Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Monster

The_Monster

Cool idea!
    I dont claim to be the worlds best painter, but if I get to drive it down the salt flats once, Ill stripe, letter, number, flame, flake and scallop the shit out of it for free!

2. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Cool! ...that's a sizeable "if"...lol

3. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I Pledge $5 US, or are we just looking for parts right now?

Where do I send it? or are we just looking for parts right now? could there be a paypal account specifically for this?

I vote Hambered for the name!

4. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

HI Garth, no pledges yet. In my mind the car is given to the cause but we need Ryan to get a legal and hassle free structure designed so we can have somewhere to send cash or parts. For now this thread is just to announce my intentions and to secure support for the concept.

I'm liking The "Hambered" Coupe as well but I'm sure the "Name-The-Coupe" thread will be a hot one. Stay tuned.

5. brokesville hooligan

brokesville hooligan

i've read most of these posts and i like this idea , i'll get behind it when or if it takes off , i'll donate parts , time , or money . i hope we keep this rolling !

6. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Oh ya, I rally like the idea of it being a regular car, not just a race car. Of cource it still has to be fast. :)

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let me tell ya'll a story 'bout a man named Bill
    He hailed from the country of Austalia.
    He said, "I wanna give this '34 Ford to the HAMB.
    I'm tellin' the truth, I wouldn't fail ya."
    Whadda ya say we hot rod this 5 window coupe?
    If we all work together, we could really make 'er scoot!"

The guys on the HAMB said, "Good idea, Bill!
    You think we oughta build a racer?...Then we will!
    Just tell us what to do, and we'll all do it.
    With us all pitchin' in, there's really nothin' to it.
    We all love a hot rod, a blast from the past...
    We'll build it real good...and make 'er really fast!"

Some designs were submitted by members good in the arts,
    And some others built some models made of plastic.
    And a bunch of guys started donating parts,
    They knew that this gonna be somethin' really fantastic!
    A bunch of shops fixed the body,
    Some other fellas built the frame,
    An engine, some wheels,
    This dream was comin' real!
    And in the meantime everybody was tryin' to come up with a name.

To be continued...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  8. keep it coming Ricky!

9. Good idea, at least for higher powered scenarios.

I doubt that it would require anyone getting a comp license to handle the awesome power of an NA 239 with 3 97s on it, though.

But, perhaps any prospective driver should have to post up a bond in case of damaage... you wreck the car, break the car, etc, you lose your bond.

Make it affordable, but significant. Maybe $100.

Just a thought.

Here's another one: anyone to drive the HAMB coupe has to demonstrate proficiency in a vehicle he supplies.

I could make a couple of passes in a '54 Dodge pickup with a healthy big block, and also demonstrate that I can drive a stick (2 separate cars). This doesn't mean that I couldn't get over my head with a blown 392, but should at least qualify me to operate the car at the 2-300 HP level.

Of course, if it's pretty fast, a comp license should be required.

Here's another thought: What about loaning parts instead of donating? Example: If the coupe comes to Seattle, perhaps a local guy has a set of slicks which could be used for a weekend at SIR or Bremerton. So, he brings his slicks to the track for the HAMB coupe to use while running that weekend.

This way, a lot more people could make a contribution. There's only need for one set of drag slicks at a time for the car. Can't bolt seven pairs on 'er all at once! But, if different guys are allowed to bring a set of slicks for the car to use when it comes to different areas, a lot more people would be able to contribute. And, nobody would have to keep track of (or store) seven sets of tires that seven guys have donated.

Although I jumped in as one of the first 'naysayers', I think one of the problems is not going to be getting people to contribute, but finding a way so that more people will be allowed to contribute!

And for what it's worth, I'd rather see the car shuffled around from area to area, shop to shop, track to track, and home to home in perpetuity. There's always a bunch of chances to donate to good causes around here; lots of auctions and such. Let's do something different and not sell this one off.

-Bill

10. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

I say we give it a 360 Rambler engine, Or as we can then call it, the "Hambler" engine.

Its going to be a mix of all "rods".

Mixing Gassers, Traditional Rods, Street Racers, and even maybe a little bit of Rat Rod (i hope not, but its everyones.)

We (or rather Ryan) Should take the car around the USA, Aussie, and anywhere else, and we all get to sign it SOME WHERE, and our signatures form a big "HAMB" sign.

Everyone who donates gets a key, and when its brought to the hamb drags, we can all drive it.

Agreed?

11. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

This is just one of many possibilities.
    http://www.49in9.com/

12. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Rule #1
    If you don't like this idea/project - quit watching NOW.
    You're either in or out. If the "sticky situations" bug you then just change the channel and let the boys who want to play, play.

I don't see this as any different than a few good ol boys putting together all their parts in a garage and draggin' it out to the dirt track. And that shit happens every day here in our own back yards all summer long.

Rule #2
    Nobody owes anyone anything - no favor trading - no "if you give this then I'll give that" (tit-for-tat) - and especially no liability. Print and carry release forms that follow the car.

And my vote for a name will have to be "HAMBer Down".
    (alluding to the petal to the metal mentality as well as the project's "Down Unda" roots)

~Bro

13. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

Im in if it comes to Salt Lake City im down for any fab or body and paint and have a place to do it maybe even have some small parts to throw in.....

14. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

ME TOO!!:cool:

15. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

More great ideas and input than I can keep up with this in this reply but I've read all the replies and am nodding to 99% of the feedback and ideas. We are all pretty singular in ideology. We all pretty much all like the same or very similar cars or at least style or attitude of cars so I see this as being nothing but a huge success.

Until we get the full green light we may as well use this thread to gather ideas though you'll all be asked to contribute to the specific voting and concept threads this will generate.

Thanks for the poem! That was cool and made me feel oddly special (all this over a car...lol). What a great bunch of generous folks. I sure am glad I can across this community. Glad to know y'all.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One other idea...LITTLE HAMBER

Or maybe...BIG HAMBER

17. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I've been thinking...Is there a way that we can take the pressure off Ryan? What about if one of the clubs (providing it's a legal entitiy and can own property) buys it for $1.00 officially so then all we need is Ryan to give us the nod to use the H.A.M.B. name and logo and we are good to go.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds good Bill. Or start a new social group within the HAMB, and make it a legal entity? Also, then everything can be done within the social group...the discussions, the votes, the donations...everything. Just brainstorming along with you, I'm good with whatever you and Ryan and others decide.

P.S. - The social group forum can be split into as many sub-forums as we need.

19. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

I just thought of something else! If it's hambered or hamber something we can make lame jokes when we see it (stop! hamber time!).

I like the deposit idea.

As far as paint (i know it's a little early but I have a vision) I think it should have the hamb logo you see at the top of the page big on the doors and maybe a little one for a grill emblem and the rest of the car should be a complimentary dark blue. Simple, classy, recognizable.

EDIT: Just saw the above post. Yes.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BTW, aside from waiting on word from Ryan, and the legal aspects, the present discussion can be taken to a newly-formed social group immediately.

This thread is getting lengthy, and that would help to allow reorganization of the discussion, and it's various aspects. Maybe the mods would allow a "Sticky" to notify all here that the discussion has been moved? Not everyone would see it if the notification was only at the end of this thread.

21. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Would a new group hide it from the general membership because it's in another place away from view? I'm in groups and unless I specifically go there to see if there is anything new to read I don't know there has been an update...unless I'm doing it wrong.

