Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tire shaving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, May 2, 2010.

1. 6-71

6-71

The theory is that the tire tread is only as good as the lowest point,so by cutting down the high points you dont shorten the tread life at all,but lengthen it because the tire is not bouncing down the road. I worked in a shop that trued tires for many years.We had a machine like the one pictured in the first post,and also one to do them on the car. The machines are still there but there isnt anyone with the desire to use them.

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I have one of the machines that i would sell. Its in great shape in Indianapolis Indiana . I want $600 for it .....

3. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I have one of the machines that i would sell. Its in great shape in Indianapolis Indiana . I want $600 for it .....

4. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

5. pecker head

pecker head

Coker should do that before they ship them !

6. ...then, as stated earlier, mount them on an old wheel that's a bit out of round and you're right back where you started.

This doesn't automatically have to be done to every bias ply tire that Coker or anybody else makes. But if needed, the beauty of this, if done properly, is that it trues up the wheel and tire as an assembly.

7. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

anyone know if there is a guy around OKC or Tulsa aera?

8. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

to repeat i think it's important to drive on the tire for awhile &then have it trued /balanced

9. Have them put the quote in writing.....I'll leave it at that.....

10. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

11. Nate Jones is da man. Cured the wobbling M&H front runners on my B'ville Roadster. Smooth as glass @ 200mph. His hair kills, too.

12. anyone know of who could do this in the Vancouver BC area?

13. big creep

big creep

im going to have to give him a call! i fucken love the place!!!!!!!!

14. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

If you buy cheap crappy tires that are totally out of round and out of balance, they put it on a sort of lathe, and grind away the high spot.
    So in effect, you then get perfectly round brand new tires that are now already half worn out before you even put them back on the car.
    Some people think this is a really great idea.

15. 6-71

6-71

The company that makes the truers also makes a tire flexer,which we always used before truing any tires. The flexer has 4 rollers,2 on top and 2 on bottom ,the top rollers have an air cylinder that puts considerable pressure on the tire,and the bottom rollers are driven by an electric motor.The tire will become quite warm after 5-10 minutes on the flexer,and it eliminates any flat spots from sitting. To do them on the car we always had the owner run the car up the "interstate" for 10 miles or so,and then we would jack it up as soon as he pulled back in. the tires will flat-spot quickly if not raised off the ground while warm. As a side note,I have been in the business for 40 years,and I am not totally sold on tire truing myself.It can solve a problem, but for the cost,if they are not terribly out I would just put up with the shimmy.Thats just my personal thought,maybe I'm not as fussy as some people.:)

16. billthx138

billthx138

Need some body in Las Vegas that does tire shaving/balancing. Any body know of one, So-Cal high desert area maybe?

17. The truing process is something most customers get sick seeing. When I worked in the the old Bear shop there was a truing machine that looked just like the one pictured.
    At fifteen I was taught how to re line brake shoes and arc them to the drums on Star machines. Them were the days.

18. yblock292

yblock292

Seems like its only the little ones that are out-a-round, mine were 5:60 15's

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just got an email from Bruce in Oakland. (God don't know his hamb name but he drives a bitchin Cad. powered A roadster P.U. everywhere) that Rodger Kraus Tires in Castro Valley Ca. (nice little town wish I could afford to live there) still shaves tires. Let's keep these guys in business
    I did think about mounting and trying these new Cokers but decided a few bucks to insure a smooth ride was worth it. Or maybe I'm just getting lazy. Couldn't make it down yesterday I'll try again next Monday.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  20. I'd like to know this too.
    HemiDeuce.

21. 98Racer

98Racer

Try a tire shop which supports road racers or autocross. Several classes require DOT tires and the only way to get them to work is to "shave" them down. It is a heart breaker to watch a brand new tire get cut down almost to the cords. I have Bias ply Cokers on my Model A RPU which are mounted on "new" wheels (fronts from the Wheel Kid) and it rides/steers great. It was just mount and balance.
    Bruce

22. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I am having the same troubles(tires almost off the ground at 65 mph,rebalanced twice), so I called over to comercial tire here in town(they do a lot of recaps and truck tires) the said they can send them in to have it done for $10 dollars a piece(sounds fair) they take them off the wheel to do them, he said they have arbors for each rim size so they dont cut a tire to a rim with runout. does this sould like the way to go?

23. I've never had a set of my own tires shaved, so I may just be blowing smoke here.:rolleyes: But this sounds suspiciously cheap. Are they "shaving" the tread to true the tire for out of round or are they "grinding" them for white sidewalls. The comment about "runout" makes me suspect the latter.

Never considered shaving to true round on an arbor that way, though I suppose it might work as long as you're absolutely sure that your wheels are dead-nuts perfectly round as well. Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of trueing them to the wheels that they'll actually be running on. Do a little more investigating to make sure you both understand the terminology of what they're planning to do.

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I've never heard of it being done that way. I think I would rather have it done on the rim either while on the car or off as my guy does it. But the price is right. My guy charges $30 a wheel.

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

$30 a pair is what the place in PA I used to get mine done at charges.

rottenleonard:

You want the tire to be shaved while mounted on the wheel you're going to be driving on. Removing it from the intended wheel defeats the purpose entirely!:cool:

26. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

I just had mike do a set today at joe d here in napa. i will report back when i get them installed and out for a little run. bring a front drum if using 36 to 39 ford wheels.

27. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I haven't foud anyone else locally to do it on the wheel so i'm going to give it a wirl, I figure that if it's not safe on the highway i have no use for it and will probably throw on a set of radials:eek:, rather the truck look just kind of cool buzzing down the highway on radials vrs's looking fukn kool sitting in the garage with bias ply's:D.

28. i am going to call him and ask him if he can balance wide 5 ford wheals

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Let us know what he says. Something came up and I couldn't make it this week. Hope to get down next week. I have the same kind of wheels on my roadster as on my 48 Ford and he didn't have any trouble with them but I can see he might have trouble with wide 5s if you don't take a drum. You might want to check with the Castro Valley shop mentioned earlier too.

30. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

hey brendon, he did mine off of a front drum. remove bearings and seal and he can cone up to the races.