Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need to see some SLIDE / TILT front end brackets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Chopperman

Chopperman

looking for trick tilt front end bracketry...Building a 55 chevy with a glass front end.. The brackets that are on there now are ummm... OK,, but now what I'm looking for and I've hated them since I owned the car.

I used to own a buick with a slide / tilt front end that was sweet and thats what I'm really going for.. I'm thinking 80's BMW or buick.....:cool:

So lets see those slide / tilt front end brackets.

THANKS

2. That's a neat idea. There's a 1990 BMW 7 Series at my local Pullit yard. I was looking at it the other day thinking it would look sweet flipping the hood on my 55 F-100. Flipping the whole front end with it never occured to me but I bet it could be done with some mods. What ever you decide to use, do a tech post and share with the rest of the class.

3. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I have big door hinges welded to the frame of mine.

Attached Files:

4. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I have a buddy runnig modified big rig hinges. works well and looks good with some work. I'll see about getting pics from him.

5. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

try this http://www.usbodysource.com/

go down and click on the 64-69dart then installed photos link on the one piece front end
    whole world of fun

6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am currently finishing one for a Henry J. I posted some pictures and information on another recent post about tilt front ends. This one slides in and out on linear bearings which are used on industrial machines. It then rotates on brass bearings. I used old gas hatch cylinders to limit the amount of tilt. I have done several tilt front ends. Hooley's Bonneville Studebaker and his Henry J gasser the "Okie Twister", along with the old WZ JUNK" truck and others. It is not as simple as you would think but it does make it easy to work under the hood.

If you have specific questions, I will try to helpl.

John

Attached Files:

7. If i remember correctly Kiwi Kev did a really awesome tech post or it was just in one of his threads about fabricating brackets for a tilt front for a (i think..) '55 Chevy.

8. One I did years ago... It automatically drops the fenders into place as it slides back, and uses Caddy trunk closers to hold everything tight.

Attached Files:

9. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

One thing to consider on the slide is that it needs a latch or something to hold it out in the extended position. This will keep it from trying to slide back when the hood is tilted up. On the Henry J I am working on now I made a spring loaded latch for each side.

I will post some more pictures if I can get my digital camera working.

John

10. 5w32

5w32

old school but works great, on my 40 stude gasser

Attached Files: