Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Whatshisnames imput on the salt car project he tried to start a few years ago is good imput. I think we could solve some of the glory hogging if we just make it a fun street car. No one would be going for a record. Also, more people could enjoy it and it would travel more. I like the rental car idea

2. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yes, I'm starting to understand that. Still it's no crime being naive. If people like to push their way into a crowd just to throw shit at someone for trying to do a good (and completely ****ing harmless) thing then they have larger problems than me or this coupe.

I think some of these haters need to be man enough to say what's really upsetting them about me giving an almost destroyed coupe to a group of enthusiasts to fix up and use to promote the hobby but no, using sarcastic childish comments to try to impress themselves is their way of appearing clever. A misreable and comedic failure.

I know what the real problem is here, others have told me what the "real" problem is but I wonder if anyone will be man enough to actually come out and say it.

3. Probably a terminal case of 'Coupe Envy' . . . poor miserable affliction . . . normally not curable :rolleyes:

4. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gents, Many posts back I offered what I could. There are a lot of good people supporting this idea. I had and have nothing to gain when I offered parts towards this group build. I am nowhere near this coupe or the people that would build it. I just believe in the club concept and these same negative people would be the reason a club folded. I have no coupe envy I own 34, 35, and 46 Ford coupes and it has taken me forever to collect them and now I am building them so I thought I would offer some of the pieces I could spare for the club.(H.A.M.B.)
    eD COUPE33

5. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I like this idea in general. The idea of a HAMB Coupe is great but the thought of it "changing" hands and this "everyone can drive it" attitude is the Achilles heel. The only way something of this magnitude can be appreciated by anyone that loves all things HAMB is that if it belongs to NO ONE (or is that "Knowone"). The idea of everybody owning it is as impossible as reducing it down to scale. If two absolute best friends own a car, build it, and try to divide ownership, not only does the relationship suffer, but the car loses ALL meaning of why it was built. I'm even pretty sure there was an Arin Cee based on this idea.

The only way this can materialize is if everyone gives all of self and expects nothing in return...that even includes possibly never seeing the car in their neck of the woods. That is the beauty of HAMB events. If you don't attend, chances are you won't or can't get HAMB swag specific to the event. How many folks have Cinematic shirts? HAMB drag shirts? HRR shirts? But that's the thing. When it is made available to everybody, how many show up? How many folks actually made it to the Drags? How many HAMBers make it out to the salt? Exactly. "Earl in Timbuktu" may want to contribute his shop and equipment and even parts, but how feasible is it when someone tells him it WON'T be HIS car?

The only way for this to really grow legs is if it done and everyone chips in without worry of end purpose so long as there is some kind of "contract" preventing wrong doing. Then if this build is to be dedicated to the HAMB, ownership is transferred to Ryan. Yes, donated. The HAMB is his and he lets us experience it's awesomeness.

Just my 2 cents.

6. I would fly over to handle all the line work and sign writing needs! It would be great fun. - Ryan Ford

7. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Maybe a bunch of kiwis and Aussies should invade the US and get this shit in action. Wonder if we can talk Qantas into sponsoring us... :) Dreams are free huh?

8. good idea! Any one work for the airlines?

9. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

I love the idea and wish you the best of luck. I am alittle far away in California and have very little room in my garage due to my own projects, but keep me in the loop so I can help out if I can.
    If the project goes down the road of a salt flat car, it would be an excellent excuse to go to Bonniville or El Mirage and watch and maybe help crew.

10. RichG

RichG

Jealousy.

11. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

What is the "real" problem? I don't get it.

12. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Maybe it's the car. From what I gather, it's changed hands quite a bit. I think it may have been a "shoddy" build in it's previous life. No matter. It's only metal and metal can be fixed.

Maybe it's because it's in OZ? Or is it still here? No matter there, either. Folks in OZ know how to build a righteous rig just as much as folks here.

I'm for the build. I just think it needs to get moving forward regardless of Ryan's input. If he endorsses it, he'll sound off. You gotta realize that even a tsunami starts out as a ripple. Let the people decide if this wave is worth riding, or if we should all look for shelter. Some sound like they're ready to drop in, others have already headed for higher ground.

Get this thing built so the rest of the people can see just how fun it is to ride a wave this huge!

13. flat34pu

flat34pu

:D i dont have any parts for this build, but if it dose get going i will put in $100. for materials or gas or what ever the shop would need.
    rich

14. skullhat

skullhat

i believe an earlier post says its here in the states, the owner never had it
    shipped to oz

skull

15. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks for your input Brian (and everyone else).

