Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wonder Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevy3755, Mar 28, 2010.

1. chevy3755

chevy3755

was wondering if anyone has used the Aluma Rod that they sell at swap meets and so on..............how well did it work.......and did you use it on anything..............just curious..........

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yeah, I used it to solidify my emergency brake cable ends. I had to make custom length cables & I crimped on those aluminum ends (like they sell for garage doors at Home Depot). I then Aluma Rod "welded" blobs on the end for added holding power. It seemed to work very well & is still holding. Did you get the aluminum can welded to the aluminum can demonstration? What the hell... it's not exactly a big investment. I'm looking forward to experimenting with other stuff.

3. trukin55

trukin55

I bought the stuff a few years ago. it looked impressive. I knew my project was gonna get there someday. I found a different need for it a couple of weeks ago. Couldnt get it to do nothing on some cast aluminum. SBC Serp. brackets. I got out that aluminum can and DAMN. Works great on that can. Anybody know how to make serpentine brackets out of aluminum cans? Yeah I didnt think so. My original plan is an aluminum frame for a solid bed cover on my truck. I am still hopeful that it will work on that, but not near as impressed as at the swap meet. Good luck and let us know if you come up with any tricks that work.
    The instructions state that you have to scratch the surface of the aluminum to get under this "invisible" film. I have been in the metals industry in distribution for over 25 years, never heard of this invisible film. But again, we sell, cut and ship, not weld. Maybe there is something to it. With the cast that I was trying, it was not smooth so maybe I couldnt scratch the surface. Seemed more like I couldnt get it hot enough. Was using a small canister like they did at the swapmeet.

4. indyjps

indyjps

the invisible film is the aluminum oxidation, you need to clean/ scuff thoroughly when tig welding aluminum to remove the oxidation layer, it will come back very quickly.
    Scuff your material wipe with rubbing alcohol or similar cleaner then try the swap meet stuff.
    Ive never seen or used it so I cant offer any advice on the particular product.

5. chevy3755

chevy3755

tthey sure make it look easy at the swap meet.........

6. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I bought the rod and tried some welding with a propane torch. Sure didn't turn out as nice and strong as seen on the commercials:D I am somewhat amazed it held for the guy with the e-brake repair.

7. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

I tried to fix a broken trans case with it recently with poor results, ended up having it tiged. Then tried it on some virgin .050 sheet with lap weld and plug weld and was able to pull it apart with pliers. Tried both map gas and lp cleaned it with stainless brush and acetone. My brother was able to fix the hot water heater tank in his RV with it. I am obviously not holding my mouth right.

8. scl009

scl009

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I read a post on another forum that said to scratch and then use some non-scented non-colored acetone. The Acetone is suppose to etch the aluminum.

HG - thats discouaring, I was planning ono using it on a cast bellhousing to fix a stupid mistake of mine.

Where can I get these rods on the internet? I didn't even know about them until I saw something similar at harbor freight, but thought I shouold look elswhere first. When I search google all that comoes up is boyd cottinghams aluminum roadster

9. Verminator

Verminator

Yeah, I had a beer can that was leaking..... I think they got everyone's $20 at one time or another. Just another swap meet sucker deal

10. Frank

Frank

I called him out on it once when I went to a swap meet because I wasn't getting the same results. He said you got to really get the piece hot, like 400 degrees hot. He said he welded an intake manifold and the way he had to do it was that he stuck it in his propane grill and let it get good and hot for a looong time before he tried to weld and then it will work fine. If I had known that I probably never would have bought it. Otherwise, only small thin things can be done with just a torch.