Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lots of people getting stuff stolen....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kona Cruisers, May 4, 2010.

1. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Bruiser is AWESOME... think He is part polar bear...

any more ideas?

how about garage door security? they look easy as heck to pop open

2. I have a leftover switch panel from a conversion van here. Thinking about wiring it up so you have to have the right combination of switches on and off or it doesn't start. It has about 7 on it. Would take hours to figure out which two if you didn't know.

And the panel was basically free, it came on an overhead console I bought to put in my own van.

3. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

I'll add to that. Talking home garage doors though. Mine have windows, which will eventually be replaced with the solid, no window type as my budget allows. I have good lighting, so I have black construction paper over the windows so no one can tell if I'm in there or not, day or night, esp. with that pretty blue light that comes with welding in the wee hours. Point is, it keeps the peeping eyes looking elsewhere. No reason to draw attention to myself while people pass slowly by. Did I mention the barbed wire under garage door glass? Make 'em think twice about breaking a window and reaching for the lock. And even if they did get it unlocked, I have a bolt running through the roller channel, so it has to be taken out just to get the door open, and the bolt is way out of reach. Add to that a steel walk in door with dead bolt. My bedroom window faces my garage, so even if they sneak around my motion sensor lighting, they'll make enough racket to wake me up so I can load up, if you will. Just to protect myself, of course. Like I said, all you can do is slow them down. They'll get it if they want it bad enough. But one pitfall after another, they may give up trying.

4. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

#To know 357 44mag ak47 and double oo 12 gauge shot !!

5. MCM

MCM

I just called these guys: http://www.ravelco.com and scheduled them to come out to my house and install the units in both of my cars.

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

My neighbors in the early 80's watched the people take the bolt together split rims with NEW 900X16 Military Denmans off my Hemified 46 carryall power wagon one night.
    I knew who did it and chased him 300 miles for them.
    Lotsa pain.
    Now whoever gets into the garage first will not get the goods.
    Hopefully the second person will have some medical training.

7. big creep

big creep

that thing is cool, but it wont stop a flatbed from taking it. lojack! ive had a truck returned after it was stolen and taken to mexico. got it back!

8. big creep

big creep

im going to findout where you live!;)

9. If you have a conventional garage door, heres a few things you can do.
    Typically there are extra holes on the hinge arm that the springs attach to.
    You can attach a link of chain to that to a secure point on the door frame itelf. That will keep it from lowering (it lowers as the door goes up).

Theres a big steel bracket where the hinge actually mounts to the wall.
    Find a piece of hardened steel rod. I prefer 1/2 inch or bigger. Drill a hole in each plate so when the rod is inserted through, the hinge arm hits it and stops moving.
    You are not going to cut that with a sawzall or anything without making some noise.
    Last, you can drill holes in the concrete at the bottom of the door to insert more hardened steel rods.
    A lock on each side that's hard to cut plus 1/4 inch steel plate backing about 2-3 ft square on each side will keep them from just prying the latches off the front.
    If you have windows in your garage, board them up or permanently replace them.

10. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

I apologize special Ed, I deleted my post because just talking about this subject gets me heated and I didn't want you to think any of this negativity was directed towards you. I live in a decent area(I guess some would argue that),with average or below average crime. Maybe my dad, who grew up in a real rough part of another city-not by choice-, and has had enough stuff of his stolen from him-even enough stuff from his race cars, right out of his driveway, to the point of making him sell everything so as to not deal with that insanity, has chiseled these values(?) into me. Some of us don't have the luxury of living in the most secure location, if you will.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  11. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

My son just got home from Afghanistan Fri. night, Sat. afternoon his truch was broken into and they got his new laptop with his photos on it. Some welcome home, Huh?

12. Lojack is probably good in an area where lojack transmits.

I've heard there are several areas in the US where it doesn't work.

Any one on here know for sure?

13. big creep

big creep

thats a big no no here, never ever leave a laptop where they can see it! that sucks! and tell your kid welcome home!

14. big creep

big creep

call lojack, they will tell you.

15. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

Somebody stole my garbage can! So I went driving around the block looking for it. But, everyone has the same kind around here so I just went back home.

16. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I got rid of the padlok on my garage and changed to a combination lock then hid a house key in the garage.
    Remember to always turn the combo right after unlocking so it's not sitting there advertizing your secret number... don't use your address either...use your mom's address so the folks can get in for you when your gone and need it checked out

17. Chance it

Chance it

Another way folks know what's in your garage are lawn maintenance people and the friends they talk to. They are there during the day, week after week. It's pretty easy to figure out if anybody is home, when they are home. Everybody probably has left their garage door open while doing yard work etc. Sad to know thieving can happen real fast. Neighbor of mine ALWAYS has one of his daily drivers parked behind his car, but that doesn't protect his tools. Sorry to any lawn maintenance guys out there, not lumping you all into that type folks.

18. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Shame about the theft; glad your boy is home safe.

19. joel torres

joel torres

i have been in the security business a long time some places i have done are the united nations, Turkish consulate and many business like sony corparations offices ect...
    if you wanna protect a business remotely
    get a 4 or 8 camera dvr that has remote viewing, email, and smart phone capable
    install it in a lock box that provides power and ventilation nice night vision cameras and set to record on motion you can even set to notify you via email( which is stupid unless your in front of p.c. 24-7 or by text to phone
    11 p.m. you get a text you can log in from home and see whats going on and even notify police while watching or just show up with your favorite peace maker and spread the gospel of love across the knee caps
    cameras are very deterring if the dvr is hidden no one can get to it
    i hid a dvr in the work bench of a guys garage you wouldn't ever know it was there two pin hole cameras outside and two regular cams in the back boy was his neighbor surprised when the police came knocking , or the four gaurds at sonys main headquarters in manhattan who stole everything they could grab hahahah i installed it in front of them they thought i was fixing the plumbing
    costco right now has a $699 8 cam dvr setup with a $300 rebate after purchase so the deals are out there

20. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

loaded 9, loaded 12Ga, 2 expert marksmanship metals from the service, and a make my day law. enough said.

21. Hal_396

Hal_396

My wife wants to hold a graduation party in my 30 x 60 garage for the kid next month. You guys have me worried now. Gotta stash anything of value outta site or else I might have my own story to tell.

22. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Wow! What world are you living in? I live in a great small town where everyone knows everyone & everything. And I still lock my doors at night. I don't care where you live criminals are everywhere. I don't live life in fear but it's always at the back on my mind that someone somewhere has the potential to ruin your day. And it never hurts to err on the side of cation & just don't take things for granted that it will never happen to you. Because if you do then you have no one to blame for not being prepared. Look up Cheshire Connecticut home invasion on the internet and see what happens in VERY nice quiet communities where "Everyone thinks their safe". Open your eyes Man!
    Okay I'm done with my rant...carry on!:D

23. chopt49

chopt49

I am working on a patented auto garage door lock. Until it's ready to go public just make sure you have a slide bar installed and use it every time!

You would be surprised how fast and easy it is to get in a garage door. Your garage door opener is not going to stop them, pry bar and a quick pull of the cord and up she goes.. and so does your stuff. :eek: