Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to the HAMB from Fargo, ND

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by phlegm, May 4, 2010.

1. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

Ok, not technically new, but it appears that I skipped this step when I joined. My name is -ron and I live in the just South of Fargo ND. I own lots of stuff and have access to lots of other stuff.
    Projects (potential)
    I've got a few projects that I never know when I will get to work on them. This summer I'm hoping to work on some fun stuff. One of my main priorities is that I do not have a proper 'parts hauler'. Sure I've got my daily driver 3/4t 4x4 (but that's no fun)
    Right now I am eyeballing 2 trucks at Dad's house to haul my junk, they are
    1950 Chevrolet 2.5t 2wd flatbed (nice patina and lettering that was for a bug spraying company,decent stock chrome) thinking on either doing a direct replacement of the 215 (but upgrading 12v/2bbl carb/exhaust), or upgrading to a newer motor.. We've got a nice running 292 but I don't know what sort of bellhousing/flywheel issues I'd have, or if I'm better off replacing both motor/trans and being done with it. The other concern is wheels/tires/brakes it has 4 wheel drums (I'd really prefer front discs for a DD) and it has a large 6 bolt wheel pattern with 19" tires. I am wondering if I should seek out newer 1ton parts (8 lug) and "upgrade" it to using more common parts. Might just get this working and put it up for sale while I work on the other...

Potential hauler (which I think is my long term solution)
    1970 Ford C-series, it needs a FE (I have access to a 390) currently it is a cab and chassis only but the frame is long enough for a flatbed, rollback or grain box. I'm thinking of shortening it up to the wheelbase of a single axle semi and then mounting Dad's spare truck 5th wheel on it, and a pickup style 5th wheel plate behind that. And on the rear a pintle hook and class 3 reciever. Then toss on some tow rings and see if I can find a hydraulic winch and I think I'd have my perfect hauler, ready to pull anything (up to 26,000lbs anyhow). Then I'd still need a trailer but I could use any trailer.

I've got cars and trucks too, some of which I'll start other threads for..
    thanks for having me.
    -ron

2. hotrodnewby

hotrodnewby

Welcome from NW Iowa!

3. Maco-B

Maco-B

Hey Ron, Welcome. Quite the list of things to do! I wish all the best on the trucks. Every Man needs a Hauler.

4. NOLUCK13

NOLUCK13

Welcome from Austin!

5. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

Thanks for the welcome everybody,

That's only 2 of the projects...I have many more. I don't work on things very quickly mostly because:
    1. I have a wife and 2 kids, so free time is at a premium
    2. No money.. see list item #1 I gather parts slowly/cheaply

There is an upside to being mostly broke, it forces creativity and it really makes you think about the next upgrade.. how bad do I really need (insert name of thing)? Is it worth it in terms of time/$$.

I look forward to learning and contributing to this forum.
    -ron

6. rockguy92

rockguy92

Welcome from O-HI-O
    The Rock

7. putz

putz
    from wisc.

hi from wisconsin via aberdeen, so. dak. , are you sure about those projects , maybe a good snow plow might be better !

8. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

I've got that covered. IHC856 diesel with cab, loader, and 8ft 3pt snowblower. I've got 3 horses that need feeding especially in the winter..

-ron

9. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

Hello from South Fargo you know were any 59 apache shortbox fleetsides are for sale close by

10. Originally from Bismarck, welcome aboard!!

11. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

yes I do, but I make no claims as to condition, I haven't seen it in years. I can try and get a few pictures and verify that is still there.

-ron

12. Welcome from Arkansas...

13. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

regarding the '59 I will contact my step brother and see if he can swing through and get pictures if the pickup still exists. It is at my Dad's Cousin's house (I'm not sure if Dad owns it or his cousin). From what I remember it is a black short/fleet side. The pickup is south of Jamestown on a rural farm and I can't get over there for a while. But when I do go I will be sure to get some decent pics and post them back to this thread.

-ron

14. Welcome from a former Mandan'ite and NDSU graduate...

15. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

me and my wife graduated from NDSU; I attended from 1995-1998 and again from 2003-2006. I moved to ND from near Hillsboro OR in 1988 to a small town south of Jamestown, my wife is from Jamestown originally.

-ron

16. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

Awsome if you can get some pics of the pickup that would be cool or you can email them to me Thanks

17. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

I talked to my Dad last night. He thinks the black '59 Fleetside was sold to a guy who lives just down the road from me, I'll try to check with him Saturday, he's out by Kindred.

Dad says he has a frontend (no cab), he also told me that the '59 long/stepside that he sold went to a wrecking yard north of Jamestown. Dad and that guy had a 'falling out' a while back so they don't talk anymore but if you are interested I can have my brother check with the Jamestown guy.

I went to Jamestown last weekend but on other more time wasting family business..sorry still no pics.. but I haven't forgotten.

-ron

18. Welcome from Bismarck!

19. sinks88

sinks88

welcome from MN

20. welcome to the H.A.M.B. from Arkansas City, KS.
    firstnomad

21. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

Thanks everybody, I'm still trying to get a good 'grip' on what sort of projects are allowed or 'frowned upon' and hopefully I'll get productive here someday...

-ron

22. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

cool Kindred Thats right by were I store my projects

23. warning

warning

welcome from newtown nd.

24. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

if you take the i29 exit onto 46 you are about 1.5miles from my house... I don't live *in* fargo but I work there daily.

25. AntiBling

AntiBling

Welcome to the board, originally from Pingree, live in Fargo now.

26. phlegm

phlegm
    from Fargo, ND

Hey anti-bling.. where was that '66 ford crew cab?
    http://antibling.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d21mxnh ? Any chance it was for sale? I have only recently started looking for an old ford crew cab.. preferably '67-72 but who could ever say no to an old '66? Nevermind, Newcastle WY (just read the comment) is quite a drive from here and exactly in the middle of nowhere between Colorado and South Dakota. For 4 years while my wife was in school in Ft Collins CO we used to pass through there.. one illustrious winter day we pulled into there after driving 25miles on icy slush.. put the truck in 2wd got gas on dry pavement, and when we left town the (GM) solenoid wouldn't engage the frontend.. drove around the Black Hills on that trip in 2wd..

For the longest time there used to be a '63/64 black Lincoln Continental on the southside of town with the 55 gallon drums under each front wheel..

Nice pictures, FWIW, Dad's got a '57 Fairlane 4dr and a '59 Galaxy 2dr post. One of my favorites was the old cornbinder (IH truck) you don't see those very often, but my Dad's neighbor has a couple..

-ron