Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help w/ '52 extended 331 Hemi, Cragar adapter and Ford Toploader

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T.W.Dustin, Mar 18, 2010.

1. 73RR

73RR

Apparently 'Offenhauser' never tried to assemble a package from a random pile of parts. The starter pinion on the 51-53 is designed for 146 tooth and 14.75 dia wheel, but the 146 was also used on 15.75 wheel which changes the tooth pitch. Also, the 172 tooth, used on both diameter wheels, came along in 1957.
    Early wheels, as previously mentioned, may or may not have all 8 bolts. For a Hemi, you better plan on using all 8.

2. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

OK I just spoke w/ Rodger (my machinist). Although he hasn't put the mic on it yet, he said there is a counterbore on the engine side of the flywheel, and that the flex plate also had this counterbore. Provided they are the same, I should be OK.

3. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Well another setback. My machinist called and said the brand new pressure plate I got from SoCal has bolt holes in it that vary as much as .015, and that he would only expect them to be out ~ .005 or .006. He also said with the offset 8 bolt pattern he would have to spend 4 hours on the job vs. the 1 hour he expected (he was going to set it up on the computer originally). He said no charge for the eval, and recommends I find a different flywheel that is already drilled for the 8Cyl and set up for PP that can handle the 10" clutch disk. Back to the drawing board. I guess I will start looking for Dodge pickup V8 flywheel.

4. 73RR

73RR

Tom, OK, I'm confused...
    What is your 'machinist' planning to do for 4 hours?
    What, exactly, was measured that has the 0.015" number mentioned? Hole diameter or bolt circle? or ???

Are you planning to have everything balanced?

5. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Gary - the machinist said that because of the varied hole pattern he would have way more time into set up than if he set up the job on his computer (if all 8 bolts were evenly spaced). He said it meant he had to do it the "old fashion way". Then he said that the new early Ford PP I got from SoCal was off by .015 when comparing distances between the mounting holes and that he couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't vibrate from not being perfectly centered. He felt it might not work properly and didn't want to give me something that I wouldn't be happy with. I'm not a machinist but I felt the best thing to do was get my parts back and regroup.

6. Ruiner

Ruiner

A) he's a lazy bastard, because laying out an offset 8 hole pattern is about as easy as it gets, all the holes are directly across from each other except for the offset one..."the old-fashioned way" doesn't take that long to lay out at all, I have to do it that way every day since we don't have any fancy computer controlled mills at my current job...

B).015 difference between holes isn't likely to be an issue since you're using 8 holes to locate it, chances are the holes will align it without that .015 even being noticed, especially after balancing it...

C) I wish I had a full shop to do stuff like this for guys like us, because I get what it's like working on a budget and how hard it is to find that one exact vintage part which makes you wind up taking similar parts and making them work instead...

7. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

AMEN Brother! :cool:

Well I took a ride down to Hidden Valley Auto Parts today outside of Maricopa, AZ. I went to to look for a flywheel. They had a couple really thick 8 bolt crank flywheels with 8 evenly spaced bolts for the PP. I think these were the kind they used on commercial trucks and passed. They had numerous 4 and 6 hole flywheels but I have already been there :D

I'm continuing my search for an 8 bolt 146 tooth 14 3/4" flywheel. If anyone has one give me a shout via PM.

Beautiful day here in AZ so I think I'll head out in the garage and find something to do :D

8. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Hit a swap meet this morning, but all I ended up w/ was a pair of pliers. However, later in the day I finally found the elusive "Holy Grail" flywheel via a wanted ad I put into Craigslist. Also got a PP. $70 for everything - I felt it was real fair.

Did some other putting around today on the '56 PU. Dropped the gas tank for cleaning. Pulled and rebuilt the master cylinder and wheel cylinders.

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

Congrats man! And that's definately a fair price for parts that will fit without having to jump through hoops...

10. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Yes agreed, just got it surfaced today, so it's ready to rock!

73RR (Gary) is sending me a set of the clipped head bolts and nuts that will bolt it up to the crank (Thanks Gary!!!). He has been a great advisor through this whole process, as have most of the guys on this thread. I couldn't have figured this all out without all of your help.

Tom

11. Wow, awesome thread. I can't believe that I hadn't noticed this till now. I'm putting a Lasalle tranny behind my '51 331 hemi so I will definitely be one of the few interested parties when Ruiner starts making those pilot bushings. Good luck with your build, its gonna be really cool when finished.

12. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Hey Gary (73RR) got the bolts, star washers and nuts today. Thanks again for going through all the trouble to send them. Just like the flywheel, these are not "easy to locate" parts these days. You are the hemi guru!!!!

13. Hemis are worth the effort for sure ! but now we know why everyone uses small block chevys

14. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Yes - the SBC is an easier way out. I am guilty of it myself on my '38 Dodge Coupe build, but now I have seen the light :D

15. I had the chance to buy a 52 331 hemi crate motor new nos in a crate for about 2 grand , It came with the same cragar adaptor as you have included but the extended bell housing and what to do with it all scared me off from buying it

16. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Understood. It takes a little homework and some searching but there are options for the extended bell engines with trans adapters though Hot Heads and Wilcap if you don't want to go the vintage Cragar or Offenhauser routes. Definately not for the squemish, but in the end having a vintage hemi will be worth the effort! :cool:

17. 73RR

73RR

Tom, glad that I was able to help.
    FWIW, I am looking at a new auto trans adapter that does not require chopping up a TF......so eventually, 'we' will have one more option.

Gary

18. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Looking forward to that!