Register now to get rid of these ads!

help, speedo gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordolet60, May 4, 2010.

1. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

I am having a problem figureing out how to hook up the speedo gear into the transmission on my 1960 ford f-100. I just put a turbo 400 in it. Getting it in and bolted was the easy part, I just cant figure the gear out. Is there a kit i can buy or is there a home remedy for it. I think the gear is stock, I know the cable is. The gear fit and worked on the 350 i had in it. Anybody have a solution for this?

2. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

A ready made solution for me when I installed a turbo 350 in my 55 Lincoln was to use a cable for a 54 Lincoln. It worked perfect.

Since the 1954 Lincoln used a Hydramatic (GM) tranny, a 54 cable fit my spedo and the THM.

I am sure that there are other solutions, but this one will almost certainly work for you, it worked perfect for me except I used the wrong gear... :D

3. duste01

duste01

better know your rear-end ratio, the ratio the tranny gear is for and then find a good parts house that still references the books. Once you have matched the gear to a corresponding rear ratio, the guys with the books can match the ends of cable if you know what kind of attachment they have. I would target a NAPA myself.

4. since all USA speedometers are calibrated at 1000 revolutions equals 1 mile , getting your's to read correctly is not a problem...if you do your homework. i do it all the time , just did it this week on a th350 for my own project

first thing you need to figure out is what DRIVE gear you have in your th400. then you you need your rear end gear ratio and tire diameter

then go to this website and calculate what DRIVEN gear you need , it even gives you GM part numbers:

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/speedo_gears.asp

driven gears are available from any GM dealer , about $5

the same speedo cable that screwed on the th350 should screw on the th400

5. Fedman

Fedman

6. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

well the one for the 350 had the a female thread that was held on by a clip the looked like a distributer hold down. The 400 has malt threads coming out and i dont kmow what to do with them

7. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

male threads not malt, sorry

8. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

THM 350 and 400 use the same cable, but they use a different "gear holder". It sounds like you need the need the part that holds the gear.

[​IMG]

I think this one will do the job, it can be found on a popular internet auction site under 54 Lincoln cable.

You need this...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-880021/?rtype=10

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  9. F&J

F&J

Just asking... did the 400 come with the gear and it's round aluminum housing?

it almost sounds like you are trying to put the TH350 round aluminum housing into the 400? I think they are different, but it's been a long time since I worked with those.

10. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

ok yeah i need the hold down but i dont know how to take out the male thread thing or even what it is.

11. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

i dont know. the thing is round and about an inch long and about a half an inch wide and has a small square piece sticking out of it. I dont have a picture of it right off hand

12. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

One thing to know is that the "gear holder" varies according to the gear you install. The bigger gears require a "holder" that has the hole offset more. They are marked to show what range of gears they will work with.
    One source to try is a transmission shop.

13. F&J

F&J

[​IMG]

found this on google images...summit racing Co....says it's for the TH400.
    Do you have this installed?

If yes, then the gear is in there, but may not be the right amount of teeth for your rear ratio and tire size.

The old cable that screwed to the TH350 should fit onto the 400

14. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

see the one that is my 400 lokks nothing like that. The threaded pard is the size of the whole thing and its not open on the end

15. F&J

F&J

Beats me what you have there. It does not sound familiar. It does not sound like a "speedometer adapter" which is a small gearbox that is sometimes factory installed, to alter the speedometer cable speed on some vehicles.

16. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

i know i've never seen anything like it.

17. F&J

F&J

Here is one kind of adapter. This one is angled, some are straight. Is this it?[​IMG]

18. F&J

F&J

One last thought...is it some sort of ELECTRONIC speedo sender?????

19. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

well it looks like the piece that is threaded at the 90 but the hold down is not there

20. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

i dont know the tranny is out of an 80's chevy p/u

21. F&J

F&J

[​IMG]

google page shows this as an electronic TH400. the sensor wheel goes in the trans on the output shaft.

22. fordolet60

fordolet60
    from iowa

yeah i know thats not it