Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's Sunday morning after coffee

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1hotstude, May 2, 2010.

1. 1hotstude

1hotstude

So what are you going to be doing "Hotrodwise" today....procrastinate about what you should be doing, but aren't? Getting very small to tackle a tiny project that builds on a big Hotrod? Driving your rig? Shaking your head in disgust over what is wrong with your rig? Moaning over your lack of funds to complete your project? Wishing you had what you don't? Trying to figure out what the heck your problem is? When you snap on that shop light....are you happy with what you see, or do you just look at it and shake you head and say, "What the heck am I doing?" Or say, "Gosh I wish I had more time to devote to my hot rod passion?"
    What is the number one thing preventing you from completing your Hotrod project? Time, money, motivation, scarcity of parts, know how, wife, other priorities???????
    Lay it all out on the table.......then make a plan-and move forward! Hot rods don't get on the road unless the time is done in the trenches!

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Drove the Shoebox out with a friend to check out a '56 Plymouth for sale. Stupid old man had his daughter tell us it's not for sale anymore. Gonna weld on my model T door later. Right now, beers and a movie while the weather starts to clear.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Up until I sold my car it was cash flow or lack there of. I can't use that as an excuse for a while anyway.:D Getting started has always been the hump for me. I guess I'm just naturally lazy. I blew the brake light fuse yesterday going to a small show so I have to trace down a short today.

I want to pull back the trans in the 56 to install the clutch fork but I'm losing all my ambition for pulling the OD trans by myself on a creeper at my age. I know that I CAN do it...it's just not a fun job. That is the biggest hold up to getting it running and then it's on to the paint job. I've got to get that job in the rear view soon!!!

4. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

When I have time, I don't have money. When I have money, it means I'm working and don't have the time. Putting money aside never works, life always whips a curve ball and causes it to be spent elsewhere.....

5. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

There is this inverse thing that happens to us. We get old and have enough money and time, but our bodies don't cooperate. I would get a lot more done if I didn't have a bad back:D

6. Lets see.....went for coffee and got a lead on a 62 Ford 1/2 ton,took some garbage to the dump and scored some old tins,checked out the 62 Ford "only some trim and the 390 are good",gave a business card to some guys at the gas station hauling scrap vintage tin,stopped at my cuz's place and gave him the tins "he gave me some old 56 Pontiac trim and some wheel covers" then came home. Buddy called and we are heading to a junkyard shortly.....

7. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Timely post, 1hotstude. I was headed to the garage and got sidelined by yard work.
    Been thinking a lot about what I'm getting done car-wise lately.
    I've been picking away at stuff a couple hours at a time lately and seeing some progress, but not as much as I like.
    So I'll keep plugging along...

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did a little yard work then adjusted the clutch and tweaked the FI unit a little on my 57 fuely car--then took it out and leaned on it a little

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tommy, I think that should be our new motto for us been there done that guys. I know I can do it but it just isn't fun anymore.

I got out and inspected the pieces that I picked up at the Tri-Cities (WA) Kennewick, swap meet yesterday. The roadster was the big winner with 18 inch wire wheels, pedals and some other trinkets. Now I need to make a 150 mile one way jaunt out in the big middle of wheat country to pick up a F-1 three speed to go behind the flathead six.

I did find out that I need spacers to make the wires work on my drums but weight shouldn't be a problem there.

Now, It's off to my buddy's house to pick up a rear end for the roadster and maybe this afternoon I'll have something resembling a chassis sitting there.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm at work... earning some money (OT) for the hot rod fund. I don't want to be here when there's a bunch of stuff I could be getting done on any number of hot rod projects but I'm not the type to say "no" to working extra to help out.

I guess I should get back to it... :D

11. Beautiful day to be outside...going to flush out the cooling system on the F-100 before installing the long-awaited Griffin radiator...

time permitting, going to finish the engine compartment paint on the T-Bird so final assembly can commence...

Good times!

12. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Finishing the cowl for my new body on the dragster so I can make the White Walls and drags race in Armore next weekend with a fresh coat of paint instead of bare aluminum.

