Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Here are some photos from Martinsville:

Fireball Roberts

[​IMG]

Perk Brown

[​IMG]

Ray Hendrick

[​IMG]

Bugsy Stevens leading them to the start

[​IMG]

2. BillyTKidd

BillyTKidd

The driver buttons! I remember those
    I almost didnt recognize it. I thought it was one of the plates at first.
    I had three or four on my jean jacket: Chamberlain, Corellis, Silva that I remember. I was just a kid :D

3. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

For you New Yorkers .. especially Brooklynites & Long Islanders!!!

Found these pictures in the .. Auto racing 1894-1944 .. thread (which I JUST came across) here on H.A.M.B..

The Sheepshead Bay (Brooklyn, NY) 1 mile board track. ....... One picture is dated 1917.

Attached Files:

4. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Leigh Earnshaw, Jr. went on to become a superb midget, sprint car & champ car (Silver Crown) driver.

5. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Emil was probably at those events!

6. Lookin' good. Have more pics?

7. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    nice one Rich!

8. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Some More All Star Racing League Photos:

Merv Treichler in a corvair

[​IMG]

Lazzaro and Lape

[​IMG]

Maynard Forrette

[​IMG]

Wayne Reutimann and Maynard Forette

[​IMG]

Don Wayman and Bob Malzahn

[​IMG]

9. Zoera

Zoera

Great Plainville color pics...thanks for posting.

10. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

handed the lead over to Lou Lazzaro in the 93 ( a car I believe that was owned by Jerry Rose). Jim Landry form New Hampshire in 1973 and Lou Lazzaro in 1974 were the only other two drivers to win this year end endurance race...Richie Evans won the next 5 or 6 in a row

Yes , Jerry Rose ran the #93 out of a two bay station in downtown "Saratoga Springs" N.Y. Not far from Albany/Saratoga speedway'. I believe he had Ed Penizek, Denny Giroux , and Brian Ross as drivers.<!-- / message -->

11. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

I knew Maynard Forette From late 60s Up until he passed a few years ago.He was one crazy frenchman.On the track or in the pits you never knew what he might do.Always a good time with him around.Those where the days.

12. racemad55

racemad55

What brand is that quickchange in the picture, I know where there is one like it.

13. Hogans Goat

Hogans Goat

Looks like a 3/4 ton Franklin conversion of the stock Timpkin rear. In the sixty's, UPS took all the Timpkin rears out of the "Brown Trucks" and replaced them with Eatons. I was buying them 25 at a time for 20. bucks each [with axles]. When I ran out of customers, I gave the deal to Danny McLaughlin and he went in the "rear end business". By that time, Franklin came out with the Champ Rear. Danny used the short side bell and tube, long side tube only, axles and ring/pinion. He made enough money to buy a bar in the Florida keys and a big sailboat. Lived like a king until his death about 10 years ago.

14. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jim Hendrickson
    [​IMG]
    Jim Hendrickson

15. allstarracing

allstarracing

I think this is a Jones conversion. It was before the Franklyns. If you can buy it you will have a very rare piece. The truck bell was cut and the lower shaft was replaced and the old lower shaft was cut and used as the upper input shaft. There used to be quite a few in the midwest. Allstarracing

16. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

The rear was a Highland Brand Q/C made in Springfield ,Ma.@ Highland Machine. it was a 10 spine rear using a built basket an lower shaft to house the Q/C gears. HEAVY as they were the Stock 3/4 ton rear. they had to use the 3/4 over the stock 1/2 ton or V8 style cause the Horsepower an Torque of the Chevy V8 was greater than the Flat heads.

Funny thing I built a Copy of my Dads car to Run with N.E.A.R. an used the Stock 1/2 ton an needed the carrier opened up to take the 3/4 floater axles. I went to Highland Machine ( next town over ) ,I walked in an placed it down on counter an the man said "I havent seen one of those in 40 years " I said "GOOD you know what I need done." I brought the album of the work being done an he took Great care of me. I thank them because it brought my Dad an I closer ( I was the reason he STOPPED racing ) Building that car taught me to RESPECT what was done back then , an the work I do now on a NWMT car.

17. Racewriter

Racewriter

About 15 years ago, Jones Engineering advertised its whole rear end business in the Parts Peddler. Had enough inventory for 50 rear ends plus all the molds, tooling, dealer list, and other parts. I called about it, could have bought it for a song, but I didn't even have a song. Don't know what eventually happened to it.

18. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

In the majority of the pics here the headers on the cars are beautyfull white.
    What was used in the day to achieve and maintain this, any high heat paint I have used does not last in White?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Thanks old buddy, I'm sorry you couldn't nake it out those couple of days. Though the Vanderbilt Cup races were cool.

20. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

love this center shot, you can see him cranking it to the right, and the drag link bent almost to the ground!

21. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

We used to touch up the headers every week. I remember a few cars had light blue headers, and a couple had silver. Can't recall what paint we used.

22. Levi Jones was still in business down here in Lawrenceville, GA until just a short time ago. I'd bee to his place a couple of times.

Last time I talked to him, about two months ago, he had moved back up to the Indianapolis, IN.. I still have his GA phone#, but he was making a change. Don't have his new one.

AND, he still had his foundry and machine shop when I saw him last.

23. I used a real heavy based silver boiler furnace paint back then. Must've had a ton of lead in it. You could hold a torch to it and it would then start to bubble :) .

Wish I could find the same stuff today.

24. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

Pins - have the Buzzie Reutiman (spelling) and Bobby Botcher pins at my dad's house somewhere. At Orange County they used to have fan clubs for the drivers. At intermission you would go get some great food there and maybe join a club. I got picture and the pin for joining.

25. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

something different. My dad kept these in his top drawer a long time.

[​IMG]

26. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

Cal Wheaton. When I was in High School in the 80's a met a girl on a class trip skiiing in VT. She was very pretty, very nice. She said she was from CT and somehow said something about her father raced in CT, and I would not know him. I said who, and she said Cal Wheaton. I told her I had his picture on the wall, she couldn't believe it.

[​IMG]

27. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.