Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 19?? Dodge? Made it home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pstreet, Dec 6, 2009.

1. FWIW, if it is a Mopar it will have either a tag on the right front door hinge post with a serial number, or most likely will have two holes where the tag used to be attached. About a foot or so up from the bottom. At least, if it's a 30-31, I forget what year they started putting a tag there.

2. noboD

noboD

BobPer, excellant explanation. Try telling someone this is a deluxe Standard Six with a V8 and see what kind of dumb looks you get.

3. pstreet

pstreet

I can put you in touch with a guy that might have what you are looking for.

The dents in the drivers side doors and rippling on the drivers side roof were there when i picked it up. Boy would i have been pissed if i were responsible for them.

Man i love this site. Thanks for the great info.

Once i get the passenger door open i hope by some slim chance its there. Im starting to worry about getting this thing registered.

4. Actually, Mopar for several years from '27-'32 would introduce the current year model in like June, and sell it as the next year's model with minor changes if anything, after Dec. 31st.

I looked at my book and it says for '29 serial numbers were located "on a plate on the toe board near the steering column; also stamped on the right front frame, below the fender." Well, that's what it says for '27-8 Senior Six - the next few years say "serial numbers in the same locations" one of the things I hate about these Krause books - someone was lazy typing so not only do I have to flip back several years to find serial locations, it's not always clear where they are. 27-8 there was a Four and for that it says "same locations" again. For those, if I go back apparently they're on the toe board on either side and on the crossmember under the floorboard. The next few years say "same locations" but don't make it clear what year or model they're the "same" as.

Anyways, 1929 Dodge serial numbers begin DA1 and end DA83714 - DA87315 to DA123481 are 1930 models. I'd love to have an early production one just to see the look on the DMV clerk's face when I show up with like a five character serial number.

5. pstreet

pstreet

Ill have to scour this thing in the daylight.

Would the 13265 stamping on the upper portion of the passenger side firewall mean anything, as it doesn't have the DA prefix?

6. Hey Brandy you ever gonna do anything with that POS or you just gonna keep posting pics of the day it fell off the trailer!!!!!!!!!LMAOROTF
    Fudgie

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

can someone clarify this one? i recognize the instrument hole in the middle of the dash, my dad has a 28 with original paperwork and it's listed as Chrysler, they were supposed to have been bought out by Walter P Chrysler in 28. I recognize a lot of things on there.

8. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

this is a great thread i'm very interested in this one, is your body steel over wood?

9. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Fudge Packer!!

That car isn't mine, it went to Mac, and then off to *duh* Erik, in the lesbian shoes.

10. pstreet

pstreet

Yes it is. Lucky for me 98 percent of the pieces are still there to copy.

11. pstreet

pstreet

Again, thank you RustyNewYorker for the info.

I couldn't wait until it was sunny so i went outside with a flashlight and looked on top of the passenger forward frame rail and saw this number which only raises more questions, U-82545

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'm going to watch this one, he got his 28 complete, he had a terrible time finding anything for it, this was before the net, so he made it into a hot rod, All the pieces went to chrysler restorers so nothing was wasted, he had to stop driving it, because the body was flexing, so it's parked in his special building waiting to be fixed. I will most likely be the one who fixes this, so i'll be watching your project.

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here's a Chrysler timeline some people say they started in 24 some say they started in 28, can someone clarify? they were supposed to have bought the dodge brothers in 28, did they maintain the dodge name or did they all become Chryslers? http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10172953

14. pstreet

pstreet

The structure will more than likely be my first undertaking after i get it in the garage. If you would like ill snap some pictures of the structure when i get a chance.

15. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

great pictures i like the way you towed that thing home! haha good luck with your new project!!

16. if the U was a J, the serial would be correct for an early '29 Dodge. 1929-1930 Plymouth engine numbers do begin with a U, however, and that number falls into the 1929 production. This book shows them using the "Fedco" ID for serials that year - an early attempt at a universal VIN for cars that only lasted a short time. 1930 Plymouth car serial numbers are all numeric.

17. pstreet

pstreet

It could be a J, ill have to break out the toothbrush tomorrow and try to brush the rust back a bit.
    From what i just read on another site, it said that a copy of the engine number was stamped on the frame rail. Also said that the body itself would have a different ID. So could this in theory be Plymouth frame #U-82545 with Dodge body #13265?

18. noboD

noboD

RustyNewYorker, the DA serial numbers are only for DA model cars. The Standard Six model number should be from J-42,687 {july 1 build} to J-75519 { Dec31 build} for a '29, which is what we think this is. All DBs are supposed to have a serial number tag attached to the right floor board at least until '29 that I know of. The early DBs, like '15, had the serial number stamped under the passenger seat on the cross member. Later they stamped the frame by the right front shackle. The number stamped on the firewall is a body number, doesn't do much good for ID. Chrysler bought DB in 1928, were still called DBs until '38 when they became just Dodge.

19. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Nice story! Looks way better than what I started with for a for a project I built about 8 years ago!

Attached Files:

20. Yeah, like I said this book's serial number info is poorly described, it's a little confusing as to what goes to what.

21. pstreet

pstreet

Found some time after work over a few days to get a temporary garage wall/door up. It should hold just fine until the whopping month of rain we receive each year passes, and i can put up something permanent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the car is in the garage i've begun cleaning it up. A flat blade screwdriver and a shop vac took care of most of the caked in dirt and brush in the door panels and other tight areas.

[​IMG]

The drivers side rear door was a bit worse off than i thought, oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive just started in on stripping the surface rust and finding all the hidden dings and dents. I was surprised when i went to remove the doors, the bolts came out like they were just put in there yesterday. Long ways to go still, but my DA is working great, and i have a stockpile of 80 grit disks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. igby

igby

any more work done?

23. pstreet

pstreet

Haven't had a lot of time lately with the holidays and work.
    I did find some time to get about 85 percent of the structural wood out though.

Most of it is in pretty good shape to make patterns from. Even the pieces that have been a bit rotted, ive been lucky enough to have the other sides copy still intact. I plan to get started on rebuilding the structure and a lot of body hammering/patching come January.

[​IMG]

24. pstreet-

Again, great find! If you're not going to use the cowl trim, the Dodge Club guys would be very interested- that trim is pretty hard to find...

just don't mention that you're building a hot rod...

25. pstreet

pstreet

Ha, ive just realized after buying this car, that parts are few and far.

I know there are parts i wont be using, and they will definitely be going into a restorers hands. Not sure exactly whats going to stay and go at this point, but whatever goes im going to try my best to remove with surgical precision.

26. Stay in touch with noboD- he's a great HAMBer and also a DB Club member (a rare breed).

27. pstreet

pstreet

Well its been a while since i've posted an update.
    Been spending the past few months doing my research. Trying to see just exactly what i want this to be and i think i have a pretty good idea now.

A couple months back i scored a drivers front door from a fellow hamber here in the classifieds. Its in much better shape than the taco'd door i got with the car. Under a light coat of surface rust and dirt it really shines. Luckily for me the original door has the few pieces i need to make this door perfect.

[​IMG]

A couple of weeks ago i found my 'motor-vation'. Again from a fellow hamber. It's a 1954 chrysler 331 hemi with the short bell housing. it was said to have been rebuilt about 8 years ago, and has sat in a garage since then.
    It came complete from carb to pan.

Ive done a light tear down of the engine and everything seems to look good so far. I haven't taken the heads off yet, but im hoping everything else is in good shape too. Ive also found a local willys guy that deals in early hemi parts as well. Aside from cleaning it out and making sure its good to run, i don't plan on doing much to it except a new intake manifold and valley cover for now. Cant wait to hear this thing fire up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Instead of starting on the body like i had planned, i think ill get the rolling chassis built first. I figure i might as well get the part i understand less about done first. After some thinking, i decided that ill put a transverse leaf setup on the front replacing the parallel leafs. The front will run hairpins to a 4" dropped axle.
    For the rear i'm leaning towards ladder bars but i'm not positive yet.
    The frame will get a small step in the rear and possibly under the cowl, but well see.

The body for now, i'm thinking a four inch channel all around. Also if space permits, id also like to take 1.5-2" off of the top.

28. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

Hey pstreet, Your project is looking good, I haven't had the time to work on mine at all, sold the frame I had to a customer to use on a car I'm building for him, keep posting, it's good to see somebody with the exact same body style as mine. The pickup conversion on mine was poorly done by the previous owner...I'm going to cut it off and redo it...BTW.. I need a passenger side garnish molding if you have an extra or know of someone that does. Thanks, Dave

29. pstreet

pstreet

Thanks Dave, its going slow, but hell there's no time limit.

I really dig the look of the pickup conversions. I like it when they are left as extended cabs keeping the rearmost side windows.

Funny you should ask about the moldings, I have both of the passenger side pieces but am missing the driver sides. Good luck with your hunt, ill let you know if i see anything.

30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool update on your car i really dig the hemi power plant , finding a better door was a good thing , i will have to watch for more updates