Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage American Steel Leaving The U.S.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AutoArt66, May 5, 2010.

1. 49coupe

49coupe

I don't have a problem with it. Given the expense guys go through to get US cars overseas, most of them actually do something with the cars. Just look at the killer hot rods and kustoms out of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Too much is taken for granted here. I've seen enough shitty rad rods and so called kustoms to last me a lifetime.

2. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Maby we should ship all our hot rod parts back to china an japan where they were made :)

3. olskool34

olskool34

Another one of them is my 36 Chevy bobber. It is now in Japan and the guy loves it! He sent me tons of pics of it and it is so cool seeing it with Mt. Fuji in the background. Like another guy said, nobody here was willing to pay my asking price but he did.

4. badpat

badpat

i wonder if some guy in china is concerned about all the tv's and computers being shipped over here?

5. rodrobb

rodrobb
    from Sweden

Dont worry guys, we take good care of your old tin
    and drive the shit out of it
    There are 10 mounths between the pics of my ebay score

Attached Files:

6. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Fine with me.

7. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I couldn't disagree more. When a part of American Hot Rod history goes to another country, it's GROWING THE HOBBY. Spreading the coolness to other parts of the world. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

Now, when a part of American Hot Rod History sits in a field in Alabama while someone plans to "restore it someday" and it is not available for purchase (in or out of the U.S.) and we watch it rust away to nothing, THEN IT IS GONE. Why don't you fight against that instead?

8. ken1939

ken1939

I IMPORTED a 31 Chevy Landau Phaeton and a 33 Chevy Standard 3 Window...

Where do I stand?

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

ART...it doesn't bother me at all, O i give those boy's a lot of greaf. but it's truely just in fun. the euro's are great craftmen, and realy good sportsmen. think of it this way, their saving our old hoopy's from the crusher. and brother i realy appreciate that. in my view the sun shines for everyone...POP.

10. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Since I don't have the money to buy them all, it's kinda not my call.

11. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I sold an old Harly overseas once and got alot of abuse because of it. I was told "made in America, should stay in America" I didnt care they paid me more than an american would of (its all about the cheddar)! Now I also used to sell ALOT of VW's to Japan, now if you want a nice VW you will have to import it in from Japan.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That's fair...didn't we import them from Germany?

13. The way I Feel is that a "Car Guy" is a "Car Guy" it doesn't matter where he lives.

I just sold a super solid '34 Ford truck to a guy in Australia. I had it here on the HAMB for several weeks - lots of lookers, but no takers. So overseas it went.

14. Crease

Crease

Speaking for myself, I trust Europeans just as much as Americans. I have many European friends, those that I call friends are ALL great folks and I am very proud to know them. Unfortunately, there are honest and dishonest folks in all parts of the world. If I use PayPal and ship to a dishonest American, PayPal covers me. If I use it to ship to a dishonest European, I have zero protection. These days I dont blindly trust anyone, thats just moronic.

15. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I know money is money but I hate it. Just remember once it's gone it's not coming back.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It takes more dedication to own a Yankee car overseas than it does here, the taxes, the insurance, the gas, the storage fees, lack of space, so I say let them go to the devoted.
    My 57 Ford Zodiac went home to where it was built and my 1961 Caddy is cruising somewhere in Zurich, it makes me happy.

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Boo Hoo

lame

Last time I heard, boats go both ways and so does cash. 'Never coming back.' Geeze, that is pretty naive at best.

18. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Calm down. It's exactly the same as back a few decades ago when the Ferraris and other exotics were being sold to Japan and other countries. Their money was good, ours was not....on an international level. The cars are still on the planet. When their economy goes belly up, the cars will come back. Plus, as been noted, the hot rod and custom scene is not exclusive to the U.S.
    At least they aren't taking cars at gun point.......yet.

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Hotrodders don't have borders why should the cars? Plenty of old tin for ALL OUR Friends:D.

20. zep058

zep058

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'd love to sell the cars I build to someone in the USA but they're not the ones stepping up to the plate. The last 2 cars I sold in Japan were a no haggle deal. I set the price and they paid it. Everyone here thinks the prices are to high and they try to beat you up a bunch or want to trade something. I get very few calls from the US.

22. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Some of the coolest rodders I've met on here are from New Zealand, Europe and other parts of the world. The internet has made the world much smaller, so they really aren't that far away. Till you pay shipping that is............... The Hamb is for enthusiasts and supporters of hot rodding worldwide. One more time............Worldwide!

23. This sounds like the same crowd that tell me "I would buy it but shipping it 1000 miles is too expensive" and after I do manage to agree on an offer "I would of bought it for that" - or - "man you sold that too cheap"...

I know several pieces of Montana tin were sold overseas in the past year.

If YOU can't stand to see it go, then YOU make an offer or shut the hell up and tell your story walking...

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  24. Ice man

Ice man

If you got a car for sale and some one has the money you wanted for it, what does it matter where its going, you put it up for sale. Don't cry in you BEER. Go build another one. Iceman

25. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

When it comes to Hot Rods and Kustoms I definetly buy AMERICAN!

26. Squablow

Squablow

The European and Australian builds I've seen have been top notch.

I just sent my '50 Lincoln to Finland and another '50 Lincoln to Sweden (that one in pieces)

I don't mind selling cars internationally and I don't want to give my old Mercedes back to Germany either.

The guy who shipped my '50 Lincoln said he could probably get me a Tatra from Finland, apparently they have lots. How awesome would that be?

27. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Eh better for old American tin to be shipped overseas intact to be enjoyed than smelted down in Chinese factories to make cheap crap.

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nope,we dont have them much around here.I guess they have them in the Chechs or another former easter bloc country more.But i dont see shipping some eastern or western european steel from europe to states as a sin,so just go ahead,if you find something interesting from here.

29. If they're buying and Americans aren't, off to the docks it goes. Usually less hassle and less bullshit, they pay, they don't complain about every little thing, and it's damned hard to back out at the last minute when you wire someone the money or send them cash.

30. hudson48

hudson48

Being here in Australia we didn't get the choice of many body styles that were available in the USA.Mostly 4 doors(from mid 30's).

If buying from USA make sure you have an independant inspection either by a professional or someone you know there.Lots of scammers out there.
    (I know from experience).

Now if anyone has a nice 56 Lincoln Capri or Premiere let me know