Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lots of people getting stuff stolen....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kona Cruisers, May 4, 2010.

1. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

man I hate to say have to say this but anyone can get stuff stolen in the unfortunate times we live in.

check your locks when you leave. look for easy ways to get to your stuff and figure out a better way to get you stuff on lock down. H land shark....

Talk to your neighbors... I have told mine (I am luck I have a retired neat guy next door build R/C air planes for people. and the other lives and works from home.) That NO ONE will EVER be allowed at my house except for ME, my WIFE and My ROOMMATE... I.E. I wont EVER tell someone to come pick something up from my house with out me here. I have had a couple of buddies robbed by people who knew their names and what they have and said that the owner said it was ok to pick "X" up....

My friends have been told that much like a M/C they are responsible for their friends. IE... Your friend ends up being the one who robbed me it is just a much their fault as it is the guys who robbed me... SO DON'T bring people to my house.... I have some cool shit in my garage and plan on keeping it that way....

Fab up some window bars.... (fire code worthy of coarse...)

make up some kind of hidden switch that disables your ignition ...

( I am going to wire my ignition to a relay that won't allow the car to start without steping on the brake pedal and having your seatbelt on. who steals a car with their seat belt on? )

lets just take an extra second or hour or what ever to keep our shit ours....

2. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

Great advice and it only takes a little bit of time and effort to assess what could be easy ways to get to your car, tools or other stuff. Also, by talking to neighbors, we bring back the watch out for each other and friendliness that America used to be known so well for. Thanks for posting Kona.

SpeedAddict001

3. My buddy who owns a junkyard just called me. Seems a customer of his just moved back to his summer place and found his 2 Nissan Pathfinders gone as well as his generator and everything of value in the house. The neighbour watched 2 guys with a Dodge 1/2 ton and a car dolley take everything away in a couple of trips.....

4. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

You Missed one thing,
    Keep it cocked and locked!Thieves will be shot, if still alive they will be shot again!

5. big creep

big creep

you just told us how to start you car. or someday if it doesn't start the normal way. we all now know.

6. big creep

big creep

I second that!!

7. Fenders

Fenders

I will be over tomorrow to get your car, I will put the seatbelt on...

Ha ha just kidding, good idea !!

8. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Hell yea. It amazes me about all of these shops getting jacked. REAL sketchy feelings about the ones on the left coast(in regards to the LACK of protection for the owner and the "rights" of the fuckwad thief). It sucks when you get to a point in life where you want to show people the labor of your efforts and then this shit happens. I say that because 9 times out of 10 it's a friend of a friend, an acquaintence, etc... that knew about your shit in the first place. Not getting political, not going to preach anything, but we are who we surround yourself with, folks. Definitely one more reason I'm so fixated on doing all/most of my own work and keeping the party out of the shop.
    I'm not divulging any of the "boobytraps"-wait-I mean "protective solutions" I've created to keep my shit in my possession, but we all have to take those extra steps to "keep people honest". In the end though, if someone wants something bad enough, they're gonna get it one way or another. Damn shame.

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

Well said squiqy, in Florida we can shoot you in the yard now,don"t have to drag you in the house anymore.I have 10 acres and a backhoe for thieves.like the old days don"t get mad get even,with no witness.

10. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I know I know... I was thinking of not posting my tricks on my cars I building... but IF you can start my cars up and drivem you can have em... (both project cars...)

I thought I might give a couple of people an idea on keeping cars from getting stolen...

11. big creep

big creep

hahahaha. my trick was the high beam light switch.

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It ain't hard times that cause people to victimize their acquaintences.

It's strange to me that someone would be able to name a 'friend' that he might suspect if something came up missing. Why do they continue relationships if honesty is in question?

I don't hang with people of questionable character. Every one of my friends is welcome on my property whether I'm there or not. Period.

13. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

It wasn't really based on my friends not being allowed here... They would be.. It is the people who know my name and what I have walking off with stuff that I am wanting to keep off my property...

