Register now to get rid of these ads!

Compliments.....what happens when you drive your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Apr 30, 2010.

1. roddinron

roddinron

Don't kid yourself, most of those commuters staring at you probably think you're trash, because you can't afford a nice shiny new computer commuter like they have.:D

2. saints

saints

heck they dont evan need to be running.....I just moved to a new town and was hauling the 29 coupe to the new house and had a ton of people give me the thumbs up and even got asked at 50mph if I was getting rid of it and if I was scrapping it.....aghh good ol oklahoma

3. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Always positive. Most see (or hear) it coming a block away.
    Most say," Nice Caddy or I really love that car." or the ever popular thumbs up with a nod & a smile.
    I think my passengers get a bigger kick out of it than I do.
    It never gets old & that's a fact.
    Cadillac Al:cool:

4. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Oddly enough, this is probably VERY close to the truth. I guess seeing old cars on the road is a regular thing in my area. No waves, thumbs up, or nothing for me.

5. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I had a Fresno PD give me a thumbs up in my T-Bucket. That was when i was running the 327 with open headers, gear drive an lopey cam.

6. It's hard to miss a screaming yellow and black 55 BelAir. I get the usual thumbs up or the "Ok" sign from other drivers. At the market, people ask all kinds of questions and take pics. Most of the time people walking or biking on the side of the road give me the finger or hold their ears. I guess my exhaust is out to the side a little and too loud. Biker's wave to me, which is cool. You never know when you'll need their help. I've yet to get the boobs though. I guess I'm too ugly, and even my car isn't enough to entice the ladies. Yeah, I've had the "almost drive into you while looking" situation as well. That's something we can all do without. I also get the tech-tuner, euro-trash boys who have to pull out in front of me, because my "old" car can't be that fast. Oh silly little boys, there is no replacement for displacement. I let the 425 horses loose and they get to enjoy the smell of 112 octane leaded race fuel. It's a lot of fun.

7. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

they give me the thumbs up,tell me how cool it looks,then they ask if it's steel or fiberglass.to me it's just fun to drive after spending hour after hour putting it together.hope to get it painted this year.

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I got a lot of looks in my '32 3 window highboy which was black. My rusty '31 Coupe, I had a lady in a new Escalade say she liked my car better than hers. My Biscayne, which looked stock, but had a BBC and 6 speed would impress with the sound of the cam. The sled with flames all over it would attract women that wanted to pose with it.

9. LongT

LongT

I get a lot of attention in my T-bucket. Honks, waves, people talk to me at gas stations and stop lights. I've been followed home so people could take pics or ask about it. Even been called Herman a few times. Doesn't look much like the Munster car but it is a T, black and kind of, sort of similar to the front half. Close enough for them I guess.

At car shows I have car guys bad mouth my car. Well really T's in general. Also at shows and when parked people sometimes ask if it's OK to let their kids get in. I always say of course. I tend to ignore the critics and enjoy everyone else.

Bill

10. 61pv544

61pv544
    from Denmark

Actually, you are right. Human nature dictates that you will always set a course for what you are looking at. That is why you will tend to drive towards the middle of the road if you are looking at that cool car coming towards you. Ever wondered why sometimes that old lady will hit the ONLY light pole in the middle of at huge parking lot? Not just cause she's going senile! :) She has her eyes on it so hard, that she will automatically aim for it, without even realizing it.

On the other hand, that same reflex helps racing drivers hit the ideal curve on the racetrack. You find whichever point you are going for, keep your eyes on it, and make the curve. The same thing in bowling. Look at where you want to hit, let the ball go, and pray that the pins start flyin'...

Anyway, I digress. Around here, people think most old cars are cool, and stop to have a chat!

11. Brahm

Brahm

I used to get alot of stop light racers, and a few comments here and there.. A couple flashes coming back from the beach once or twice...but 99.9% of the time it's the old guy at the gas station who nabs you for a few minutes down memory lane.

12. ron0257

ron0257

I get the same reactions, well, no boobs, with my red A-100. Coming home from the Good Guys show in Pleasanton in March, even after talking to people about the truck all day, the biggest thrill I got was a thumbs up from a guy in a cop shop lookalike coupe coming in the other direction.

The kids on bikes are the best, never a problem with them shouting "That's cool!"

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Lots of honks and thumbs up, which are nice. Appreciation from attractive young ladies is a bonus every now and again. It's hard to not be noticed, and I kinda feel like a rockstar when cruising around. My car is now the background on the phone of the guy who works at the Wendy's drive-thru. I was more than happy to let him snap a few pics, and he even gave me a small Frosty!

