Register now to get rid of these ads!

mission impossible,,,302 in a model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggler, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Most would be gutting the top off a common injection intake and welding in a plate then mounting 3 2s on top.
    I've got a 302 clevo in my A with Cal Custom rocker covers,adapted a gmh water pump to it that shortens the package up and works fine.
    Your car,do what you need to make it happen.:cool:

2. 63Compact

63Compact

Ha ha the one on the coupe is a lump of pine with carbs on it. The one on the Roadster is an injection manifold with an adaptor. Heres a better pic.

[​IMG]

There was a post about them earlier a guy in Queensland cast them.

3. Sorry mines real !![​IMG]whats cooler than 3x2 on a windsor? 2x4 on a ybock!!

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  4. 63Compact

63Compact

If it counts the lump of pine sits on a 2x4 edelbrock manifold. Is that a factory t-bird mainfold if so where d ya get the valley cover, need to make one for my Dads y block 2x4 intake.

5. the add on ebay said ''58 police special'' it is a factory part and your right, you cant use the stock (or after market) valley cover i'll make one drilled and taped around the perimeter. 2x4 on a windsor very cooool

6. 63Compact

63Compact

Cool idea look foward to seeing the completed project.

7. ken1939

ken1939

My head hurts now.

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I say run it, a 302 can be dressed pretty well to look 'old'. I had to do it in one of my old builds,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the pre-dressing up stage. Keep in mind a motor can be changed, thats what I kept telling myself. It was a case of having a long term project and going to runs in my daily driver or having a Hot Rod that was slightly 'off'.
    I would rather have a driving car with compromises (That can ALWAYS be changed) than having a era perfect project for years sitting in my garage.

Doc.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the right valve covers and accessories on it, it should look fine as the engine in 63Compact's roadster does. That looks all about being a hot rod engine and not a look at the shiny new stuff I threw on it engine.

Think more on the lines of "if there actually was a 302 in the 50's how would guys have dressed it out rather than getting caught up in "oh shit what will guy think of me if I can't afford to spend next years mortgage payments on a period correct engine to please them".
    finned aluminum with no names, or chrome valve covers. Chrome or painted accessories and what not and it will look good. You just have to stay away from the billet, "fabricated" and Ford Motorsport" stuff.

And head to the hardware store and buy one of those small metal wheelbarrows to make your firewall to clear the engine when you set it back in there. But any ohv V8 that I know of will probably take pushing the firewall back where your feet want to be.

10. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

The first engine in the family was a 221-V8 in late 1961. In 1962 was the 260, followed by the 260 or 289 in late 1963 and 289 in 1964-(all were a 5 bolt block). For 1965, Ford in it's wisdom, changed the Bell pattern to be 6 bolt, screwing everyone, and changing the manual trans bell pattern also.......At least my memory and Motors manual say this.

I owned a 221 at one time. It was a 289/260 stroke with smaller pistons. No the block can not be bored to 260, as the 260 can not be bored to 289- They WILL overheat.

11. draggin breath

draggin breath

Every SBF I've seen in a stock wheelbase a suffers from a lack of footroom . Of course there's an A here that has a SBC with long accessories that the firewall is about back to the doorpost. I guess planning never hurts.

12. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

My lil 289 deressed up well. Find some cool vintage parts and go have fun....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. svo

svo

Here's another for ya. Far from period correct. I do plan on eventually running the top half of the hood

[​IMG]

14. movingviolation

movingviolation

In my area flatties are like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And i know the sbf can be very reliable, which is important imop. Yea it aint the prettiest, but it is still henry in a henry.......i got a sbc in my chev and think that keeping it all in the family is the way to go.

Your the one who has to be happy with it......

15. draggler

draggler

Mano oh man . Again the sbf camraderie is, let me say ,,just badass! svo i noticed your sedan at lsr in 09 ,,and boy did it catch my eye . As soon as i defeat my computer pic loading abilities between my schedule ill put up more pics! the a coupe and 32 sure are a sight to behold ! I totally agree!
    If channelled more funds up front ,or in the begining of my great parts gathering a flathead was well on its way to being the heart ,,,then i learned and viddied some ealry hemi elephants which now ,in my future would be my choice minus the hood sides of course . but as stated id rather have it up and running at this point rather than bench dreamin !
    I shall continue in my direction .
    Like so many others before and after me nothing good or great comes fast and or easy .except me after a long day ,,,haha, but staying on cue when you get strung out so to speak during the build .
    My 1st .
    I can tend to starting pullin tothe left more than i care to at times . Once again thanks to the hamb fam
    for the focus and support !

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  16. I like it! But lose that ugly ass distributor :D

17. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Nothing wrong with 302 except the decade. Make a 60's build instead.

Attached Files:

18. draggler

draggler

It really makes more sense than ever to go with the sixties style build .Naturally the perception truly lies in the mind of the person building and driving the vehicle per say.
    THE best part is knowing there are others !

19. Fordcoupe

Fordcoupe
    from Indiana

i know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me what the water pump is. that looks so much better than my oem ford cast one.