Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone know[32 ford]

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harpo1313, Nov 18, 2008.

1. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

this old 32 came out of minnisota about 4 years ago. although restored to look like this[perhaps the car woody had seen in the high school parking lot in, Boy gets car.or the coupe bud crane drove in Hot rod to make the best time[Henry Gregor Felson books]. im still trying to find out the history.a few not so common[but common for a short time in the hot rod days]front spring in front of axle.split a bones mount and bent.coupes body channeled but welded to frame.also rear is mounted eliptical and those traction bars made from rebar. the dash is also unique 56 dodge dash with duece coupe 2 and pinstriping . two last items are the hibbings timing association on the quarter window and the plate that came with the car,minn 13122[if that helps the past owner can be found].rumored that the past color was red[found hints of that under paint] and ran a hemi [which would explain the donor car [dash,rear and motor]. im sure the old builder would love to know his work has proven itself and has not been altered over the years,any info or past owners would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Attached Files:

• 075.jpg
      075.jpg
      File size:
      104.8 KB
      Views:
    • 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      File size:
      96.6 KB
      Views:
    • 071.jpg
      071.jpg
      File size:
      106.3 KB
      Views:
    • 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      File size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
    • 058.jpg
      058.jpg
      File size:
      119.8 KB
      Views:
    • 067.jpg
      067.jpg
      File size:
      104 KB
      Views:
    • 076.jpg
      076.jpg
      File size:
      111.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    bowie likes this.
  2. 31whitey

31whitey

have always like this car....

that rebar is scarry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dont know anything about its history.

3. I've never seen the car around here... but I live near Hibbing and, know alot of old car guys in the area. I'll ask around to what I can find out for you.

4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

bump for the evening group, as far as the rear bein scary ,ive been all through it when it came this way and even for stick welding the builder was right on throughout,not to mention this car gets the wheels driven out of it,even a couple jonts through the big shitty goin south from here. thanks again

5. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

neat car ! is the frame Z`d in the back ?

6. This old photo was just in a local newspaper for a contest. It sure looks to be an earlier version of this same car. The chop and stance are dead on... It's hard to see in this scan, but in the photo you can see that it has the spring in front of the axle, the cowl vent is filled in, it looks like the same rear view mirror. Also, you mentioned the Hibbing timing association sticker. Hibbing is only about 20 miles from here. I would say that's the same car. I contacted the editor of the paper to see if I could get more info about it... she said she would get back to me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. F&J

F&J

It looks the same...all the other things you matched, plus the cowl hangs a tad bit lower than the bottom of the frame...exactly the same in both pics. Must be it

8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

holy shit .thought i was on a dead end road on this one till now.i really am thankful good ol boy.we were told it had a hemi at one time, but no evidence of that,just the dodge dash and rear. special thanks again. ron

9. nailhead ed

nailhead ed

as they say ron "timing is everything" that old black and white is a dead ringer for glenn's ride, you are as persistent as a dog on a "t" bone. thanks good ol boy for your interest and info, our friend has been on a search for some history for this 5 window for quite some time now

10. I asked some local guys when this thread was originally posted, but nobody knew the car I was talking about. When I saw that picture in the paper I knew right away that it had to be the same car. It's just a small newspaper that only comes out weekly. Every week they have a small section on local classic cars... last week was that photo. They're giving away a free car wash to the first person who can guess the name of the guys in the photo. Hopefully they put the results in this weeks paper with the names. I asked if they could email me a copy of the original photo, the lady said she'd forward my request to the guy that does that section... he should have it. I'll post more info, if I can come up with anything else.

11. geage

geage

this is the BULLS BALLS, good job guys, Glen this is grounds to party,,, sat night ,beer and ''meatless'' chili,,,,and beaver for desert.

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

wow. check that out. good info a year and a half later. out of the blue. very cool.

13. boy wonder

boy wonder
    BANNED
    from ma

wow ,what are the chances. looks like a dead ringer.congrats

14. Well, the newspaper didn't print the names, and they couldn't give me any info.

So, I showed that picture to my Dad and asked him if he knew who those guys are. It just so happens that my parents just bought a brand new car a couple days ago, and the dealer had that same picture on his screen saver. My parents said, "our son would really like that old coupe". The dealer said that was his hotrod when he was in high school, and that's him on the right in the picture. They built that car when he was a senior in high school. That picture was taken around 1959 or '60. He said that he wished he would've never sold that car.

