Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '49 - '51 Merc Convertible Conversion Kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG]

Anybody ever install one of these?

Hell, did anybody know '49 ' 51 Merc Convertible Conversion Kits even EXISTED?!?? I found 'em looking these guys up because they have a Mopar torsion bar suspension kit for postwar Ford pickups and saw it on their site - here's a link: http://www.gibbonfiberglass.com/components/mercury_conversion_kit.asp

~Jason

2. Knew they existed, but no experience with them.

3. News to me! I'd like to see the parts...

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

click on the link and you can see the parts

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say 8 out of 10 "cut the roof off my car /carson top" dealscome out shitty. maybe I'm weird, but I like roll up windows in every hole, though slide in windows are OK too in the rear side. the next place they screw it up is the vent window/door post area. it rarely gets done right.

weak website. I wonder what the parts look like? that ain't no way to sell something.

6. I love the job that Wiseguy did on his last build! There's no windows,but I don't care...it's a nice car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Looks pretty much identical to the treatment I gave mine.

Attached Files:

8. Abomination

Abomination

Here's some of 'em:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~Jason

9. twochops

twochops

This is vent window on one I did without conv parts.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

10. Abomination

Abomination

Hey - that doesn't look too bad!

Anybody got pics of an ugly job to contrast this one?

~Jason

11. Abomination

Abomination

12. Actually....if the top folds down=it's a convertable.
    If the top comes off=it's NOT a convertable!
    In my opinion!!!!

13. username

username

I assume these pieces are fiberglass, since it has ....fiberglass.com in their web address.

Does that matter? Would you cut your metal car up to patch in fiberglass?

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Don't know if it was the Gibbon conversion, but we just saw one at the Conquerors show in Lansing, in the parking lot outside. I've seen a couple of conversions using GM bows, which this one had, which are way too flat, leaving the top look "stepped on". The fit of the quarter windows to the bows is not good, and looks wrong. No mistaking it for a real convert.

15. not a chance!!!!!

16. Mine is 16g steel.

17. I like the look of yours. Must have taken some work,though! 16ga? wow!

18. I don't care if it has roll up windows...that is one nice looking merc. You don't see silver customs very often but this is beautiful!

19. Heard about them but have never seen one or thought about using one. Just checked out there site not much there but I must hand it to them for stating you need to reinforce the frame. Fixed one or two conversions that had door alinment issues due to frame & body flex.

Rick Erickson

20. mikes51

mikes51

Unless I am reading their ad wrong, It's not a convertible kit. It says on their ad it's a lift off fiberglass top. So really they should say "Carson" top conversion. But probably to the average customer base they are targeting, that base doesn't even know what a carson top is.

I'm still looking for a chopped convertible picture that doesn't have that last bow sticking up, guess that must be why the old customizers (and new) like the Carson. After all, for many it's all about that shape.

21. I concur!!!!!! HARUMPH! HARUMPH!!!!

22. We have done a few folding chopped rag tops. When using the stock merc convert top it is imposable to reprofile (lower much) the Last bow to get a profile close to a carson top and still have it fold. On my dads 51 we used a top from a Chry Lebron to get a much getter top profile.

Rick Erickson

Attached Files:

23. mikes51

mikes51

That looks real good. I won't ask you to reveal your trade secrets. I'm guessing there were alot of modifications done to the convertable mechanism. It fits perfect.

24. How much does it weigh?

25. It's about 200lbs.
    It's a bitch to lift it off!

26. Wonder what a 'glas one would weigh:confused: