Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mac's antique auto - ever have problems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Apr 27, 2010.

1. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

.....WOW,

check you out!

I dunno know about you homes, but i have ordered lots of stuff from BOTH of these places, no complaints really, these folks sell REPRODUCTIONS my man, NOT New Old Stock parts.

just my 2 cents

Cheatercarl

2. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

First of all.....if the synchro parts don't show up, call us. We have that stuff in stock. We specialize in the Ford trannies from 1932-60, but it's tough to keep everything in stock. Especially if the parts arent mfr'd anymore and you're scrounging NOS parts wherever you can.

Sometimes, the phone doesnt stop ringing, and you have inventory in two locations, and the order still needs to be packed, and the credit card didnt go thru the first time, etc etc. An order may not always get out the same day. We do the very best we can. I can't speak for any particular issues with MAC'S but they have generally shipped my orders in time. Once it's in the hands of UPS.....anything can happen. Same with the post office.................... Mac VP

www.FlatheadV8.com

3. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

I've ordered mostly small things (1960 starliner parts are kinda hard to find); but, had just one order go a little wrong. They were back ordered on a dome light lens of all things; when I called they explained. Would have been nice if they had short shipped the rest of the items and let me know what the whole order was waiting on. In my case, no harm done; they just could have kept me a little more informed....

4. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I use them quite a bit and never had an issue with them.I'm getting an order ready to go now

5. Rick Mac

Rick Mac
    from Lockport

Rick McIntosh, President and one of the owner's of MAC's Antique Auto Parts here. I read all of above and I do see that some people have had issues with us and many have not. I want to thank ALL of you for at least giving us a chance and to know we do care about this hobby and what we help you all do. To some of the points I respond:

Tech = we are trying to hire more tech's and have not had a lot of success (any one who has come in our showroom or read the local papers has seen our ad's looking for such). Live in WNY and looking for a full time job and know old cars inside and out...CALL ME!

Stock/Inventory = Many items are "drop shipped" (tires, large sheet metal, seat springs...) as they cost a lot to ship and the variety and cost of stock and making shipping companies money....sometimes we feel it better to drop ship. We do run about a 95% fill rate but there are items that everyone is out of and issues do happen.

Customer Service = WIthin the last year we put a program in palce to help drive quality on the phone. If you have a bad experience share it with me but I need name of employee, date and the issue to better follow up.

Slowness = Have been in the past and tried to work on this and continue to work on this. Yes, we do have a $2 rush out the same day if placed same day but I want everyone to know this "% shipped same day or within 48 hours" is something we are working on in 2010.

I am not trying to make excuses for my company as we are human's and do make mistakes. But as I am not on this site all the time I offer up my personal information so you can contact me directly with issues still unresolved or new/current issues you are not happy with....in other words I am willing to hear and try to fix anything we have not responded to.....angain...contact me directly (see below) so I can try and help.

Thank you ALL for keeping this hobby going and HAPPY MOTORING!

SIDE NOTE: olskool34 maybe drop me a e-mail with cust # so I can see what the heck is going on.

Rick McIntosh
    e = [email protected]
    P 800-777-0948 ext 102
    P 716-204-9330

6. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

SEE, this dude cares!!!!!

There are "Respected" ALLIANCE Vendors on the HAMB that would NOT stand up & do what Mr. Rick McIntosh is doing!

I will forever support Macs Antique Auto Parts, ... Rick, I got your back homeboy!

Sincerely,
    President of the Macs Antique Auto Parts FAN CLUB
    Cheatercarl

7. Thanks for posting Rick, it's great to see you paying attention here and caring about what goes on.

I'm with those that have had no problem with Mac's. There are faster shipping options, but you pay for them. If you pay for standard shipping, expect standard shipping. I have ordered lots of stuff for my trucks, 50 and Thunderbird from Mac's. Only once have I received something broken (a fan clutch with a broken seal), and after calling them they IMMEDIATELY sent a replacement and waited a couple weeks for my return to get to them without charging me.

If you ask me, they have good customer service, are honest about what they sell (reproductions) and do a decent job. But yes, if you want it in a hurry pay to get it in a hurry. Don't just order from the place with the best prices and expect overnight service like those that charge you double for the same parts.

8. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Built alot of my a off Mac parts and it there backed up they told me. But if the parts were in stock they came fast.Np here at all with Mac's:)

9. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

Bin shopping there 30+ years, no issues.
    Can"t please everyone. But they do a great job trying.

10. chubbie

chubbie

hi Rick mac
    great to hear from you.. get along w/ my mac stuff just great;)

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Just got my latest order on my doorstep yesterday. On time and all good.

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I had an issue with Mac's recently. I ordered a windshield gasket for my 57 Ford Custom 300 (the "Pearl Necklace"). Mac's had two gaskets listed on their website with different part numbers. One was listed as fitting body style 70B (which is a Custom 300 2dr sedan, my car), and the other was listed as fitting a "57 Custom 300". I figured i couldn't go wrong, and ordered the one specifically fitting body 70B. When I got it, it fit the window, but had no provisions for the lower pieces of stainless trim. Considering all 70B cars came with that trim, it shouldn't be listed as being for that body and trim package! I called immediately and pointed out the discrepency, which thet agreed on. I ordered the right gasket, and asked that maybe they pick up the shipping charge or put it on rush delivery since we were down to the wire on getting the car done for the Detroit Autorama. They gratiously said they would. 6 DAYS LATER (upstate NY to North NJ) the gasket shows up, with FULL SHIPPING CHARGES. They told me what I wanted to hear to get me off the phone, then went back on their word. I almost missed getting glass in the car for the show because of their error in the first place. I have many parts to still purchase to truly finish my car off the way I want, and you can bet I'll be going to Dennis Carpenter for the rest.