I'm going to stop by the dealer tomorrow and talk with him more about it. My dad said he thinks the guy will be very excited to hear about it because he said that was probably his favorite car and he's had alot over the years.

15. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

This kinda shit is unreal, awsome information. Keep it coming its like a good book, I cant wait for the next chapter.:cool::cool:

16. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

christ ,it gets better every day.a little update on this end.my buddy glen [the owner of this car]putting it mildly is beside himself about this new photo [thanks a shitload to good ol boy] and i havent even called him on this latest news yet,probly gonna put him over the top.as for the car ,it came with a worn 350 thats still in it but he has a fresh 283 for it goin in soon.all else but a owner built interior and a new[if new means a 68 chevy truck harness modified to work] the car sits as it was ,although the bat wasnt on the firewall when purchased and nows perched in the trunk.this thread is playing out like a dream to glen i tell ya. ron

17. geage

geage

ron ,swing on in tonight if you can,

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Cool car with an even cooler story.

19. Wow, cool car and cool story!

20. geage

geage

Glen takes a break from burning up the cape cod asphalt in his coupe and swings into the Saturday night garage party at the Fast Gas Garage. Being a true hot rodder into fast cars and even faster women, but lacking in the area of computer science, or to cheap to fix his broken computer. He relies on friends like Ron to post on the hamb for him, and here Ed presents him with a paper copy of the hamb thread. And for the first time he gets a glimpse into the past ,and all those times we sat and looked over his car and said "look at the way this was done" and "wow see how they did that. Then to find out it was done by a couple of hot rodding kids in the mid - late fifty's back when all this stuff was started is just icing on the preverbal hot rod cake. The cool this about this story is when Glenn bought this car it looked quite a bit different, it had gone through some real bad seventies and eighties big hair trends, Like slicks on the back .big goofy headers and some ugly headlight stanchions. Glenn had a vision of what he thought it should look like then to see the picture of it in the fifties, he had unknowingly taken it back to the way it was. We call that the Christine effect. that car was talking to him and he was smart enough to listen.There is nothing like good stories hanging out with cool friends and cool cars throw in a little chili hot enough to burn the hair off the nuts of a shetland pony and a few cold beers to wash it all down. We call that a Good Time!<O:p</O:p[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Greg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  21. I talked to him a little bit about it. He said he built the car in 1957. They chopped and channeled it, and the top and all the work was done with lead. He said it had '42 Buick taillights when he had it, a '57 Ford steering wheel, the front rims were merc rims reveresed and the rear were chrysler rims. It had 15 coats of 56 chev dusk plum paint on it. He said they called the car "the play pen"

I'm working on getting some more pictures of it, he's gonna do some digging.

22. kisam

kisam

Great story!

23. nailhead ed

nailhead ed

great ending to this search for some history on this old 5 window....only thing better would be the builder seeing the current version...a true testament to 50"s hot rod engineering...well done guys

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

To quote a line from one of my favorite old TV shows "I love it when a plan comes together". A successful search for the history of these old hot rods is much like an archealogical dig. When the past comes into focus it's cause for celebration.

Frank

25. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Awesome story and a very cool car.

26. jc555247

jc555247

Hey, As for coming into focus, Let me just say this. " I was there at the Fast Gas garage last Saturday and I ate some of the CHILI. The stuff was so hot me eyes are still watering and blurry. Greg and Ed may know how to fab rods ETC but I'm not too sure about the chili. Good thing I got a good look at Glens 32 Five window before I got into the chili and the home made brew. Next time I go back i will be bringing my one roll of TP.
    All in all it was a great time and Glen has a cool rod, no doubt about that.

27. Roadsir

Roadsir

Could this be the same car in 1976 (see link several pics down). I was there but only 12 years old. Similar chop, and channel. Radius rods may not come in at the same point, headlight stands are aluminum aftermarket. Looks real close. Ted is still very active member in the MSRA

http://terrysgarage.homestead.com/archives1d.html

28. Well, it turns out that's the only picture of the car that he knows of. I showed him some of the current pictures from this thread and he was happy to know that the car is still around. He doesn't remember who bought the car... only that it was around the area for a number of years. The Hibbing Timing Association sticker must have come from a later owner, as he didn't remember it. He was from Chisholm, Minnesota... which is less than 10 miles from Hibbing.

He emailed me a better copy of that photo... I can email a larger version to one of you guys if you want... photobucket just automatically downsized it.
    [​IMG]

29. geage

geage

thanks for the clear picture, I print it out for him.glen is very thankful

30. geage

geage

you could be on to something , right time ,right place