Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 Merc guys - what side trim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyAsylum, May 1, 2010.

1. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

So. To all you 49-51 Mercury guys (and ladies) who might have or are in the process of building a kustom, what side trim would ya use? That is if ya used any.

I've seen a lotta 52/53 Buick pieces used and I'm also wondering about 55-56 Buick Special trim (the style that curves all the way to the bottom of the wheel arch.)

Another question along the same lines...what would ya do to get trim for a 49 Caddy? I know the stock pieces are rare as hen's teeth, but is there a replacement?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. old beet

old beet

I have 51 Lincoln Lido trim on my 49, follows the curve on the door perfect!

3. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

If I could find it, 1957 Ford Fairlane with the gold inset like I had on my '51
    in 1958.:):D

4. '55 Pontiac works. Oddly enough stock side trim looks good too. Buick looks great, but it's so over used . How about '70 or '71 Riv ?

5. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Great ideas! Keep 'em coming!

6. Ive got some 49 Caddy stuff Ide let go, it is hard to find not rotted out since it chromed not stainless.

7. 'Mo

'Mo

'55 Chevy spear.

[​IMG]

Also seen here on the Buddy Alcorn Merc.
    (Edit: disregard the tacky lower piece.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  8. I always liked the stock side trim.

9. twochops

twochops

55 ford

Attached Files:

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whenever I see the Buddy Alcorn Merc, the first thing that jumps out at me is the side trim. It looks like it is competing with the rest of the car for attention.

I like belt line trim only...kinda lets the lines be lines with out anything to take away from them.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

11. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Stock beltline is a must and if you want more stock side trim, other than that gets into that bolt on busy custom territory.

12. mikes51

mikes51

I run the beltline trim also. But if I didn't, I would fillet in that area for a real smooth look. Bud Milliard had that smooth detail on a peach colored Merc.

13. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Belt line only on mine. I'd like to find 52 packard fender trim like gringo's car.

14. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

I prefer only the beltline also.

15. I kind of like the 55/56 buick trim also. The beltline and window openings should have some shiney stuff also. Rick

Attached Files:

16. Spooky

Spooky

What about using the trim from a '58 Chev Impala?

17. I like the '49 Caddy side trim, I don't know if I can bring myself to drill holes in my paintjob. :)

18. In my opinion the nicest merc ever built. No belt line trim, no window trim just a simple '49 Caddy spear. Perfect!

Attached Files:

19. Hmmm my favorite early-build Merc.

20. Can the '49 Caddy spear be attached with adhesive? /newb on trim

21. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Hi Chevyasylum !
    What are you building ? -49 -50 Merc early era or -51 Merc , traditional custom car era -49-53 or anything goes ?
    For the -49-50 Merc I like the -48 Buick Super / Roadmaster sidetrim like Sam Barris -49 Merc or the front fender stock trim moved to the door is a sure bet , a version on that theme is to find -49-51 Merc 4door rear fender trims and put them reversed on the doors togerher with stock rear fender trims .
    For a full length trim is the -50 Buick sweet with a little stainless cutting and welding to compensate for the longer Merc door .

For the -51 Merc is different deal I think , -52-53 Buick sidetrims are somewhat over used on -49-51 Merc but if done right looks dynamite , I think that sidetrim needs the Merc line on the door removed to look good and possibly even used with the full rocker trim that is so hard to find !
    Then that is like earlier suggested the late -51 Lincoln Lido (Merc body Lincoln) side trim that Gene Winfield used on his -50-51 Merc . first he had them on the Lincoln way following the Merc line when the car was a
    -50 Merc , later when he added the -51 Mercury rear fenders , he flipped the trims to mirror the Merc line and twotoned the car , very neat . I bin looking for these trims for decades and now I think I can cut a weld together a set from bit of a 4door set and separate trims , this got to be the hardest custom parts I have ever tried to find so not the easiest route ...............
    Wolf

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Stock or 53-54 packard.If I remembered right on the years.

23. I bought some '49 Caddy trim from Ether, might use it over the winter.

24. moparjack44

moparjack44

Can you guess what is the side trim on this '49 Merc?

[​IMG]

25. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Beltline only on mine, looks damn clean and doesn't take away from one of the most beautiful body lines of all time!

26. AdeQ8Styl

AdeQ8Styl
    from TEXAS!

Is there a thread or info about this car posted anywhere else? I'd perhaps like to run similar wheels on my Merc but not sure what they are. As for the side trim, my extremely uneducated guess would be something GM, maybe chopped up and flipped 57 Chevy? I dig it.

27. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Looks like '58 Ford or Edsel to me....

28. thesupersized

thesupersized

i would say the top piece is the stock mercury trim, and the lower piece is from a 59 edsel.

29. moparjack44

moparjack44

Top trim is stock 49 Merc, the lower trim is 59 Dodge Phoenix. Dodge Phoenix rare car, and trim has been on this Merc since early 1960. The wheels are Zenith true spokes. Car has 59 Caddy tail lights, since 1959. His Dad bought the car in 1955, they built it together, gave it to his son (current owner) in 1959. Daily driver during High School. Roll pans etc, are lead (not bondo). It is a true Lead Sled.
    The emblem in the lower portion of the trim is a Pontiac Indian Head he made himself from a solid piece of aluminum, way before billet. The engine is a Pontiac with 6 Strombergs. Original Strombergs, not the new reproductions. The car is a driver, not a trailer queen.
    Jack

30. williebill

williebill

Thanks for posting the pic and the story..I'll forgive him the Caddy taillights,since they've been on there since '59..I like it,but haven't ever seen it before..does he take it out much?