Register now to get rid of these ads!

underslund f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by taasher53, Apr 17, 2010.

1. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

First of all Taasher; the last few posts are a huge improvement in spelling, typing, caps, sentence structure, etc.. There are lots of folks here willing and happy to help but you don't want to make it a chore for them to understand what you want and need.
    If you're running the HF 110 mig with flux core wire it will do much better with shielding gas and solid wire. Well worth the investment in the upgrade. 1/8" should be no problem even for a HF rig.

2. charger

charger
    from manitoba

nice truck! got any other pictures of it?

3. taasher53

taasher53
    from IN

Thank you. Im going to put my running boards back on and see what it looks like. It might be just the right hight where it is.
    I am wanting to use 1x1 because the floor is rotted all the way around the cab. Solid but its like some one in the past used a chop saw and cut the floor out the JB welded it all back it in then the JB weld cracked all out. the front cab mount pads are gone, cut off and nothing there to mout the cab to the frame. I fabbed my own and welded them on. but when i open the doors they sag realy bad and you can tell the the front cab corner isnt that strong to support the door.

There is a floor and it realy good but just around the edge is ate up with rust. So I was going to build it up with 1x1 then take the old floor and put it on top and patch it back in. Im still going to do a body drop. I went over it for 2 hours last night and 4 inches is where im going.

Oh and I got a new auto darking helmet, lol I had on before but i guy at work dropped it and broke the glass all to shit so. Its nice to see what your welding.

Before pics after i just lowwered the front end

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. taasher53

taasher53
    from IN

O here are some pics. I cut out the old floor and dropped the body down to where I wanted it. Next I made sure it was all straight and it was all the right hight. I dropped the body 4 inches and i messered my running boards and if i do run them they will sit 7 inches off the ground. and thats where i wanted it to be.

Next is to weld up my 1x1. I messed with my welder and bought some new wire from a welding place here in Indy and it welds alot better. I have came to the point where HF wire will not be used in my welder any more. I tried 1/8th agean and it worked. I did a weld test and the only thing that happened was right before the weld the metal ripped. I had to use my press to bend it back and forth. So i now feel good about my welding skills and my welder to finish my truck my self. Oh and thanks for the idea about when to run my welder. It worked great.

More pics to fallow as they come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  5. taasher53

taasher53
    from IN

OK nothing wow did i get black balled?

6. I think your pictures are just too dark for anyone to really see what you've done.

7. What I had read and had in my Minds eye then seen in your photos. Well lets just say I was speechless. I'm taking the "wait and see" route instead of blowing my horn to the wrong song.
    The Wizzard

8. badshifter

badshifter

I see you snuck back in here taasher53... You were banned already as RatRodsbyTroy or something like that and told us all on the HAMB to F off because we were worthless pieces of shit..... Have you had a change of heart?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418051

As a reminder from your recent past:
    Im so fucking tired of this site you fuckers only wanna talk shit. Any one on here that is new and tring to do something you fuckers wanna make fun and try to be better then the next guy fuck this site fuck you hamber fucks go blow your self, there not one thread on here that a new guy has started that some one hasnt talked shit. Im done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  9. Ahhh, yeah - I remember that...

This may not end good.

10. taasher53

taasher53
    from IN

Yes that was me.

I also asked to be forgiven for that out burst.

You posted what i said but what about what the other member said. I received personal emails from members telling that i had a right to stand up for my self but i went the wrong way about it.

I have work on a problem that i had and I'm here showing respect. If you want to ban me again i understand and will respect the rules and not come back.

But i hope that i can stay and learn.

11. taasher53

taasher53
    from IN

OK back to the truck. Work has been a pain in the ass this week.

I have been thinking about the hole truckster thing. What are your thoughts on it. Would it be a rat rod or traditional? I picked up a biger weld er today and a new compressor. I was thinking of pushing my cab back a foot and making the bed 4 feet and cutting the back frame rails off. so the bed will just cover the bed.

Im still trying to find a 90 chent v6 to put into it.