13. olskool34

olskool34

I was not told they were on back order, I was told they were in stock and I was given a day that they would be in my hand. That is why I am hot under the collar. Glad to see the president on here. Hopefully in the future, things will get better with Mac's.

14. dutched32

dutched32

I had the same trouble with Mac's I perfered buying from Snyder when I was build my model A, they were very helpful

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yep, I got some stuff as well... with a discount no less!

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

I have zero affiliation with Mac's, other than the stuff I have ordered over the years, but I can relate. I have owned two of my own businesses and am privy to most things at Goodguys.

No company can please everyone all the time. There will be mistakes and things that people just plain don't like or agree with. We get people all the time who go around yelling how much they hate Goodguys - when you ask them why, it's usually something out of Goodguys control like hotel pricing, food pricing or weather. Sometimes it's as lame as the guy who just threatened to have 80 of his friends quit Goodguys because we have not taken the initiative to fight the new immigration law in Arizona. WTF?!?!?! Yeah, nothing like, "What is Goodguys' stance", or "Can you get involved in this issue that has nothing to do with your company or hot rodding". Just an email that starts threatening in the second sentence that he will start telling everyone he knows how much Goodguys sucks if we don't do what he demands. Then all people hear from him is "Goodguys sucks" and get that stuck in their head for no valid reason.

Keep in mind that the people who complain are usually the loudest. They often have a valid issue, but people who had good service rarely make it known without being asked, so it's hard to get a gauge on things sometimes.

That said, companies need feedback, good or bad, to help them improve.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  17. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

nice people, but I recived junk sheet metal, looked like a kid made it .

18. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

Good news on my order, got an email confirming shipment 1 day after ordering. only got window seals but hey that's pretty good turn around to me. will definatly use macs again

19. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I have had nothing but good service from Macs. I just ordered (5 minutes ago) over $500 of parts from Macs.

20. thesupersized

thesupersized

yea! i was hoping for them to join the HAMB alliance!!!

21. Jeff J

Jeff J

Why don't get the tracking number ?? Then All the issues if it was shipped on the date they said, then it would not be Mac's fault ! Rather then to bitch at the shipper!!!

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I've ordered stuff from Mac's and was happy with quality, availability and delivery time. The trunk lock for my 61 Galaxie fit and still works great. The trunk gasket coulda used better prep but, I guess I'll take the hit for that.
    The Arizona sun hasnt been kind to the Hula Girl either.
    I'll order again without hesitation.

23. cruzr

cruzr

I just got some stuff from them, fast shipping, no problems

24. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

me too.

25. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

It took 2 and a half months to get my top for the cabriolet and this after they assured me they had it in stock, price was great, product was superior quality,customer service
    d-

26. olskool34

olskool34

Well I did get my part but it took 14 days. I was told it would take 4 so lesson learned, If I need it now, get it shipped overnight so there are no problems. Don't get me wrong, Mac's is a good company but they can improve on some things.

27. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy & I just got back from Mac's with his whole order. Called ahead and they had everything waiting in a box for him. Checked it all out and it was complete. Out of there in under 15 minutes. Counter guy couldn't have been more friendly & helpful.

Just my 2¢

28. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Received my whole order today from Macs. Everything looks great!
    Now I get to rebuild my front end. :D

I have found Macs to be execptional in selection, price and service. I am already planning my next order.

Mike

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

I called them today with an issue with a part. They sent me a replacement without any hassle. Easy cheesy!

30. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

I just ordered a fairly large order; and had something along the same lines happen again. My quoted ship date came and passed; and I had no parts. It is important to note that I specified it was "ok to hold until order complete." I called Mac's, and found out that it was waiting on another part (an oil pan gasket available anywhere non the less). I cancelled the order on the gasket, and the CSR put the extra effort to make sure it shipped that day (when I called it must have been close to 5pm at Mac's).

I don't like giving feedback; but I thought I would being that I sincerely believed Rick McIntosh has strong values and involvement within his company (as evident by his previous post to this thread). I chose to send Rick a detailed email regarding my experience and a few suggestions that would have limited my frustrations.

Rick was able to take my feedback and identify a gap between the estimated ship date and when the product leaves the facility regarding the "hold until complete" orders. Rick is actively working on a program to notify the customer when an estimated ship date is missed or in jeopardy; and most likely, has this implemented by now!

***Side note: Rick may have not been able to identify the gap found without customer feedback (HAMB and myself); and he is very responsive to suggestions! You don't know what to fix if you don't know the problem!

I feel very confident working with Mac's knowing that the president takes suggestions seriously; and his values are shown throughout.

I notice that many of the other responses to this thread are along similar lines; so, I would like to proclaim this as a victory for the power of the HAMB and Mac's.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010