Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Most Influential Customs of the past 15 years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McPhail, Mar 22, 2010.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

How can we forget the Cole Foster built '54 Chevy for Mike Ness? That car renewed interest in the 53-54s and introduced many people to custom cars that otherwise wouldn't have heard the gospel. Say what you want about Mike and the "rockstar with torque wrenches" or whatever, but he's been a great ambassador for our hobby

2. Amoros

Amoros

If he's lost interest, I'd love to have it. If I had the money that is. Beautiful car.

3. hunter1111

hunter1111

X2. i couldnt agree more.

4. Better do your homework on the original builder of J.V's ford. You need to see a pic of the way the car looked when "J.V." drove his light purple chevy to burbank to buy the kustom 54. You will be very suprised when you see the picture.

5. Where woud we find the photos?

6. I can get em ,but I dont know how to post them up here on the hamb,they are not from a digital camera.I am going to talk to a guy that I know so he can scan them and maybe post them for me.I will try to get a hold of him this afternoon. Wait till you see these :)

7. Shawn M

Shawn M

You have certainly piqued my curiosity!

8. You will love these pics , believe me :D

9. Rikster

Rikster

Below is a photo when the car was started at Gary Howard's shop.

As far as I understand Jimmy bought the car as a mild custom from Ziggy. Who had done the initial customizing. And Jimmy brought the car to Gary Howard to fine tune the work to his usual standards. Many more neat little details where added to an already nice mild custom. Perhaps I'm wrong.. but this is the story I heard.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  10. I can not wait to see the pics Jeffsled!

11. Im working on getting the pictures today. Rik and others need to see the pictures of what the car looked like as Jimmy bought it and THEN you can really judge for yourself of how much " fine tuning" really happened. Dont think this car was started at this shop.

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

anything by Oz welch floats my boat personally his 63 t-bird (pictured) just might influence me to go further in debt and buy a local 62 t-bird to customize
    [​IMG]

13. Wicked50

Wicked50

It was actually built by Oz

14. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

how bout weesners shoebox?

15. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

GREAT pics to this thread ~

16. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

that's right curt!! Very few people take the time to think for each step, they just start cutting and sometimes it works and sometimes it don't but for "things not cutting edge" take a look at troys 36 he built!! Cutting edge right there!! Besides back 60 years ago, they only had a hammer and a torch!!
    I guess what i am saying is curt thought his car out well and he got that in return, and its cutting edge cause he thought of it!! And it is seen all over the planet!!

Besides it's called kustomizing!!! It's all cutting edge!!

17. slammed

slammed

Anything from Oz Custom's. And remember ChopRods?

18. slammed

slammed

Bingo! That's another cat that kept the iron coming.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. Anyone have more to add?

20. Racewriter

Racewriter

I can't believe that McPhail started the thread and nobody has mentioned his '60 Fairlane. I've seen the car at half a dozen shows so far, and it just blows me away every time with its simplicity of line, clean look, and the way it channels the early 60s look without being a caricature of itself.

21. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

your chevy was a big influence on me. i studied every inch of your old chevy. i talked with you at shows about it and its chop. i got a hold of lucky 7 to ask about the chop. i also got a hold of the current owner of it. he was very kind and took a lot of measurements for me. when i start to show pictures of it im sure you will see the influence that 52 cjevy had on me.

22. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

its fatty mcguires car!!! itll be at radir and lead east with a new set of shoess

23. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

I think chevy54's ride will be a very influential custom b/c it is different than all other 53/54's and will likely inspire a lot of copycats, maybe even mine. If it's too new, sorry. JMO.[​IMG]

24. Jake Moomeys 1954 Chevy Belair, Voodoo Larrys 1946 Ford Coupe and Rich Muraokas 1936 Ford Coupe

Attached Files:

25. Can't get any better than Fisher's '36 Ford Coupe !

firstnomad

26. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having seen so many butchered fleetlines, Brian's car set a whole new level for subtlety, creativity, and perfection. Learned so much from that car.

27. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

I have to completely agree. It has the coolest taillight setup on it too.

Thanks for including this car on this thread, totally belongs.

28. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

[​IMG]

Check out those tail lights! Influenced my idea on horizontal '59 Caddy tail light setup on the backup panel of my '85 Delta 88 back when I worked on it.

29. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Here it is at GNRS 2011, finished except for buffing. Fabian painted it at 3 am that morning and moved it into the Suede Palace the same day. It won Best of Show.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  30. CultureCreature

CultureCreature

I was just thinking of that Auburn.. I have some pics of it from SEMA... I will see if I can dig em up...