Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 chev brake parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maco-B, May 5, 2010.

1. Maco-B

Maco-B

My nephew and I are trying to get the 57 Belair back on the road. Of course all the brakes need replacing. I'm having no luck finding wheel cylinders, hoses and rear drums. When we went to the local O'Reilly's...the kid behind the counter was dumfounded:confused:. Ware can I find these part's?

2. Also check Ecklers' Classic Chevy International. Don't know how prices compare to Rockauto but they have EVERYTHING for tri 5s.

3. You also might inquire at yer local NAPA or Standard auto parts.

4. Heck, Advance Auto's computers go back that far. Look it up online. Most of the major chains you can see what their computer says before you even talk to the counter jockey.

5. I bought stuff from Mutton Hollow in the states and they treated me great!
    <cite>www.muttonhollowchevys.com/</cite>

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've got the front stuff sitting at the shop from doing it for a customer, then he decided he wanted discs.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I recently bought two rear wheel brake cylinders for a '64 Chevy from Advance...they looked good and were only $9.99 each. One package said "Made in Taiwan," the other package said "Made in China"...I tore the brakes apart only to find the mounting holes on both didn't line up with the stock holes...needless to say, they were returned...try NAPA, you may have better luck with "Made in America" or finding genuine GM parts.

R-

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My local napa or good part store has them. They aren't anything special that you should need to order.

9. Maco-B

Maco-B

You would Think...But not so much.

10. lawman

lawman

Put an S-10 Rear in. Parts are cheap. Has anybody priced the axle
    Bearings for a 57? Must be made of Gold !!!!! At the U-Pick around
    Louisville I hear the S-10 rearends are about $ 50.00 if you take them out.
    What I also hear is you can get disc's also. Tom ( Tired Old man)

11. Maco-B

Maco-B

Thank's T.O.M. My thing is that this an original 57'. Stock to the bones. Left in a shed for 30 years now. I want to bring her back. Stock.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

S10 rear, Lol, they're worth about zilch after you put v8 power to them...

13. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I just checked the O'Reilly's website and they list wheel cylinders for a '57 Chevy, so the kid at the counter wasn't looking very hard...part numbers WC13004 and WC13005 for the rears, WC250070 and WC250080 for the rear.

14. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Eckler's, CCP(classic chevy parts) worth checking out. Wouldn't be surprised if all you can find are chinese or taiwan parts though. Sometimes they'll even be kind enough to attempt to deceive you by putting them in name brand boxes. As long as they stand behind their product....(forgot to hit rolleyes)

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If you go swapping rears put in a later model ford explorer. Holds up to v8 well posi trac and available w disc brakes. Just needs brackets changed and a u joint flange.
    Stock parts are plentiful. And yes bearings are crazy expensive.

16. lawman

lawman

Have ran my 57 hard for 5 years now and have had no trouble. 355 sbc,two 4s.large cam and a 4 speed. They will hold up !!! Tom ( Tired Old man)

17. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

shopping old car parts, sometimes you have to take matters in your own hands at the parts store. my oriellys has books for the old stuff,computers usually only go back to 1980 or so, they usually let me look up the brake stuff on my own, then i give them the part #s of what I need.
    I would go back , and be a little more thorough with the help there , there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to help you better.
    ..and if there is a napa anywhere near you, go there first , will save you a lot of time.
    also, bring the wheel cylinder with you , match it up before you leave!

18. NAPA if the guy looks at you funny point at the books that he is supposed to be able to read. NAPA still peddles all that obsolete stuff. At least that's where I usually find what I'm after.

Or if you must go with a specialty supplier I would suggest vaphead. He always has a line on the good pieces at a decent price.

O'Reilly's or Autozone is like the Wally World of tha auto parts industry

19. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Napa part numbers for wheel cylinders; fronts are UP20932 and 20933, rears are UP13387 and 13388.

20. Maco-B

Maco-B

Let em' know where the bear sh*ts in the woods!:cool: