Register now to get rid of these ads!

My last Challenge. what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyhood, Jan 24, 2010.

1. rustyhood

rustyhood

I finally got around to removing and remaking the panel to replace the spare tire indent on the pass. side.[​IMG].........[​IMG].
    This panel is completely welded in. I will be finishing all the welds next. More pics as I progress.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. rustyhood

rustyhood

I made alot of progress today, I did my relief cuts for the drivers side rear.[​IMG] and i welded and grinded that section.[​IMG]

I also kept wondering about the front end. So I cut out both sides of the hood and that was the look I was looking for.[​IMG].....[​IMG]

I also worked on the dash. I recessed the corner tabs to let the glove box sit flush.
    [​IMG]. So all in all It was a productive day. I will post more pics of my progress.

3. DMFB

DMFB

I'm diggin it man! Great job on the side patches, although that is a walk in the park compared to all of the other things you have conquered thus far.

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking great !! You should keep track of how much Mig wire you use...between the 2 of us I bet we will use at least 50 lbs :D:D:D Thats part of the fun of makin somethin from nothing eh!!

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think it would look cool if you could somehow V that grill back (or try a diffrent grill)to match the contour of the hood then bring it back out to the headlight to make the headlights look to stick out or protrude (spelling and/or meaning???) more,but thats just me........lookin good, Looks like you have the skill to do whatever you want.
    [​IMG]

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Something like these, kind of, sort of, maybe??? or maybe not:confused:

Attached Files:

7. rustyhood

rustyhood

Thanks guys, koolkemp I just started on my 3rd 1lb roll of wire. It seems to go quick, and yes it's awesome to watch our rust buckets come back to life.
    low budget I like the way you think, the grill idea is a sure way to go. This front end is rough enough in the grill area, so your idea may do the trick.
    I tripped over a rear fender I had on the floor Tuesday night and wrenched my back.
    I have been trying to regain my walking abilities. Hopefully I can get back at the work I have been doin on the panel. This was a bad one. I'll post pics of what I did while sitting in a chair. Working like that sucks!

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

A sore back only gets worse if you sit around waiting for it to feel better...try to keep doin stuff and moving around , at least it works for my worn out body!

9. rustyhood

rustyhood

I couldn't agree more, I have been moving around carefully. Its a slow process but Im making progress. I will be back to full throttle soon. I m going to try and clean off my work bench today. 1 step at a time.

10. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

Hey Dan, I STILL haven't gotten a chance to come out and see ya, spring time and my work load just went nuts, I will though...., You are kickin' some butt, hell I hope I get there before you paint it. Take care, Dave

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

so true, i learned that the hard way. Fortunately it was on the old glass have some replacements. Oh well, live and learn.

12. rustyhood

rustyhood

Dave Im glad to hear business is cranking! But if you are shooting over for a visit, it has to be soon. Im moving to Ohio last weekend in May.
    1959 Nomad yes sir I will for sure be protecting my new glass.
    Thanks for the posts guys.

13. rustyhood

rustyhood

Heres my last update on the panel. Here is a side profile after I chopped the top 4'' and shrtened the body 10''.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Here is the passenger side after I removed and welded in the tire indent replacement panel.
    [​IMG]
    Heres a front stance look with the glass.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a rear view.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the dash with the cluster in and the glove box door mounted.
    [​IMG] [​IMG].
    Here is a pic of me saying good bye to my panel.
    [​IMG]
    I sold it to a guy from indiana who is a hamb member named panel48tk.
    he will be finishing the rest and post it on a build thread. I bought a Bike and I will look for another project. But I thank each of you for your following this crazy idea I turned into a reality. It was alot of fun for me and I will do another project after I get moved. So now this build will fade away, but I will always see what I did from saving this panel from the crusher.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  14. rustyhood

rustyhood

Here she is on the trailer.[​IMG]
    ..................[​IMG][​IMG]
    ..................................[​IMG].

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Aww bummer man :( I was lookin forward to you picking up the build again after your move! You will have to find an equally unsavable rust bucket to save after you get moved eh!

16. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Look me up Dan whenever you get settled back in.......I may have another project for you by then!!!! It was for sure coming along QUICKLY and NICELY....I know you didnt sell it for what you gave for it...LOL

17. rustyhood

rustyhood

koolkemp I hear you buddy, I actually took the panel along ways. I can only afford to get what others dont want to fool with. So what will the next project be? I have to wait and see what ratrodder has after I get set back up! LOL.

Steve, I did most of what I said I would do to the panel, I had a blast and impressed the heck out of the non believer neighbors that watched that panel change weekly. LOL
    I just need something managable in my new garage.
    Keep me posted on what you may have.
    I have a car dolly and access to a car trailer.
    I really thank you guys for your posts through out this thread. I am also looking forward to see what the new owner does to the panel, he said he would start a build thread where I left off.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Congrats on the sell, if thats what you wanted to do,just hope you arent too sick when panel48trk gets it finished.
    I will be looking forward to seeing what he does to it, as well as what you get next;)

19. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

bummer you sold off the panel. you sure did alot of nice work to it. hope to see a new project coming to life from ya once you settled in

20. rustyhood

rustyhood

low budget, I wont get sick, maybe a little...lol I know what he said he wants to do with it and he restores and builds. I seen some photos of his work and he's good. I will be tickled to see it finished. Mainly because it didn't see the crusher, but got revived. Im actually excited to get my shop set up and get going on the next challenge. Thanks for all your help buddy.

pugs, thanks for the compliment. I hope it wont be to long before I find my new project. Since I own the property where Im moving to, I should be able to go from start to finish. I sure had fun getting that panel as far as I did. The new owner is talking about slamming it and a few other great ideas. I will be looking forward to see him finishing it. As I stated earlier, I thank all you guys for supporting this build when it looked very dim at the beginning. I will be watching the builds you guys are trucking on or starting and doing amazing work I might add. rustyhood "Dan"

21. rustyhood

rustyhood

I went back and corrected the buyers hamb handle. panel48tk.

22. spinalremains

spinalremains

i hope panel48tk does as good a job on his build thread as you did...i'll miss this one. cheers!

23. rustyhood

rustyhood

Thanks spinalremains for that compliment. I hope he finishes it to. I would really like to see how the old panel turns out.

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

This thing is on a HAMB Relay. Ha.

25. rustyhood

rustyhood

Wicked50coupe, this thing should be on a relay! haha.

26. Thinking your last challenge should be actually finish what you started.:D

27. rustyhood

rustyhood

I couldn't agree with you more, but other challenges came up that caused the sale. Like moving out of state. I will have another one that I hope when I start I can finish. I sure had fun turning this panel into a sedan delivery though. I will be looking for another rust bucket to bring back to life by next winter.:p:D

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hey man, seeing this recent post, I guess means you have gotten somewhat settled back in?
    Im still lookin forward to see what you get next.;)

29. rustyhood

rustyhood

Jeff, almost moved. The garage and a few items in the home is all thats left. I have the garage about 80% ready to go. Moving out of state is a hassle. I get on here reading threads and watching build progress and I seen where milwscruffy did a post and thought I would answer him.
    I hope to have my new garage set up and start looking for my next project soon.:D

Last edited: May 19, 2010