12. Prob fall into the RR category...

And leave the front end hanging out there? Sorry can't visualize what your saying / thinking.

huh?

Don't take this wrong - I just have no idea what your vision is. You said it might look like your avatar earlier, but I guess I'm not following.

13. twofosho

twofosho

I just read through this whole thread and it feels like I've wasted my time, kind of like reading the thread about the early 50s Dodge by the guy from the desert.

Want some advise, try this;

Think BASICS, BASICS, BASICS.

READ, READ, READ, DO YOUR RESEARCH, MAKE A PLAN, and STICK TO IT!

All the while, if you are working on your literacy skills, you'll find you have much better luck getting advice, and learning from it.

Decide what you want the end result to be, then do yourself a favor by sticking to one thing at a time.

It seems as if you've put the cart before the horse and are horribly in over your head. Projects often time fail when the doer can't pick one thing and work it to completion, before moving on to some other aspect or phase.

Because the cab is the heart of your truck, try working on it first while putting the rest of the truck aside. Start out by making the doors bolt on solidly and correctly. Then, paying particular attention to door gaps, X brace the door openings on the cab and get a solid floor in it. At that point do ALL the rest of the structural repair work to it. Only then should you reattach the top that shouldn't have been cut away yet. Finish by getting the cab's bodywork ready for paint and at least etch or epoxy prime it. If the top is being chopped, making the glass fit now when it is easier to make structural changes might be wise. Only after the cab is finished and ready to paint would I tackle something else.

Several guys have responded to this thread with good solid advice and suggestions. Take them up on it. Be respectful, and don't be afraid to send PMs. Most importantly, USE the advice they give.

That is unless you go the rat rod/bobber truck way, this site IS for traditional hot rods and you won't find much interest here in anything else.

14. taasher53

taasher53
    from IN

I ment the bed will just fit over the rear leafs.

I really want a roadster but I cant find one. And this is what i could get that was a great deal so... I first wanted to do a 50s custom, but then I look at all the crome I wanted and it was way to much money.

So i thought about making it into a roadster or truckster. But Im no good on planning my own rides out I have only built want other people want never what i wanted.

I know that I want something that I can take to alot of shows, drive alot, something that the wife well ride in, and some thing that is safe, basic, flat red with flames over everything, A truck, im not going for awards or mag covers, just somthing i can have fun with.??????????????

15. I fully understand not being able to afford what you want. I also understand not fully knowing how to do a specific job. What I don't understand is taking a project just because it's cheep and turning it into Scrap Iron. The way I've read what you've written, even if you manage to make something in the end it's not going to be anything you want. It also sounds like you've made a Monumental project with no real direction. I know that we all practice our skills and that is what makes us better as we grow. I'm not going to tell you to stop what your doing, you clearly have the drive. I think finding someone for a little guidance and coaching would do you a World of good. I wish you the best and I hope you surprise me in the end but it just sounds like your setting yourself up for a rough landing.
    The Wizzard

16. twofosho

twofosho

Man O man, you're still all over the map and don't appear to have heard a thing anyone has said. At the rate you're going don't expect this project to be anything but a never finished, never ending money pit. Perhaps the reason you can't make a decision about where it's headed and how you're going to get there is because this truck isn't what you really want. Seriously, you might be doing yourself a favor by unloading it and finding something that's a paint job and a set of wheels away from cruising. Just make sure to stay far, far away from anything you don't get a strong mental picture of yourself driving, and enjoying it when you do.

17. If you put a Camaro or Nova stub under it and line the frames up at the BOTTOM, you will have a 6" ride height at the bottom of the doors with no suspension mods whatsoever... Rear steer will line up very close to the stock column if you're keeping it.

Build the step notch out of 2X4 tubing and weld it in, especially if you are keeping the leaf spring suspension.

Oh, and a lot of the guys trying to help (understand?) you have been doing this stuff for a LONG time. Don't argue about something you saw in a magazine if you really don't understand WHY it was done that way.

Last edited: May 8, 2010