I know this thread is quite large now and I wouldn't expect anyone to have read it all but I think we all agreed the "anyone can drive this" isn't going to work in this century. I suggested that maybe people could sit in it, start it up, take a ride as a passenger, help work on the car...etc Driving duties will need to be discussed and worked on. Maybe via lottery <-- just a suggestion.

The car is and will (probably) remain in the US. It's in Colorado at the moment waiting for us to make a decision. Thanks to all who have offerred to go and get it and store it for us while we decide what to do with it.

As far as Ryan is concerned; I think we are stuck. It seems to be the only way to solve the "ownership" dilema but I'm sure none of us want to burden him with ANY hassles or exposure to unmanageable levels of risk. I'm used to solving big problems and the best way through is ALWAYS the simplest.

I'm sure we haven't explored all the possibilities and that a creative way through this is still out there. To be honest I'm guessing Ryan's silence is probably an answer in itself. He doesn't want to say "no" to us after all this lead up but what if he doesn't want to say yes?

Ryan, if you're reading this. We are asking a huge thing of you and it's OK to say no.

Hey you guys from Oz, I want to fly over and work on it as well (presuming this gets legs), maybe we can make an article and trip out of it. I'm especially interested in the sheet-metal phase of the job. Plus I want to see if I can get back as often as possible to see it in action or help re-dress it from time to time.

I'm in awe of members who suggested they can bring this old girl back to life. I'd like to see that - especially after watching David Gardiner's "Learn The Art Of Traditional Sheet Metalwork". I want to bang on this body and have at least one of my welds visible somewhere on the car.

I think if we could do that it would epitomise the skills and attitudes of the H.A.M.B which is - after all - what I am trying to capture. But this needs to be fun. I know there is a serious side but this is a huge idea and obviously some of you are shocked that anyone would donate their coupe (part of the real problem) to anyone.

It may also seem disrespectful of those who are "broke" to spend money this way (another part of the problem). Personally I've been broke many many times but lately my life has taken a nice turn (I'm not rich but I am free - that's why you see me here during our days all the time) and I've kicked a few goals (google my name if you're curious - I teach stock market trading to normal people - nothing very special or car based) and I just want to give something back to you all for helping me get my head straight with regards to what's "really" cool about old cars and old ways.

I will declare up front before we get started that if we choose to allow non-automotive related sponsors my company will step right up with bucks for advertising space but I'm not doing this for any other reason than to give something back to a community that welcomed me in as a new guy not too long ago (which is probably also part of the real problem - "who is this new guy foreigner who thinks he can come in here and tell US(!) how to build a car or what WE should be doing with our hobby?").

Again I want to remind you all that I read and consider every reply and I thank everyone for their input - especially the guys with some experience in something like this so they can guide us as to where other similar projects have collapsed or failed. This is the type of input that really makes us think. If this is going to fail let it be now before it becomes an item and reason for division. I'll bring the coupe home, chop of it's roof and make a beat up roadster out of it, slap a "Thanks H.A.M.B." on it and be done with the whole thing.

16. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Hey Bill,

I kinda gathered the result of the "everyone drives" thing. I've tried to keep up with this as much as possible. It's an exciting dilema to have as a community, to think, one guy is offering a car and there are tons of folks dying to help. This should be a lot easier to lift than it feels.

I say we (as if I'm far more involved in this:p) devote the entire month of May for designers/artists/photoshop geniuses to come up with a design or look. Keep in mind this is to be a culmination of traditional hot rodding, so it can't be a GG easter egg nor can it be a Ra....rrr....ra...you know. All the designs could be placed in a Sticky.

Then we devote the month of June to solely voting on the top 5-15 designs (depending on how many we get...I said we again:p). At the end of June we have our top selections and can (A) keep the design that is unanimous or (B) be a mix of the top 5-15. The judging would be done in a seperate Sticky.

Then the building and donating could go on as needed. Whether that be in CO or anywhere. We all know shop/equipment/supplies etc. will have to be donated and since the final design would be done by a vote, no one idea is greater. This can still happen, but I suggest we decide if this is a route to take. If it is, we need to get Ryan onboard so it can be at the top of the first page and have him behind it...then we would all know it can happen.

17. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Sounds like a plan but I would cut those months into fortnights or even weeks. I have the time, skill, energy and resources to monitor or sub admin the forum threads on this project if you'll have me.

In the meantime the body needs to be fixed. That's going to take some while and will have not much impact on the final design because if we fix this up a chopped coupe will fit all styles. The problem is no one should touch the car until they know for sure they are doing it for the members and not an individual. Once we know we all own the car in spirit and that no one will profit from this build - especially not me! I'll be paid in full just to be the guy who started this whole thing - totally paid in full on my end.

No Street rods or rodent cars - that's a given. The guidelines are fairly tight around here as to what's cool and I would be very surprised if this didn't end up being the coolest coupe. I think the level of workmanship will be very high because no one wants to be known for the inferior work they did on this infamous coupe.

18. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I only gave full months because I know some folks maybe hit the site here and there...the addiction varies person to person:D. Plus giving someone a month to design a car would be a decent time for them to research what they like.

19. 55chevr

55chevr

Dont take offense ... just read some of the posts are and you have to laugh ... this is going to take a lot of work to get going ... tough enough to do your own car but sharing ideas / labor / plus a vision for a completed project that will take a year with a committee is impossible .... now there are people talking about Bonneville ... the safety equipment for a Bonneville car will cost 4K ... you need commitments not more ideas ... Joe

20. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Oh, ok, yeah fair enough. I see your point.

I suppose some things will take longer and some will be quicker. I suppose various lengths of time for various stages can be expected. I'm just mindful of maintaining momentum which I think will be crucial to getting this car built fast.

Well, I just threw in a 34 coupe worth more than the safety equipment will cost so I'm sure others will pitch in (yes, even cash) and what can be built will be built not bought. Fire extinguishers...etc obviously can't be made (though I'd have to check the Tech Week archives to be sure...lol) but maybe they can be donated. Safety equipment is a cost on all cars.

As far as how long this might take I actually think it can be built much faster by a committee (of intelligent people) and members (with a positive attitude) than having to save up by going to work and building it slowly yourself. Here we have a line up of volunteers and people willing to help. I think this can be done in double quick time. Not saying it should be or that speed (in this context) is even desirable but if we put our minds to it we can do incredible, extraordinary and astonishing things in blinding speed with quality and craftsmanship.

I've had PMs offering to finish this car in a week. These members have already asked around and got a passé together who are probably already wearing their safety glasses and waiting for the coupe to be delivered.

Imagine if we had all the materials and workshop space and correct tools and skill all arriving on one weekend. How much do you think could we accomplish in 48 hours? It'd be a lot. Make that a few months of serious weekend work by volunteers and I see this being complete in record time. That said I'm not sure we're in that much of a hurry. Part of the enjoyment of this project/concept/build will be in the planning and discussing. For many members that will be the only way they can participate (with ideas and comments and feedback) so while not wanting to get bogged down I think the discussion will be an important part of how this coupe will give back to this community.

Very few endeavors in this world are physically impossible. Most blockages are in people's minds and attitudes. Accept that what you want to do is totally possible and it almost completes itself.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  21. And here I was thinking that it was erectile dysfunction...

I guess the real question is: how do we a) protect Ryan and/or jalopyjournal.com and its parent organization from liability, and b) ensure that whoever the owner of said vehicle is will have to act in accordance with a group consensus as posted on this forum?

Seems to me that there should be a way that a lawyer could draw something up, so that a party (or parties) would be "in charge" of the legal entity owning this car, but be legally required to do what they're told by the members.

Basically, "you have to do what you're told, or you'll be sued into next week" written in legaleze.

Kind of like a contract to be the executor of a will. But the will isn't written by one dead guy, but thousands of living ones.

Once we get this problem solved, then we can move on to actually deciding what we want to do with the car.

BTW, I'm working for less than my monthly expenses (for the ungrateful fuckers at O'Reilly who won't even let me take the breaks I'm supposed to get by state law), so it's not easy for me to squeeze out any $$$ to donate, but I'd like to give something; even if it's just a half box of sandpaper or something.

-Bill (the one in Mountlake Terrace)

22. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

My 2 cents-

On the racetrack idea Ryan stepped back and let it run its course without his input.

The last time I read about a proposal to build him a car, he said thanks but the usual suspects will wind up doing the heavy lifting and he didn't want that.

