Register now to get rid of these ads!

I've got issues (mechanical...)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pennylane, May 3, 2010.

1. pennylane

pennylane
    from 1904

So I recently picked up a 59 fairlane. My first classic and the only thing I knew about cars when I picked it up was how to make the inside look pretty. Anyways I've been learning and absorbing as much as possible since I got it. So the tranny needs rebuilding I know, it does not go on reverse. It has been starting fine and running devine since I got it and I have been driving it daily. Today however it died mid drive. I added oil (it was low) checked to make sure it was getting gas.... I think maybe it's not getting spark? But mid drive?!

So.....before I hand it over to some one who wants my bank acct with it, can you guys make some suggestions on what I should check out? I'm in southern Cali so if any one can help over a few beers or suggest a good local shop that works too..... Thank you guys, help appreciated!!
    Cheers
    Sheena

2. dannyego

dannyego

generator....fuel pump....clogged fuel filter...Those would be the most likely culprits. Where you able to restart it after it died?

3. ThePuck

ThePuck
    from Ottawa

If the car was sitting, it's probably the fuel filter.

4. girlytbird

girlytbird
    from Pittsburgh

Will the motor crank? 1) if it will crank check for spark @ the points. If there's spark @ the points then pull a spark plug out and put it into the spark plug wire set it against the motor so that the plug is grounded to metal (you'll need an extra hand) have some one else try to start the car while you watch the plug to see if it sparks. If there's a spark put it back. Probably not the problem.
    2) To check if it's fuel buy a can of starting fluid remove your air filter from carb and spray small doses into your carb. Then start immediately after spray. If it starts that mean you're not getting fuel.

If it's not cranking check for loose or broken wires on backside of ignition switch, check for loose or broken wire on backside of generator. With out looking @ the car that's the best I can do.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
    andi

5. pennylane

pennylane
    from 1904

Thank you guys! I was able to get it going! It was a wire on the back wall (firewall?) of the car, it was janky looking and taped with electrical tape so i got it to hold up until I got home and put a new connecter on it tonight... I am back on the road, at least for now!

I appreciate your help, Im sure Ill be returning with more questions sooner than later :)
    ...This is all just another part of the good times

Cheers!
    Sheena

6. girlytbird

girlytbird
    from Pittsburgh

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

None of us here were born with this knowledge. We all started at ground zero too. It's always something simple on a 59 Ford. You need spark, fuel and compression all at the correct time and it will run.

Generally if it cuts off going down the road then I'd suspect an electrical problem. A fuel problem will probably sputter before it dies. An easy way to see if it is a fuel problem is to spray some gum cutter into the carb as someone turns it over. If it suddenly starts for a second or two then you have a fuel delivery problem and you know where to start looking.

Check it for spark. If no spark then find out why. It could be as simple as a loose wire on the coil, a broken coil wire or a broken timing chain. Unlikely but possible.

The biggest mistake that a novice makes is assuming what the problem is and starts tearing things apart before they prove that it IS the problem. Only change one thing at a time knowing where it was before so that you can put it back to where it was before changing something else. Right now you probably only have one problem. Randomly tearing into things can cause more problems. Don't change the timing hoping that it will fix the problem. It was in time when it was running.

Find out if it is a fuel problem or an electrical problem and then someone here can guide you through the diagnostic procedures to fix it building your knowledge base. Be sure to include the type of engine that you are dealing with...6cyl? Y block? 352? The basics are all the same for each but there can be some common problems for each engine.

A 59 Ford is a great car to learn diagnostics on. No computers or sensors to screw with your head.

8. Cruddy wires will get you every time. Once had the cable from the neg term on the battery loosen up just enough to stop the connection, but still looked connected. Damn near pulled every hair out of my head trying to get the thing to start. In my frustration, I leaned on the fender, my hand hit the cable and I saw a spark. Old cars are great for teaching you all kinds of lessons. Enjoy every moment of pleasure, because the WTF moments will be a plenty. Have Fun!

9. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I love it when it's a simple (inexpensive) fix!

- Joe