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

it would be funnier if you were naked...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. kenny g

kenny g

I get motion sickness.

16. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

heh...try it with a kid's carseat instead.

17. yblock292

yblock292

Gasing up the A coupe, old farmer eye-in it, " BOY YOU SURE FU#^*#%-UP A GOOD MODEL A"

18. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I get a lot of cool car, what year is it and windows rolling up in disgust.
    Its a small block chevy wiht open lakes headers.

19. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

At a show I had a local FM radio personality go absolutely nuts over my car. She demanded a ride and I gave her a quick one.. -drive, that is. My car isn't really anything special or fancy, but even mixed among many of the same cars of better quality, people flock to mine- Especially the younger women. I LOVE watching the grumpy old men stare in disgust that a young punk's car is getting more attention than his $50,000 trailer queen. Priceless!! Besides that, the usual thumbs up, etc. etc.

I even had a pair of attrative young college girls pull up next to me and tell me how much they liked my O/T stock 03 Ram 1500... That one still has me puzzled...

20. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I think I'm gonna be sick!

21. Truckedup

Truckedup

People say to me;why is the paint job so shitty? What are those ugly seats out of? Why does it lean to one side? Where is that Exxon Valdez class oil slick leaking from? Why does it smell like gas? Why does it smell like anti freeze?..........................

22. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

Tell them "It's a defense mechanism... To keep idiots away from it. So, go away."

Or just tell them, "'Cause it's a Hot Rod."

23. nofin

nofin
    from australia

I've had comments on my cars, even though they were Hamb OT (but only by a few years), but I got to admit, there is nothing quite as satisfying as schooling a ricer that there ain't no substitute for cubic inches!

24. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Ain't like my '56 is a trophy queen, but I get lots of looks, thumbs up and "What year Chevy is that?". I also have a few older but o/t cars that attract a ton of attention, and I daily driver/rotate thru them all when the weather is decent. I am so accustomed to people gawking that I don't really notice but it kinda freaks out my passengers that don't drive this sorta stuff when people gape and point.

Attached Files:

25. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

SO true. I reached into the back of the truck bed the other day at the gas station. Not thinking I bent over giving the biker chics a good show. Whistling and clapping...Ok one of them was a looker but the others...damn made me want to go home and take shower...:eek: My buddy was dying from laughter.

26. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

Most people that approach me are dope fiends wanting to know if my ride could be bought for a few $100's.

Maybe its the area I'm in, the fact that I only drive around in the middle of the night, I usually look like I'm homless, or that most of my rides are works in progress?
    One time on the way home (in the country, 4:00am, 2ln road) in my '38 Ford truck this guy slams on his brakes as he pases, turns around and follows me! Instead of finding out what his problem was, I dashed back home and drove off the road to an old jeep trial going down into a heavily wooded area. He stopped, but didn't follow :D. Figured he seen me around town and just wanted to see it up close or something.

27. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I get a lot of thumbs up in my 54, honks from truckers, and I see photo flashes a lot when sitting at a stoplight. I've even had people ask out loud in a video store "Who owns the cool car outside?" Sitting still it draws a crowd. The most common question besides "what year is it?" is the "What's that thing on the dash?", meaning the stoplight prism.

28. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mostly , people are nicer to you when you drive an old car. The odd time when I'm paying for gas someone will stick their head right into the car to get a better look....scares the crap outta my wife.
    Funniest thing that happened was when I stopped at a stop sign to turn left and there was two little kids , probably 4 or 5 years old standing on the corner with their bikes. The one kid says to the other matter of factly..."you don't see too many of those around any more" I was in my 39 and near pissed myself laughing!

Oh yeah, my cars seem to be "bum magnets"....the street people come out of the woodwork to have a look...never had a problem with any of them ...actually had a good talk with one guy who was telling me about the Willys coupe he had....seemed to say the right things , probably had lots of stories....

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  29. burnout2614

burnout2614

In daytona the homeless/bum types knew more about my car than most others. I get a lot of thumbs up but the most common question is "where's the hood?" peace

30. THE ONE

THE ONE
    from PHOENIX AZ

When I drive my 61 Biscayne I always get asked what make and year it is. When I tell them its a Biscayne most people are like "a what???" I have to explain the whole Impala, Belair, Biscayne differences. When I am in a hurry I just say 61 Impala.

On the way home from work yesterday I was at a stop light and next to me was a Middle Eastern man with a head scarf and long beard he rolls down his window and yells with his accent "cool car." It was kind of a shock but it made my day knowing that someone probably from the other side of the world thought my car was cool.