Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 pontiac cpe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi man, Dec 28, 2009.

1. hemi man

hemi man

Show me your 1940 pontiac coupes:)

2. hemi man

hemi man

A friend's 1940 pontiac cpe with a supercharged 350 chevy.

Attached Files:

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oooh, That's wicked looking. It should have a Poncho engine, however. ;)

4. markjenks

markjenks

Picked these two 2511's this last summer.

Both are completely stock and not modified at all.

Bought the black one for parts for the green one, but the black one is better..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009

5. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

That black one is beautiful! But anything that comes out of Wisconsin scares me to death! Glad to see them found and not rotting away.............this May I have to go fetch my Warrior out of Wisconsin........once that white stuff goes away.

6. markjenks

markjenks

Actually, I'm pretty surprised at how nice the black one is. Been in 4 states in the midwest it's entire life. Last on the road back in the 80's.

The green one hasn't seen the road since 1965. Has some rust on it and need rockers and floorboards, but over all a lot of other things are nicer that the black one. Doors and windows on the green one are just about perfect, and open and close great. Even the back windows work great on it.

The black one, doors are stiff and windows don't like to go up and down.

No matter what happens, I can get one good one! :)

Got a SBC w/ a 400 trans waiting for a home, might end up in one of these.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  7. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

*squirm squirm* You could have two cars.............there's a lot to start with on both! You should see some of the Poncho's I've drug home.:rolleyes:

8. markjenks

markjenks

They both roll and the engine and trans turns over on one. The other, the engine stops at 360, and I need to pull the pan and check that one out. I thinking bad cap or rod.

9. markjenks

markjenks

Okay, serious question time. I knew the 40's that I picked up this summer were rare, and have only found pictures of about 10 different ones in the last 10 years.

Exactly how rare are these? I heard stories from the previous owner of one, that there were one 3 2511's in Wisconsin,and this was one of them.

-Mark

10. Road Runner

Road Runner

Pontiac, Chevy and Olds bodies from the 40s were all made by Fisher/GM and are mostly interchangable. Especially for the not so hardcore restorer and customizers.

When I was a kid and saw the rear/side view of a 40 Torpedo Coupe, in a book I still have, I was hooked and never wanted to own and drive another car.

Eventually I learned about the 41-48 body styles and kept my promise, never the less.
    But I always admire the 40 Torpedoes with the straight 8, for all times.

Attached Files:

11. draginsteel

draginsteel

Road Runner That is a great avatar. I've been there!

We just picked up our next project on Saturday. 1947 Pontiac Coupe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These cars had such classic lines and the Pontiacs a little more detail than the Chevy's. Look at that nose.

I will start a build thread as soon as we get it off the trailer and get started.

12. Road Runner

Road Runner

These 40s coupes never look bad, no matter what angle you look at them....

Sometimes I get on my truck bed and just can't stop looking down at it from a view I normally don't get. Just amazing what the designers at that time accomplished.

13. 55chieftain

55chieftain

On my 41, w/ a 239 I had a valve stuck in the block that acted that way. I could rotate the engine around either way, but couldn't get past one point on the rotation. Alot easier to pull the head and check there first than pulling the pan. That was a PIA to get out. I welded a nut to the top of the valve to turn the valve, than used the adjustment on the lifter to help push the valve up out of the block while turning on the nut.

14. markjenks

markjenks

Never thought about that one. I was thinking normal things that happen with hyd lifters. Solid lifters and all can do that to you.

Been quite a few years since I had solids on anything. I'll start there. :)

Can you even get the pan off without pulling the engine? I know some cars are flat out impossible to do that with.

15. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I haven't tried on mine, but per my 50' Motor manual it can be done.

From my manual: for 35-40 oil pan removal locate #1 piston at top of stroke. for 40-28 series remove the engine front insulator support assembly and rest the engine on a block to facilitate removal of the front oil pan bolts.

For a 40-29 series remove screws which fasten the front support insulator to the radiator and engine support bracket. Jack up the engine and lest it rest on a 1" board, which will provide access to the front oil pan bolts. PM me if you need any other info or start your own thread.

Sorry for the hijack, back to the coupes.

16. markjenks

markjenks

So, anyone else out there have a 40?

17. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad who is (81) had a 40 convert when he was 18, He often wondered how many were made.I dont think Ive ever seen one? Anyone know how many were made?

18. markjenks

markjenks

I also would like to know production numbers for some of these.

1939 Pontiac production reached 144,00 units.
    After record sales of over 330,000 units in 1941

That would put it about 200-225,000 for 1940.

I have 2 Series 25's. One low 4900, the other 45000. So that would mean at least 45000 of those cars.

Convert? No clue.

19. markjenks

markjenks

Wow, good guess on my part.

These were good times for the auto industry and the division, which sold 217,001 cars in 1940.

20. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Heres ours,my wife says it is hers. 55 ponti v8 muncie 4 speed 9" rear.:)

Attached Files:

21. realkustom51

realkustom51

My dad John Vaughn used to show his 40 Coupe back in the early 60's. I got alot of pictures if anyone needs to fact check a body panel or whatnot.
    His had an original (rare) leather interior, original paint, even the original tires. Only 11,000 miles on it when he sold it in the early 90's.

Attached Files:

22. glssrn

glssrn
    from SW Iowa

Getting a 1940 business coupe that needs a hood and trunk lid. what others will interchange with these two items?

23. markjenks

markjenks

Check out these pictures I found on Craigslist..

1940 Pontiac Hearse.. He wants $10k for it.

Attached Files:

24. markjenks

markjenks

I believe that the series 25 shares a lot of parts with the chevys.

As for the frontend, you have to find the same one to go back on it. You gotta look, but I've seen a few of them around.

25. 51shoebox

51shoebox
    from rialto

26. THE SURGEON

THE SURGEON

that hurse is killer!!!!

27. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

Yes, I have a '40 Deluxe 6 Tudor Sedan.

Attached Files:

28. I had a '40 6 cylinder coupe while attending high school and so wish I had held onto it.
    Those cars have a beautiful roof and window line, excellent grills and the hood sides are easily removable.
    Lots of space under the hood too.
    Mine left my stewardship around 1963 after I installed an Olds 303" Sid\'s back yard.png and was last headed to a Midas Muffler shop in Watertown for further modifications by the next owner.