Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most Expensive Ride You Got to Drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billet

Billet

A 64 Chevelle Malibu SS, its wasn't worth anything but I dropped everything I had into it.

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I work in a restoration shop in north jersey and get to drive this once and awhile . It's a 1of1 that one of my bosses owns ,'58 Dual Ghia Concept car,the other 58 that was built is sitting in the hull of the Andrea Doria on the ocean floor....

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      480.6 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      518.4 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      487.5 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      489.2 KB
      Views:
  3. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

XKE Jag when I worked in a body shop in Fargo.

Brian

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I would think it would stick to the seat!!! To drive a car that way I mean...

5. Back in '73 or '74 - the boss' 1968 Shelby 500KR convertible. No clue how much $$ the car was worth but the drive was priceless.

6. rogg49

rogg49
    from michigan

that is the USS Mahan DDG 72 i was a boatswains mate we hit 18- 20 ft swells by scotland once that was nuts the pitch and roll was crazy the whole bull nose would go right under it was fun though and if you were sick id crack open sardines and eat em in front of you, you guys were lucky were the only dry navy i spent the night on the HMS Montrose it was a good time i miss the service as well and you my friend have muchrespect form me for you doing what you have done

7. cooger

cooger

Been waiting about 40 years to tell this one.
    I worked for NASA for 11 years and met a guy with a cool 442. I was a street rodder (still) with a coupe, we get to talking and he invites me over for a cool one and to take a look at his garage toy.
    Garage door opens, my eyes bug out 'cause I'd never see anything like it. Low, about a 7" windshield, huge flares, TUBE frame, outside badass big exhaust, wheels like Halibrands but not, built in roll bar (aerodynamic) no interior, a few gages, competition all the way.
    A roadster. I know you're asking what the hell is this guy saying, what it is.
    O.K.--give it up cause you didn't guess it.
    Hint: one of five ever built (by GM)
    If you said Corvette, you should have said Corvette Grand Sport--killer of any freakin' Cobra-or anything--ever.
    We became good buds, I did some engine work on it and yep, I did drive it-3 laps at a speedway. A good story for some other time.
    It was body/frame no. 1 built for Penske and sold to John Mecom of Houston for racing. My bud was a test driver for Mecom and bought it.
    I have bunches of stories, but one I think you'll like. We got loaded one night, put it on a trailer and went to a dragstrip for the hell of it. They didn't know how to class it, called it X. When weighed, it was 2090, with 30 gallons of fuel and the driver (about 190). They lined it up, (remember this thing was built for Le Mans, road racing all the way, had about a 2 something gear). It turned around 12 seconds, speed at the end was 137--about halfway down the strip the thing just dropped down and disappeared.
    Worth: as they say, priceless. I've heard about 6 million plus if one was ever available.
    Take a look on the net at 'em.. just type in Corvette Grand Sport.
    Cooger
    did i win????

8. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

I got to drive a blown 32 3 window from SoCal Speedshop, Sacramento. What a privilege!
    Thanks Dan!!

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

I drove a Datsun 210 into the left side of a Porche 944, this was in 1988. I drove it in deep. Felt kinda dirty afterwards.

In a way I guess you could say I drove the 944.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  10. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

11. aldixie

aldixie

A brand new Porche 911 3.3 Turbo that a customer had. He threw me the keys and just said "leave me some rubber to get home with".

12. wjhpc

wjhpc
    from Tucson

I used to have a casual friend (now sadly lost to cancer) named Gil Nickel. He owned Far Niente, probably the most prestigious Napa winery. I met Gil vintage racing where he was a most accomplished driver. One year i went with friends on a bike trip to Napa. We dined at Gil's beautiful villa. He learned we were staying at a local hotel with our bikes, and he asked me if i wanted an old car to drive while in the valley for a few days. The next day i was sitting by the hotel pool and a gentlemen who worked for Gil found me and said he was dropping off a vehicle for me to use for a few days. I followed him to the parking lot and took the keys for a black/red 1966 Ferrari Superamerica - a $2.5 million dollar car!! Needless to say, i had a wonderful (and careful!!) two days with this fabulous part of his magnificent collection of cars. A class guy and i miss him still.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  13. dawford

dawford

My 46 year old son bought a 2010 Cadallac CTS-V That has 556 hp. I don't know how much it cost him but it is the fastest best handeling car I have ever driven.

Yesterday I drove from Temecula Ca. to LAX about 100 miles to pick up a new employee and it is great on the freeway.

No one closes the door on you when you are in one of these.

Got the go when you need it and dosn't get to bad milage when you don't.

He has only had it for a few months and has already put tires on it.

:) :) :) Dick :) :) :)

14. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

When I was about 10 I got to ride in a genuine a/c cobra with a 427 side oiler. car was a vintage racer at laguna seca. I have driven a couple of vipers, a few m5 beemers E55 amg mercedes Audi rs4 and rs6 but prolly the most expensive was a new Audi R8 about 180,000 at the time car had 3 miles on it. they get to about 130 real quick. and also the Audi S8 about 111,000. a couple of porsche turbos. all fun but lack the raw power and feel of an old hot rod kustom or muscle car.

15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

My former employer had a stable full of exotics and American Muscle. I got to drive and car-jockey some around, but the most expensive throttles I ever stepped on were:

A real 1965 Cobra SC, fully restored, with 3,000 miles on the OD.

