Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starting a 27 T roadster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50skalpedponcho, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Nice. Keep us posted and photos too as you go along.

2. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Trying to make a dent, by doing something each day. It has been a long year collecting parts and saving dough to get things done. Here are some photos of the front end and the motor getting mocked up for mounts. Have to check steering box clearance, pedals, and starter clearance, etc. Starting to somewhat resemble a hot rod. Anyone out there have a Trans-Dapt catalog circa 1960's? I have the motor with adapter NC-37K for a cad-lasalle trans. Wondering what flywheel, starter, clutch plate and fork I need to run. Any help would be appreciated. I'll try and stay current with photos to show you folks how things are coming along.

Attached Files:

3. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

Looks bad ass to me!

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'll keep an eye on this one. I've already got the basic components collected to do this very combination. My body is somewhat rough but nothing that can't be salvaged. I'm going to try and use all old parts, just reconditioning them and making them usable. my powerstrain is tenetively slated to be a 270 Dodge hemi and a later model Ford top loader 3 spd but I've got lots of options.

Frank

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

all the Cad Lasalle adapters I've seen use the flywheel and starter that came with the engine and throwout bearing and fork from the Lasalle.
    the late '60s International Scout clutch fits the Lasalle input shaft
    of course Schiefer, Cragar, Weber and others made aluminum flywheels to fit too

6. Oh man! That really looks great. Keep after it!

7. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Paul - I was reading another post of yours with a picture of a Hurst Mystery Shifter on a Cad Lasalle transmission. I have a Mystery Shifter but the main bracket that mounts the shifter to the trans. is a Chevy bracket. Would it be possible to take some measurements off of your bracket? I can measure my trans. to rough out all of the main pieces, I'm just worried about hole placement.

8. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Quick update - just installed the new reverse eye spring, and rear end. Great to see it on all 4 wheels. Found out that I have a bent passenger side spring arm that needs some attention. If you look closely at the passenger side rear wheel photo, you can see what I mean. I think that is what's causing the torque tube to be pulled to the right.

Attached Files:

9. Pinewood

Pinewood

Looks good Jake! Yeah, that spring hanger looks like it's pulling the axle and torque tube over to me too.

10. Pinewood

Pinewood

Got Jake's roadster down to Saltflatmatt's shop on Friday and before you know it we had a roller! Jake can chime in and share everything he got done.

[​IMG]

Started with getting all the axles in place.

[​IMG]

Moved the engine into place-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 510madmav

510madmav

This build rules!

12. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Thanks Stefan for taking photos and to all of my fellow Lucky Bastard bros. who helped get the 27' where it is today. Redbeard, Saltflatmatt, Pinewood, Marx, and all others who have helped with info, parts, kick in the ass, etc....What did we get done this weekend?

Measured and tacked in wishbone brackets
    swapped out both front and rear springs
    Set in motor, welded in the mounts
    Saltflatmatt built and installed official Gear Drive Speed and Custom trans. mounts
    Measured(wrong), measured again and tacked together scrap torque tube
    Installed and removed body about 6 times
    Tried to install f-100 box with flange supplied by Pinewood. Box hits stock starter, I'll either go with mini-starter or cowl steering(something to think about tonight)
    *(might have a 53-56 F-100 box w/column, ground and ready to install with flange and pitman arm on the HAMB classifieds. Keep watching.)
    Messed around with fit and fab on Hurst mystery shifter bracket and linkage to Cad/Lasalle trans.
    Started talking and looking at fit, fab, and function of brake/clutch pedal(s) and mounting.

So many thank yous again to all that lent a huge hand this weekend and to all you out there with words of inspiration.

13. redbeard

redbeard

Looks good Jake.

For the steering box, I had a similar problem on the red roadster with the olds motor.

Starter on drivers side. I actually moved the steering box forward on the frame to clear the starter. It will angle the steering column down a little, but you have to mock it up to see.

I also have a bracket the mounts the steering up higher on the frame, it is a factory bracket for a ford forklift.

Give me a call and we can figure out something to work.

Cowl steering is cool, but you may be limited on room under the dash up there on the T.

Also if you need pedals for under the floor let me know, I have a bunch of different options.
    Or I have plans to make you own swing pedals.

Glad to see how it is coming together.

That thing is going to be a hell of a ride.

Good to see you guys working together.

see ya

14. I've got a Hurst mystery shifter for a sideshift Lasalle trans if you need any measurements. I've just found this thread and noticed you'd asked Paul for some dimensions further up.

15. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Peddro - Those measurements would be a big help. Thanks.

16. Leave it with me. I'll try to dig it out tonight and draw it up tomorrow.

17. marx

marx

In the struggle to safely cross the snowy tundra last Saturday, none of us remembered to pack a camera. So here's some shots I took with my dinosaur of a cell phone.
    These were taken after just letting the motor and trans down on their own weight, resting comfortably in their new home.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      94.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      95.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      86.7 KB
      Views:
  18. marx

marx

Spent another Saturday thrashing on the '27 at Gear Drive Speed & Custom. Got the rails c-notched, and a good start on framing out the cowl steering.

Attached Files:

19. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Just found the tread again Jake. Got it subscribed now. Happy to see this project progressing. I'd like to see what you have in mind for the cowl steering. I've got one figured out for my '27 but it never hurts to look at someone elses idea.

Ron

20. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Finished up the shifter bracket and installed the Mystery shifter and modified shift arm with the ol' Creature from the Black Lagoon head today. Transmission cross member is tacked in place. On to steering column and pedals.

Attached Files:

21. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

All I can say is...Damn! that car is lookin finee! Looks great and all traditional exactly the kind of stuff I love man! I wish down here I had some bud's with the knowledge and shop along with the love for trad. rods. Damn you got it made haha. Looks bitchin though man! Hope to make a trip up north sometime soon to check it out!

22. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Looking great Jake!!!

Ron

23. its nice to see this build taking shape. ive got a 26 t body sitting in the garage waiting for its turn. nice motivation!

24. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

6 month update?

25. We need another update on this cool project.

Frenchy

26. Pinewood

Pinewood

I know Jake got the body and other parts blasted and primed a little while ago. Other than that he's been helping me thrash on my coupe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Jake, I gotta believe there's been some progress in 11 months since your last post. How about an update?

Ron

28. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Its been a tough few months. Going through a divorce, trying to get my home refinanced, and the sign shop I've been working in the last 5 years was just bought and we have had to move over a 100 years of equipment, paint booths, etc. to another shop crosstown. I'm just tired, stressed, and a little bummed out. I'm planning on going to the shop tomorrow and doing some wrenching. I think that will make me feel better. Thanks for your support guys.

29. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france