there, but they are only now starting to use them. He also said that what i brought in would have been a problem a few days later, whatever that means.

7. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

It looks like you should get a national lobby going to protect your hobby.

8. i don't think you get my point ben, it's got nothing to do with how many cars me or my old man have, it's the fact that what's happening is unjust. You can't let people import rods and customs for decades then over night just shut it down. Something need to be done and i have been in contact with the representatives of parliament with the issue. Strength in numbers, it's an election year so it's a good time to stand up and be heard. - ryan ford

9. Chevy

Chevy

How does this affect cars, if at all, that were imported before this garbage was made law? For example I have a couple of cars that I brought over from the states a few years ago, if they are modified here, will I still be able to get them regoed(to engineers specs if required) ? Or does this law only apply to importing from now on?
    Chevy....

10. If it's here then no drama's. I know of one guy who's '32 was rejected so he's sending it back to the states pulling the motor lifting the body and shipping it as parts. No joke they say that'ss ok!

11. The Hemi Guy

The Hemi Guy

Drag race vehicles have also now been restricted as part of the enforced regulations.

My dream of importing a 1960s style gasser ( built or modified after 1989 ) now cannot be imported, even if it was to be used in a closed circuit.

I have a friend who had his import approval rejected for a hot rod he purchased a few months ago.

I have contacted ANDRA regarding the enforced regulations.

12. zzford

zzford

Best of luck to you guys, that's some very disturbing news.

13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep this sucks but there is always a way. Just involves two containers and some additional costs.... ;)

14. deadbeat

deadbeat

Y'all could move over yonder!Deadbeat

15. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why?? Is that chick Baaabara Eweing still single??? :)to

Hey Ryan is the ASRF doing anything? Seems like they might be a good vehicle (pun intended) to utilise...

16. How original....:p

It may be of help to google and contact 'LVVTA NZ' if you are in the mood for argueing the point.
    These are the guys who pretty much prevented the same draconian type laws around importing and scratch built cars from being implemented here in the shakey isles.
    They had to come up with some pretty convincing arguements to get us to where we are today......which is a lot better place (legislationwise) than you guys. Think fenderless exemptions for example.
    Our importation rules just got easier thanks to them.
    We can now bring in up to 500 late model LHD cars per year with no need to convert to RHD. Just a $150 permit.

Perth is a great city, I spent 7 years in WA, but the sheep ......mate......nothing attractive about a red bag of bones...and you eat them too, you say?:D:D

17. striper

striper

Who?

18. Typical of a Goverment department, it's ok to bring a car in as parts and build it here but don't allow the same car to be brought in as one piece.
    It still has to go through the same rego hoops to be driven on our roads.

EXACTLY

19. I wrote a letter to the A.S.R.F. about fender exemptions and changes to the federation that might get more young members on board. well as you can guess i didn't even get a reply! that's two hours i'll never get back!

20. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

My customs agent told me that any vehicle that has been altered from its original configeration will not be given an Import Approval .He said Repo bodys steel or glass will not be allowed entry.I am with you Ryan and thanks for trying to do something for our HOBBY.

21. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

All of a sudden California doesn't sound so bad...Good Luck with the battle guys, hope you win.

22. Blackie

Blackie

Wow. We should find a way to make sure cars can come back if rejected. I'd hate to see cars destroyed over this.

23. Bert

Bert

they have to step in and rape it, everytime.....a nanny state alright.....crock of shit.......laws laws laws and they wonder why there is dodgey stuff going on.....punish and control the masses because they are too sooky la la to police the country properly and might miss out on some dollar action........squash squash squash.....Im sick of it , its everywhere in our society.......Bert

24. thanks mate. I think some people forget the fact the government is ment to be working for us not against us! It needs a good slap in the face from it automotive scene. All these import rules are going to cost people a lot of time, money and jobs. We are running a piece
    on this in our next issue so is the old man.

25. well i will let you and everyone know when we have some more paperwork together on this subject.

26. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

27. The following was taken from the Ozrodders forum as stated by itchy fingers.

Ok guys heres some reading for you ,as i type straight of my dotars refusal letter that came today .It would be easier to scan it but i dont have a scanner .....Here goes ...You advised in your Application that the ford coupe was manufactured in 1934 and the Mercury coupe was manufactured in 1950 .While the original ford coupe may have been manufactured in 1934 and the original Mercury coupe manufactured in 1950 ,the vehicals have since undergone extensive modification that has resulted in their being unable to be concidered the original vehicals .Vehicals that have been extensivly modified can be concidered to be new vehicals that have been manufactured on the date of the last significant modification .Therfore the modification to the vehicals would have had to have been performed prior to 1 january 1989 to be eligibble for approval under regulation 17 ..From the information provided,we cannot be certain that the modifications were completed,and therefore that the vehicals were manufactured prior to 1 january 1989 ..Accordingly I am unable to approve your appication for you 2010 ford coupe and your 2010 ford Mercury.........
    And
    The extensive modification's they are talking about is the removal of the gaurds a chop and small block only on the 34 and a chop and custom paint on the Merc ..oh and a set of dummy spotlights ......i think it was the dummy spots that lost it for me...

You got to love a goverment department that can stop you importing a car or cars, that have been modified overseas, under a new rule that makes them somehow become late model vehicles, yet if you were to do the exact same mods here you would be able to get them registered as year of manufacture.

28. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Wow!.... sounds like you guys are royally screwed with that bullshit law.....unfortunately I think it's only a matter of time before we start seeing the same shit here.....

29. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

^^^^
    Ha ha I don't think so!

So it don't matter if the work is dodgy or not as long as it can be proven to be over 21 years old:eek:
    At least you can still import '80's styled cars we know you Aussies love lol.:D