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, there would need to be a way to catch the attention of the members here, whether it was previous posters to this thread, or members who hadn't even seen this thread yet, to notify them that any new discussion is taking place in the social group. So far, this thread has pretty-much stayed on the first page, because of frequent posting, and if we continued the discussion in a social group, there may not be enough posts here to keep the thread visible to everyone. We could always keep bumping it though. That's why I suggested that we might get the moderators to put up a "sticky" as a notification that the discussion has moved. One other thought...If we do form a new social group, the forum needs to be formed and organized and maintained by someone who can devote a fair amount of time to it. Whoever forms the new social group, has power to delete posts, start new sub-forums, etc. It would have to be someone who could be trusted not to take advantage or misuse it. I started a new social group not so long ago...before even receiving one poster...that is before I was even done forming the various sub-forums...I realized that it had inherate responsibilities that I didn't want at the time. As a side note...anyone who even wants to view the social group content must become a member of it...not hard to do, just saying.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I were you Bill, I would send a PM to the mods, and pose these questions to them. They may have suggestions or ideas to accommodate a change. All I can think of is to continue as we are, and/or to start new threads, and/or to form a social group with a sticky to notify everyone of the move.

24. RichG

RichG

I think your idea of starting a social group is a good one. Not having to worry about trying to subscribe and chase down threads will make it easier for everyone who wants to participate to do so, and it'll allow you to have your own "moderator" (so to speak) to keep excess threads to a minimum and eliminate unnecessary posts.

One way to keep the social group visible would be to add a link to it in your signature line. If everyone in the group did that, well, we all post enough on here that word would get around, plus putting a progress report post on the main page once in awhile would do the same.

Keep on keepin' on guys, lovin' this!

25. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Way to go 32ford5 !
    I'm in for parts and/or cash.
    If it goes nailhead, I have a super clean set of valve covers.
    If it goes HEMI, again, a set of valve covers and a 727 small block trans.
    Or some green paper stuff. Whatever works :D

26. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I'm still not sure about a social group. It will disappear and the project will end up in obscurity. I'm willing to put up a web page that I can link to in my signature which has a directory of all threads to do with the H.A.M.B. Coupe and all threads will start with those two words "H.A.M.B. Coupe" and as we need things such as a name suggestion or parts or are talking about a specific part of the project it will surface to the top of the main board where everyone will participate.

Also, I've participated in social group threads and have never received a reply notification (might be something I forgot to tick) so obviously that wouldn't suit us. It needs to be convenient and where everyone can see it. I will come up with a way so that no "H.A.M.B. Coupe threads are lost and all are found from a single thread or page. A master thread would probably be needed and can remain as a sticky. Then all threads created could be linked to that initial post and thread starter.

No, I would like and prefer and would vote and campaign that this project does not get relegated to a social group and stays right here in front of everyone. If it's relegated to the social groups I don't think it will be anywhere near as successful a project as it would be.

Unless I'm missing something about social groups and the way they are structured and we are notified of all replies.

27. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Just received a PM from a member who runs an official charity and is an active member on the H.A.M.B. to buy the car and be the official owners so Ryan, if you like...there's an out for you.

28. metalman

metalman

I think a charity or a car club other then the HAMB owning the car is a BIG, BIG mistake. Sell it to anyone and it is theirs legally to do as they want, they control it (they can sell it as soon as it's done). I've personally witnessed a club president with the help of his buddy (the vice presidant) LEGALLY steal thousands of dollers from a local (non-profit) car club, money raised to be donated to charity.

29. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Metalman. That's certainly a point to consider. The offer was made in good faith by a strong and active member of this community but I suppose presidents and committees change all the time and there is that risk. Never really thought of the downside. That's why a forum is great ideas come from everywhere.

Choice 1) I own it but accept no donations - fine but slower because I have to pay for everything and all the travel and tour the car...bit of an "ask" of anyone I think.

Choice 2) Ryan (or his company) owns it and he can accept donations - more work for Ryan though.

Choice 3) We start up a company to own it and accept donations - much more work and we'll need a secretary to manage the books and comply with all national laws and obligations.

Choice 4) A charity or organisation already in existence (we are all comfortable with) buys it.

Choice 5) Do we have any other choices?

30. Kreepy

Kreepy
    from Austin, Tx

32ford5, Great idea. Really, good looking out. I find it funny that as grown up as we all think we are, we sure can act like pissy little shits.
    All things come full circle, good and bad. I just hope I get to see the naysayers when this project is finished. When the time comes I offer my paint and bush skills if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.