14. saints

saints

keep your garage doors down or dont pull all your stuff out in the driveway to work on your car......I keep my garage door about half way up so you cant see all the way back where my tools and welders are......you would be surprised at how many people slow down to see what your doing in your garage some just want to see the car and some might be making a shopping list......dont advertise

15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Think like a thief......and a big old board full of 6 inch nails laying under the windows to the shop & razor blades on the slide locks are a good idea' passed along from an old timer. If some chump/tweaker break's into my shop.....it will be pretty difficult to get out (with my mess......haha), and he may have an issue from hitting the floor.

Chris

PS, walk around your shop after 10pm and look for places that you could break into your place......you will be REAL surprised @ how many dogs bark and your neighbor's don't even turn on a light.

16. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

Here is some other advice. If you have windows in your garage think about replacing them with a smaller opening of glass block of 1-2 courses. That way the idiots who want to get in have to work a bunch harder. You still get daylight.

17. You think its bad now? Wait till all the little shits are off school for the summer.
    My community is a bedroom community..meaning all that work leave early in the AM and get home late in the evening..
    So those that don't work have free reign during the day.
    I am one of those guys that works from home. I see all the sketchy people driving by checking out all the houses.
    Most are metal scrappers looking for anything to grab.

I watch them all..I'm sorta on a hill, so I can see people coming and going.

But one must leave at times, and thats what I prepared everything for.
    I'm not saying what it is.;)

Do not leave anything out that would help them break in..sldge hammers, bolt cutters, torch, saws, prybar, key under the mat...etc,.

18. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I'm going to [once again] share my low buck security system tech tip with everyone.

Check with your cell phone company about activating the GPS feature on your account, and then add a second line to your plan. Buy the cheapest phone they offer with GPS capability.

Install an extra 12V outlet [cigarette lighter] under the dash out of sight.
    Get a 12V charger for the new cell phone, plug it all up, and hide the cell phone, permanently plugged into the charger under the dash. Make sure to hide it good!!!

If anyone ever borrows my car without my permission, a quick check on the internet will give it's exact location in real time.

My extra phone cost $25 to buy, and the second line on my cell plan sets me back $10 a month... Much cheaper than Lojack, plus the added benefit of knowing I have the option of "investigating" who's messing with my stuff... Then I get to make the decision to call the police or deal with it "personally".

Fortunately I'v never had to use it in a stolen car situation, but I did catch my ex-wife, and a couple girlfriends in the middle of a lie once or twice. :D

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Move to Iowa. I don't know anyone that's ever gotten anything stolen... I'm sure it happens now and then, but not like you guys are experiencing in the big city.

20. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

I'm a big fan of the whole "special start up sequence". The last 3 cars we built don't have keys other than locks, theres a sequence of different buttons and switches, most if not all are hidden or disquised. That way its not so much of being in possession of a key to start the vehicle as knowing a memorized sequence and location of devices.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to have a golden retriever who the neighbor claimed had several different barks.
    Damned cat
    sing along with the neighborhood dogs
    feed me
    who the hell are you?
    Get your ass out here with the shot gun now we got trouble!!!!

My place has had the bbd security system for a number of years and I may need to get another bbd to help Harley out. A good dog who knows his business is worth his weight in gold.

I don't have one material item that is worth shooting anyone over but I'll still protect my wife, kids and dog with any means it takes.

Just remember that the next time you find a "hot" deal on car parts or tools that are way too cheap for what they are, someone may have been ripped off.

I full and well agree with taking every precaution to keep your shops and home garages safe and that may include meeting prospective buyers of items you have for sale off premises. Unless it is a big item, in today's world I don't see anything wrong with telling a prospective buyer to meet you in a common public place. Such as Meet me at the 7-11 at 5th and Main. I'll be in the blue ________ Pickup. I often have guys who want to buy something from me meet me in the parking lot where I work. Public place but still on my turf and I have as many as a dozen law enforcement people within shouting distance of where my truck sits most of the time.