A 1971 Lamborghini Miura SV, fully restored.

16. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

I've driven a lot of cars, most weren't worth a lot of money. My dad bought my mom a 2010 camaro (2SS/RS) and the day after my mom let my drive it to my junior prom. Most of the cars anyone in my family has that could be worth a lot of money don't run, but when i was little i use to be the one that got to drive while everyone else pushed.

here is a pic of the camaro before prom (thats me on the right)
    [​IMG]

17. 2.40 lamb

2.40 lamb
    from Phoenix Az

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  18. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I used to drive my 62 Impala 425 hp 409. Of course back then it wasnt worth near as much as it would be today.

19. 296ardun

296ardun

A B-1 bomber, maybe $100 million?

Cars? Worked in a gas station in the early '60s...got to drive a customer's '47 Triumph roadster, right-hand drive, blower, etc...have no idea what it might be worth today, but it was a blast to drive.....another customer had a Maserati coupe with a handmade body...my boss let me drive it, but insisted that only he would drive it onto the lube rack, and promptly drove it off the edge...again, have no idea what it might be worth today, but since we are bragging, must have been in the millions??!! (ok, hundreds of thousands)???

20. Me? Back in the early '70s I had a chance to work on a number of exotics that I'm told are extremely valuable today, but the most expensive car I ever had the opportunity to ride in was Briggs Cunningham's Type 41 Bugatti Royale. Brigg's museum curator, John Burgess, invited a friend of mine and me to go for a spin in the Berline up the Newport Freeway.

Coolest thing, besides sitting shotgun in such a rare beast, was flying past a CHP cruiser well above the then 55 mph speed limit, and the huge smile and wave the cop gave us as we went by! Those guys never gave me that reaction when I did the same thing in one of my own cars... :rolleyes:

21. Yer all fucked if Ryan chimes in.

22. sprdave4264

sprdave4264
    from Arkansas

All the best stories end this way.

23. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

63 Grand Sport Corvette ssn 003

It sold for over a million a few years ago...then was restored and is now worth way much more................

we drove it over 200mph on a back road in South Georgia..........

the old Penske/Wintersteen car.

M.

24. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

In the early sixties I worked doing valet parking at restaurants, parties, hotel and movie premiers. I got to drive so many good things but the most interesting ones were a Gull Wing Mercedes and a 1930's White tour bus used in Yellowstone Park. Supercharged and high performance cars were always tried out while the patron was eating.

25. M.Edell

M.Edell

CSX 4000 Series Shelby Cobra 427.

26. dw123

dw123

Back in the 80s I was a salesman in a couple of the highend car showrooms here in London where Lambos, Ferraris, RRs, Aston Martins, stretched and gullwing doored MBs were the norm...we even had one of the those Firebirds based Stutzs that reappearred in the 80s. The most expensive thing I ever got near was when the stand next to us at a London Motor Show had the Bugatti that got sold for £6,000,000 ($9,000,000) on it, and I was one of of the guys who had to push it as it couldn't be started....

27. 59mercsled

59mercsled

My wifes dad is the general manager of a ford dealer ship in oklahoma, Or was when we were in highschool bout 4 years ago. So we drove a brand new roush mustang to prom my senior year. He doesnt know it but i got that bitch side ways a few times that night.

28. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

wow,coulda/shoulda/woulda we have all made dumb decisions.
    I bought a 70 Chevelle SS with 454 LS6,4 spd.full guages,black interior,Gobi Beige with black stripes. I paid a $1000 for it when I was 16 in 1974. It had been special ordered by a local police officer. It was special ordered with all the "right" stuff. I drove it for aorund 3 years and then sold it for $500 :( Anyway,saw one on Barrett Jackson,exactly the same as the one that I had-same color,same equipment,ect and sold for $450,000.00 and the sad thing is that I really loved that car and just could not afford 3 cars. i needed a truck and had to have the extra money from the car sale to buy the 65 Chevy 3/4 4wd that had a snow plow on it so that I could plow snow and make some money that winter. I liked the truck but couldn't afford both. I have given up many,many cars because I could not afford to have a 2nd car and needed the money from the 1st to buy the next. Hind sight is always 20/20

29. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Let me be the 1st to volunteer for a ride. anytime,anywhere in Michigan-let me know and I am there. Great collection of cars.

30. 1989;I'm at a model car show in Taylor,MI with a friend of mine who leads a somewhat clandestine life-he's connected to some government agency,and I don't ask whom-and we run into a well-known "person" from one of the Big Three automakers. He's driving a Ferrari F-40,personal car,and my friend asks him to give me a spin in it. It's Sunday morning,around 9:00,so it's light in the traffic department. We hit a Buck-Fitty on Telegraph like THAT! and he then pulls into a lot. He gets out of the car-I think there's trouble-and motions me to take over the drivers seat. I about $hit and actually did not embarrass myself getting the harness hooked up-I'd done that before-and off we go. He says "So-and-so says you're a decent driver;give it some gas...". So,I did. As the Brits would say,it made my willy tingle. I've been in and have driven some fast machinery,both two- and four wheeled,and this moment topped them all.

Or,at least until I make my first hard pass in the Sport Fury with the intended driveline combination;now THAT will be an "E" ticket ride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.