My few ideas-

KISS, build a drag car

give it to Ryan at the hamb drags, let him decide what to do with it

the project needs a director, like a movie, so the buck stops somewhere. There needs to be a leader.

haters gonna hate no matter what

23. RichG

RichG

Isn't that the same thing really?

I'm tired of coming on here day after day and seeing people tearing down other peoples builds. I've been accused of being an asshole for ripping into those who would shit on other peoples rides and ideas, and honestly, I'm proud of that. I'd rather be an asshole than a hater. My understanding of the Hamb1.0 was that it was a place where like minded hotrodders came and supported each other, gave suggestions and assistance to those who needed it, and guidance to those who didn't understand the concept of traditional hot rods. I unfortunately missed out on this and regret it everyday.

I'm tired of these weak sisters who come along and shit on ideas. Helpful criticism is one thing, flat out ignorant "that'll never work" bullshit is just that: bullshit. Calling a bad build or a rat rod out is a good thing, IF it comes with the advice to correct the deviations. Those that take the advice and grow from it will respect and honor the culture more, leading them towards the goal.

I don't have much to my name, I've been crippled up for two years now, I'm losing my home, I have to move my autistic son from the only home he's ever known. My car isn't going to get built any time in the near future. I'm selling parts and tools just to get across the state to take care of my family. You don't see me shitting on this idea or any others, do you? My life is fucked right now, but you know what? My life's been fucked before, a true hoodlum and survivor gets off his ass and keeps on keepin' on. He doesn't whine, he doesn't bitch, and he sure as hell doesn't shit on other peoples concepts to make himself feel better.

Just because I can't get what I want right now doesn't mean I can't help someone else succeed in their endeavors. That's my whole point: Jealousy. "I can't have it so you shouldn't" That kind of logic is weak and flawed to the core, it's a social commentary on who people are today. They can't afford and won't dig in to get what they want so they whine. Fuck them. Get off your asses and make it happen if you truly want it, and you want to know why? Because that's TRADITIONAL!

If you have constructive criticism, bring it on. We learn from others experiences. Share your knowledge. Share your love for this thing of ours. That's the only way that people like me will ever learn what this is all about. Maybe, just maybe, if the old Hambers come back and start doing that then these weak sisters will realize they don't belong here, and they'll head back to from where ever they came from, leaving the rest to learn and share.

Sorry for the rant, back to your regularly scheduled program:

24. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I hate to be a nay-sayer but I think there will be too many opinions to actually get this off the ground. However it is a cool idea with good intentions.

If it does happen, we will donate a stainless engine fastener kit.

25. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

What a collection of pros and cons!! Sorta reminds me of one of my employees back in the old days. He was always grumbling about something....evertything. The most negative person I ever met. One day another employee bought a lottery ticket. Grumpy piped in with, "If I won those millions then I'd have to pay a shitload in taxes and I would have all kinds of new asshole bloodsucking friends. Not worth it".
    WOW!! He was not a very pleasant person. I had to let him go. He was tearing everybody down....including customers.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lol, not quite, it was far more brutal to the newbies and anyone who went O/T. This is a much kinder and gentler HAMB.

I'll louver whatever if this thing get's off the ground. But I'm not holding my breath. To many cooks.

27. RichG

RichG

I grew up literally riding in a truck and working in the woods with jippo loggers, my version of "guidance" might be construed by some as "brutal". The best lessons are the ones learned hardest, just my opinion.

... and thanks for offering to contribute to this build. My only vested interest is in seeing it come alive on these pages, nothing more.

28. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

This is kinda my point. This thing needs to move w/out the HAMB name on it. Then we'll be sure it can happen with it. See what I mean? Generosity shouldn't come with the name, though I know having the HAMB stamp on it would put a ton of minds at ease.

I know how to do various things, all of which well, none of which perfect. I would be willing to help out, but will kindly step aside if someone more qualified would rather do whatever. If y'all ever get to using Chromeplater Josh, I could go over there and help him polish. He's just down the road and I know he'd love the help.:D

29. Electrodude - well put. Sorry for your personal hardships, I hope there's brighter days ahead for you. Positive attitudes are what can and will make this work. The H.A.M.B. coupe won't come to life on a negative wave, there's enough folks on board with the idea to make it happen.

30. KCsledz

KCsledz

Ya know what? i think this is a great idea. Get the idea to one train of thought and see who will help.

I can't do much to get this project going but I WILL DONATE one of my shift knobs I just finished once it it ready to run. See them here: http://defiancespeedshop.com/?p=203

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.