But I can agree with
    don't post your address where people with sticky fingers may see it.
    don't post photos showing the front of your house or the street number
    If you have an event at your house make it a rule that participants don't post photos of the same.An
    Be careful who the hell you tell what you have or where you tell it.
    And be damned careful who you let in your shop or back shop. That can be rough because even the most innocent guy can blabber when he gets a few brews in his gut and often it may just be bragging that gets listened to by the wrong people, as in "yea I was over to _______ ____________ shop the other day and he has this ______ and that ______________ that are cool as hell. Oh you know, up there on seventy third and Jones in that big blue shop. No sign but he does hot rod work. He showed me around his shop the other day and shit he has a lot of cool stuff in there.

Just be careful, that's all I can say.

On your vehicles, especially your rods I agree 100% Add something extra in the system for either starting or running that is somewhat hidden but not so hidden that people riding with you actually notice.
    An extra push button, toggle switch or combo there of or maybe even a prominent start button that is actually a horn button.

For a long time my 48 had a toggle switch for a igniton switch and a push button starter switch but my best bud didn't even notice for a long time that I didn't have a key in the igniton switch. Emergency wiring when I lost my keys one night and had to get home.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  22. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

It's a shame really. We completely empty our racecar trailers outback behind our shop...and leave all the doors unlocked, and no lock on the tailgate [but a hitch lock installed!!!] and we've had tweakers break into trailers TWICE....break in...to an unlocked trailer. One time they completely destroyed the unlocked side door of our big TPD, that was fun.

23. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Dude you rock...What a great idea. I'm going to do this. Thankx for the info Man.

24. Deuces

Deuces

Mine is with the cigarette lighter and a piece of wire. :D

25. MR 48..I agree on the talking thing..Loose lips sink ships..

Its usually the buddy of one of your kids, or a friend of yours that blabs the info..
    Also telling guys on message boards that you are going to be in such and such place for the weekend..
    Viva, El Mirage, Santa Maria, the Roundup, Bonneville..

It lets a fella know you are not there. Not smart.

I would hope if a neighbor saw a couple guys loading stuff out of my garage without me in the picture, that they would do something..
    I can't guarantee they would. I can't guarantee they won't be the ones doing it.

So what to do? I figure just make it so hard to get in so they really have to make scene to do it.
    Its good, but really sucks ass when you lock your own keys in the house.............:rolleyes:

26. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Kinda same story here with my old cassette deck(the 80's), razor blades taped to the very back. At a party back in high school, 6 or 7 cars got broken into, purses, stereos, etc.. stolen, 'til they got to mine. If it wasn't dark outside I would've followed the trail(and there was a trail leaving my doorsill), but no one asking for band aids ever showed their faces for the rest of the night. Still pretty satisfying though.

27. big creep

big creep

lojack works the same way. and you save on your car insurance! we had a car returned to us in 12 hours! the car ended up in mexico! and they found it fast!!!!!

28. helps to be home at all different hours if you can. I live in the country, and get a few "Place looked vacant. Was gonna ask if it was for rent." If it looked vacant, who were they gonna ask?
    Might help that I greet ALL strangers with a 12guage pump.
    And the metal doors to my house and shop are wired using an electric fence power source. Unpleasant. Don't ask me how I know...
    And a little tip for country dwellers. Plant Holly bushes, Oregon Grape or anything with BIG thorns under your windows. Thieves by nature are lazy fucks who really don't want to mess with the pain thorns can cause.

29. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I also have a safety switch that turns the coil on, and its pretty cool to turn the switches on b4 ignitin the car! :D
    Its not hidden, but im thinkin b4 they notice the battery will die!
    Im thinkin of addin a second one. My car isnt desirable in the state it is now, but you never know, and i had stuff stolen from the inside a couple of times. So must do!
    Im also workin (in my head still) to some sort of security system to install to the shop in the new house where im goin to move next month.
    Something that makes'em leave in a bloody mess if possible!
    Any suggestions other than razorblades?

30. My neighborhood is easy, all you need is a big dog. Scares 'em enough that they look elsewhere.