Register now to get rid of these ads!

nailhead 4jet questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bastadical, Sep 26, 2006.

1. bastadical

bastadical
    from Fenton, MI

Well, last week hot rod to hell and I got the 322 in my 56 roadmaster running. The problem is the carb is leaking all kinds of gas. It's leaking bad enough that even just a couple of shots of carb cleaner in it will leak out. It is leaking between the upper carb body and the lower plate. It might just be a f'd up gasket, but not sure... the other thin is the gasket looks like it might not be right? There all kinds of holes and stuff not covered... but honestly I am not sure what I am looking for as I know just a little less than nothing about carbs.

It is a rochester 4gc that is missing the tag, but everything I have run across says it should be #7009200

What I am wondering is are kits for other 4gc's interchangeable? The kit for mine is special order only and looks like I will be into it for about $50 after shipping. I would love to be able to get out of it a little cheaper if I can. Also, what is the likelyhood that rebuilding it will have no effect at all? The car ran good as long as I kept it on the gas, but would't idle and we figure that if it is losing gas it is also sucking a bunch of air.

Any help you can give would be great.

J

2. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Anybody?

Autozone can get a kit for the 4GC from a '57 Nailhead, for $18.

The only thing is, a '57 is a 364, not a 322; and the carbs have different part numbers.

Will the kit from the '57 work in the '56 carb?
    Are there any other applications that may have a kit that will work for us?

All we really need at this point is the gasket that goes between the main body and the baseplate of the carb...

Thanks guys!

3. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Come on guys... SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE, must know SOMETHING about these carbs!:confused:

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Quite easy to repair ... why not soak it in real carb cleaner overnight, blow everything dry, then install the kit. If you use all the right parts and the rest of the fuel and electrical is up to snuff, you shouln't have any trouble

5. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

That's the problem... The "RIGHT" parts are only available from restoration companies, at $50 per kit. The '57 Kit is available damn near anywhere, and is $18.

Rebuilding a carb is easy... trying to figure out what parts interchange from year to year for a carb that nobody likes is a whole different ball game!:eek:

6. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

BTTT for the night time crew!

7. jetmek

jetmek

while i dont know, if it were mine id go for it. chances are good that its the same basic carb and gaskets, just with minor variations...

8. DerKafer

DerKafer
    from San Diego

I know the thread is dead, but I'm adding this for the archives...

I have the same carb on my 56 nailhead, the Rochester 4GC tag: 7009200.

I went out and bought the carb kit spoken of above, here is the answer:

Has-
    Gaskets, except for the base gasket (carb to intake)
    New needle valves and seats

Doesn't have-
    Base gasket
    Jets
    Plunger / rubber for the plunger
    Plunger rubber boot (through the top of the carb)

Hope this helps someone else out there with this funky carb.

9. carbking

carbking

I also noted the date on the thread.

However:

The Rochester 4G series is NOT an unusual carb; nor are parts difficult (at least by mail order).

The MAJOR PROBLEM with the carburetor is users that try to oversimplify.

Rochester produced many DIFFERENT 4G series carbs for many DIFFERENT applications; and thus there are many DIFFERENT rebuilding kits.

Would you try to put Holley dominator gaskets on a Holley teapot carb? If not, why not; after all, they are both Holley 4 barrels. The same reasoning applies with Rochester.

When looking for parts, IDENTIFY the specific carburetor you have, and then order the parts. The good kits will have: fuel valves, accelerator pump, accelerator pump top boot, the correct gaskets (and there are tons of different gaskets) including the base to manifold gasket, primary jets, power valve, check balls, clips, etc. AND there are actually BETTER kits than these available.

These carburetors were used as original equipment on literally millions of automobiles, trucks, and boats from 1952~1966. They really were mainstream carbs, and quite good in quality.

Jon.

10. Should be the same kit. I don't recall there being a different kit for different years of the Rochester 4 jet which is what it should have had from the factory.