Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. John

Dr. John

Anyone know who anything about this driver? We have an Italian-American newspaper in Las Vegas called "La Voce" (The Voice) and they have a section where families may post their old photos. This month it is the Macchiaverna Family. I guess they are from N.J. (East Orange) because of one of the photo captions. One color photo depicts a race car -- '35-'36 Chevy coach, No. 88, orange with white numerals. The frame, roll cage, nerf bars and inner body are painted white. The caption only says, "Louie's dirt track stock car, 1967." Was there a Louie Macchiaverna who lived/raced in N.J. in '67?

2. Dr. John

Dr. John

Anyone know who anything about this driver? We have an Italian-American newspaper in Las Vegas called "La Voce" (The Voice) and they have a section where families may post their old photos. This month it is the Macchiaverna Family. I guess they are from N.J. (East Orange) because of one of the photo captions. One color photo depicts a race car -- '35-'36 Chevy coach, No. 88, orange with white numerals. The frame, roll cage, nerf bars and inner body are painted white. The caption only says, "Louie's dirt track stock car, 1967." Was there a Louie Macchiaverna who lived/raced in N.J. in '67?

3. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

This is my project going together...
    racinman[​IMG]">[​IMG]

4. butch27

butch27

Racin---Cool are you going to race it this year?

5. [​IMG]
    Charlie Glazier
    [​IMG]
    Dave Alkas
    [​IMG]
    Don Moon

6. [​IMG]
    Dave Germano
    [​IMG]
    Bill Brown
    [​IMG]
    Bill Harris

7. racemad55

racemad55

Those Harbach construction pics,what is that 3/4 ton quickchange? factory made ?

8. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Bullfather,
    Your pictures are the absolute best, so many that I have never seen before. I look forward to all your posts. Do you have any pictures from Riverside Park or the Eastern States Exposition?

9. Pete, thanks for all of the Dutchman's photos. The first shop there was when Freddie was still partners with his brother Teddy, the second shop was on Pulaski Rd just west of Railroad Ave next to S&S Salvage and around the block from Gardners who ran all those figure 8 cars and such. Great stuff son.

10. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Yes I hope to have it on the track sometime this season, I have most of the Go stuff ready and getting ready to do the cosmetics
    racinman Rick

11. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

This is OCFS. Bobby Botcher, not sure if that is spelled correctly.

[​IMG]

12. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

This car is gary balough I believe. It was one of the first cars I recall was chomed out and so on.

[​IMG]

13. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

Does anyone know who this is? I bought this as a present to my mom when I was pretty small at OCFS. It was a nice car. I only saw it once or twice.

Check out the outfield car spectator parking!. Full. I remember my uncle would save us a seat on turn 4 exit. They had bleacher seats around 3 and 4 that used to fill up. I plan to hit a couple races there this year, it is about 2.5 hours, but it is a shadow of what it was in the 70's

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  14. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

I saw this car once. Anyone know if it still exists. I think this may have been in the 80's? Not sure.

The photo may help the guy trying to mount the body.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  15. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Flemke in # 44 ? Great Pics

16. bcengines

bcengines

The #4 may have been Sonny Strupp?

17. ganga

ganga

I love the way you set the body......great position

18. Dr. John

Dr. John

This came from a friend, Steve Szalus, who used to live in N.J.: "That looks like the pit from Atlantic City raceway; a lot of guys ran dirt cars there on Friday nights (on asphalt) and then dirt on Saturday. http://atlanticcityspeedway.com/button.html "

19. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

Lou Toro in 44 Racing/ Mario Fiore's 44 Gary Coultri,Died when it was the Screaming Yellow Zoonker , then Lou Tabone drove it car was orange same as Lou Toro ( in the Pic) drove it all in the same year . Buggsy Stevens drove it at the All Star race at the Park too.

20. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great pictures, thanks again for posting them. Yes, probably Sonny Strupp with the gold suit in Charlie Sanders' coupe. Classic car for the pre-tube chassis era.
    Joel

21. [​IMG]
    Freddy Colossa
    [​IMG]
    Fred Harbach pin, I remember these when I was little for all the drivers, I had few different ones.
    [​IMG]
    Jack Geary

22. [​IMG]
    Don Spazzano
    [​IMG]
    Elliott Beveridge
    [​IMG]
    Elton Hill

23. [​IMG]
    Jack Proulx
    [​IMG]
    Jap Membrino
    [​IMG]
    Art Tappen

24. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Elliott Beveridge
    [​IMG]
    Herb Hulse

25. JBull

JBull
    from NY

[​IMG]
    lazzaro/bodine at islip[/QUOTE]
    This photo brings back memories. I believe it is the 1974 all Star 300 at Islip. As a kid the first 3 or 4 years of this race was the tops at Islip. With a good purse and lots of lap money it drew the tops in Modified Drivers in the Norhteast. Larry Mendelson knew how to get them there. There was no time trials for this race. All qualifying was done through heats (there were guaranteed starters who won races throughout the year at different tracks). Evans, Cook, Bodine, Troyer, Stevens, Flemke, Worley, Radford, Lazzaro, Reutimann, Cagle all came....The 1974 race went to the dirt track drivers. Buzzie Reutimann was leading in his dirt track coupe #00 when he ran out of gas in the closing laps and handed the lead over to Lou Lazzaro in the 93 ( a car I believe that was owned by Jerry Rose). Jim Landry form New Hampshire in 1973 and Lou Lazzaro in 1974 were the only other two drivers to win this year end endurance race...Richie Evans won the next 5 or 6 in a row

26. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Here are some early All Star photos from various tracks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.