Funds are always an issue, but motivation seems to be the killer.

13. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Let lunch settle and am heading out to the shop to check for leaks, had the roof worked on a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the spring storms. Clean up some around my 2 projects, Fairlane and Cougar, and pull the heads off the Cougar to install screw in studs. tnrotter

14. Spent most of the day at Temple Academy Dragway. It was the 20th Hill Country Street Rod Nostalgia Drags. This one was dedicated to the memory of Collin Casey. I've got some pics to post, including one of his last ride down the dragstrip when his ashes were scattered. I'll try and post the pics on Tuesday, won't be able to spend any time online until then.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Changed my mind. Welded supports for the driver door on the Shoebox. Now, finish dinner, this 34 yr old dishwasher will earn his keep and the back outside (it's raining right now) to adjust that driver door.

16. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

In the states from Michigan to Alabama we are building an Ark.

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Sunny now...hard rain 10 minutes ago...

18. studeboy

studeboy

Took the wife and kids to an INDOOR car show. My 4yr old son kept saying "I'm gonna have one of these when I get big". Saw some nice cars and talked to some folks I haven't seen in a while. Would've been much more productive if we hadn't forgotten the show flyers for our show in June. Oh well.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Your post worked. I got off my ass and did a little work. Fixed the short but the brake lights still don't work. I need a pedal man to figure that out. Got the fuel line hooked up on the 56 and a few other insignificant tasks done.

Thanks for the kick in the ass.:D

20. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tommy - you don't need a "pedalman", you just need the right length wooden brake pedal depresser.... vic

21. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

After 4 hours of sleep got up and went to the swap meet at the fair grounds, lot of crap, antiques, toys, clothing and such what few car parts that were there did need a home in my shop.
    Them got home and got the SNOW Blower off the tractor and put the mower on the tractor, found the dog lost in the yard and then mowed the grass. Got a BIG HUG from Mrs jalopy for finding our dog out there and now I'm to tired to get any thing done on the 54 so I might take a nap.

22. i missed that swap meet and did some work on my `29 pickup project instead, then changed oil in my `36. tomorrow i will finish up on the TH350 rebuild

23. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

We have been under Flood warnings all day here. Got up and was sanding the inner trim pieces on the Falcon Gasser my son and I are building when it came an absolute monsoon for about an hour. Water was rushing acroos the front of the garage door and down the yard and the small brach by my house that is usually dry looked like the Mississippi (literally). My son and I decided to drive out the road and look at the big creek and was in shock. A friend of mines garage was in about 2 feet of water and the creek behind him was very turbulant to say the least. I went home and got my trailer and we helped him get all his compressors,tools,parts,51 chevy truck,etc out before it got worse. When We got finished helping him I was soaked to the bone....came back home finished sanding my parts my son painted them bright Orange and they are out there DRYING right now....and it is still raining like a mutha.

24. lorodz

lorodz

alot of work on the 56 210 adjusting carbs,driving up and dowm the road ..

25. paintcan54

paintcan54

Had to work till noon. Got off work and watched it rain the rest of the day, got all my rods ready to drive and all it does is rain damn Indiana weather.

26. boldventure

boldventure

27. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I woke up Friday with a nasty cold and only worked a half day. Despite feeling like utter shit I dragged my ass to the tri-cities with my daughter to hit the swapmeet. Picked up a couple of what I think are 32-33 chev pickup doors, a rear sedan door, and a 28-29 gauge cluster complete with a SW speedo. Today I fixed the grill on my boy's truck and built a moving van box for it. :)

Attached Files:

28. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

life always seams to get in the way!!! other than that im just lacking time,money,and talent

29. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Didn't work on the dragster, but I did make some headway re-wiring the Triumph motorcyle, so that's something. Hope to finish the bike and get it back on the road in the next couple of weeks.

30. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Ahhhhhh COFFEE,I love my coffee,Got my horn wired up,New temperature sending unit and gage hooked up,made spacers for the shift linkage,and put on new sway bar bushings.......and probably lost ten punds it was so freek`n hot out! Now just waiting for my king pins to be finished up at the machine shop......