Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vanishing Americana--the drive in movie theater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, May 5, 2010.

1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just watched the new dinasaur movie with our son at the 61 Drive in in Maquoketa a couple of weeks ago. The place always has a line. I thinks thes is one in Muscatine that they just opened a couple of years ago. Yes a new one.

3. bardahl1

bardahl1

I just talked to a gal that runs all of the Syufy Drive Ins in the southwest. They have them in the bay area, Sacramento, Reno, Phoenix, and others.

Syufy owned Century Theaters, a major theater chain throughout Ca/Nev/Az, which was bought out by Regal - the largest in the US. Syufy kept the Drive-Ins and land, and seems to be serious about keeping them going.

We are going to do a Bike Swap Meet at the Syufy Drive In in Sacramento a few times a year. Syufy does thier own general merchandise swaps at most of thier locations during the day.

She told me that weather notwithstanding, they were doing great with the drive ins and occassionally sell out in Sacramento. She also said they were considering actually opening up new Drive In locations.

4. I checked into showing "American Graffiti" at the Beacon. It is going to be awful damned expensive but I am going to do it one of these days! Maybe show TLB as the second feature?

Maybe it can happen at SK TWENTY ELEVEN? :)

[​IMG]

5. There used to be at least 5 drive-ins in the Ft. Wayne area years ago, but they've all been closed for years. The Hillcrest, Lincolndale, East 30, Northcrest, Ft. Wayne Drive In....

Here's a shot of the sign of the last night of operatation of the Clermont Drive In located right across from the main entrance to Indianapolis Raceway Park. Camped out there the first year I attended the U.S. Nationals.

[​IMG]

6. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Great place here is a link boulevard website

The Los Punk Rods put on a fun show called the Greaserama there every year over Labor Day weekend, party/show by day and watch movies once the sun goes down.

They always have fun car movies showing but the people I'm with usually want to leave long before the shows start... not this year Povertyflats, we're staying!

The cars are not all H.A.M.B. friendly but that doesn't bother me at all, it's a great show with a fun atmosphere.

7. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

we have one here just west of Houston. It's open all year. We go all the time.

8. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Yes, grasshopper Travis---I too love that venue. So very retro and a great place for that car show. Always a good time.

9. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey

I consider us blessed. We have three within 30 miles of my house. We usually just go to the one closest to the house. It's the nicer of the three and broadcast in a better sound quality. Usually try to go a few times a year when we can.

10. metalman

metalman

Interesting. Our last Drive In in Albuquerque was a Syufy, was also the newest, built in the 70's, 6 screens. They tore it done and built a 24 screen Century walk in on the sight.

At one point we had 15 active Drive Ins here, preety amazing as it's not that big of a town, least not when they were going. Only one left standing today but it's been closed for years, fallen into major disrepair.

Funny story. My teen age step daugher and her boyfriend was helping me clean up the garage a few years back. They came across a box of..ummm...aquired drive in speakers. Held one up and asked "what is this, a heater?" Kids nowdays have missed out.

11. Other than the pink paint, that's almost exactly like the Starlite Drive-In, here in Neligh.
    It's one of the last working Drive-In in Nebraska and sets right in the main Highway.
    The buildings are the same on the outside. I wonder if that one has a sloping floor inside like ours.

12. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

San Jose has one with i think 6 screens. My family loves it.

-scott noteboom

13. We still have ours out here in Northern Cal - 20 Bucks gets you in. Took the wife in the Convertible...Top Down? : )

14. There is one about 40 miles from me in Blueridge Ga.that is still open,,its called Swann Drive in an the owner drives a 55 chevy to the drive in every weekend...

15. sobpunx

sobpunx

thier is the 99w in newberg or. just outside of portland, that is running strong the owner also owns the cameo which is single screen theater built in the 40s and is all original art deco inside and im getting married thier next may!

16. Greg'Hel

Greg'Hel
    from Iowa

Sad.....I miss them so much!

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

what about that big sucker just south of Dallas, near Ennis

18. bikersteve

bikersteve

Still have one here, about ten minutes away

[​IMG]

19. theres a drive in right up the street from me open 365 days ayear there are a few others around here
    but most were bought up by a overly (holierthen thou) elderly woman who wanted all the "dens of inequity" closed down she wouldnt sell any of the places to anyone who wanted to open up another drive in so most of them are now stripmalls and other ilk

the old" colonial" drive in's screen still stands but its now a landscapers lot it is right down the street from TriState Dragway

20. truckdude1

truckdude1

We are planning a Chrome Czar board/HAMB drive in get together at Chicagoland's only other drive in, the Cascade, for a Friday or Saturday night in late June. Stay tuned.

21. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

A note for Martinb1962 and others who may not know it, a fellow HAMB member (gal) is making a movie called the "Deuce of Spades". We have been following progress on this movie for several years. It became such a popular topic on here it has its own special thread on the HAMB called the "Deuce of Spades Social Group". It is up to date with posts just yesterday. If you are looking for the perfect feature of a drive in you may want to get in touch with Faith (she is the gal making the film). She also has a website with trailers and all kinds of cool shi I mean stuff. Just do a search for "Deuce of Spades" it will give you a week or two intertainment just reading about the making of it. By the way, it is due to be released really, really soon, we hope!

22. 5 pages and nobody has mentioned Hot Rod Cinematic.......:(

I was at both---"Rebel Without a Cause", heat, rain,stuffin' cars, Bubba's spam sammiches, Ace Brown & the Ohio Valley boys......man, that brings back some memories......:) (Thanks for tryin, Ryan---it was fun;))

Nothin quite like a drive-in theater.......:cool:

23. I think the one in Gatesville is the nearest,'' the last drive-in picture show''

24. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I have a big screen that I put up and have a drive in a couple times a year. Speeking of that I think it is time to have a drive in soon.....

25. We had a pretty cool drive in town. I remember going there in the 60s as a kid. Huge ass picture and the old man would always throw a fit when the speaker wouldn't work right. A wind storm blew the screen away and the owners never did repair it and if I remember right it would have been about 1968. This was the beginning of the end of the entertainment cycle for us. Was a shame because they did have t[​IMG]
    [​IMG]he good pics !! >>>>.

26. Maryland still has one. An old shot ..........

[​IMG]

and this year............

[​IMG]

27. The wife and I were there!

[​IMG]

28. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

The Rodeo Drive-In in Bremerton, WA is still going strong. Always packed. 3 screens all with double features. I miss that place.

29. wvenfield

wvenfield

30. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Wow, that's amazing such a small town would have a drive-in. Must have been the only one around for miles. I remember sneaking into the drive-in in a friends trunk, those were the days! :cool: