Register now to get rid of these ads!

rookie question trying to get tires on a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bn48chevy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

what parts am i missing i have a 47 chevy car that has no front tires on it..the suspension is there but i have this shaft that has threads on the end of it i am unsure what it is called? i am missing the part that has the wheel studs on it also.. i am wanting to get the missing parts so i can get some tires on the car..please excuse my poor description

2. maniac

maniac

You are missing the brake drum, along with the wheel bearings, and probably the brake shoes

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

the "HUB" is the part with the wheel studs on it..that along with bearings will get it rolling but not stopping.

4. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

thanx for such quick replys...where would a person go about looking for the hub and bearings?

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You need the hubs, bearings, possibly backing plates, drums, etc.
    You need a parts car or parts from a complete assembly.
    Digging up individual parts from multiple sources will be a pain in the butt.
    Your also gonna need new brake parts at least.

Seeing as how your spindles (shaft that has threads on the end of it) have been exposed to the elements and potential impact damage for who knows how long, I'd be wary of using them without having someone who KNOWS cars give them a good look over at least...
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to actually pass this job on to that person instead of trying it yourself. Watch and learn!

This is your brake and steering system...plus its old to start with.

You HAVE to make sure its right! :)

6. The part with the threads on it is the spindle. Make sure the threads are good and will accept the castle nut that retains the bearing washer. A cotter key is ESSENTIAL!. Do yourself a big favor and pick up a shop manual for your car. It will have pix of what you need and proceedures on how to put it all together (repacking wheel bearings). Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  7. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

im not planning on driving it this way the car has no motor as of now i am just wanting to get it so i can roll it around right now it is sitting in a field

8. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

is it possible to get hubs from another vehicle to work or do they make spindles i could switch over so i could use parts from something else?

9. F&J

F&J

I would think many years of GM cars might be the same hubs/drums.

Maybe someone has the info. BTT

10. Larry T

Larry T

If you're thinking about upgrading the brakes to discs (not a bad idea, safetywise), now would be a good time to buy the kit to do it.
    Larry T

11. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

i did plan on upgrading down the road but if its going to be hard to get tires on it this way maybe i will have 2 do it sooner than planned..i have a s10 that i was told i could use the clip off of or i could go with mustang 2 any opinions on this?

12. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Those 2 options need to be done in a shop ,welding needed. 41-54 hubs and drums will fit to make a roller out of it. May be quicker cheaper to get a tow truck to drag it home.

13. My Hollander shows that these hubs fit your 47.

39-40 Chevy passenger car with knee action front suspension
    40-42 Chevy sedan delivery
    41-48 passenger car

Also a side note says that these fit.

29-50 1/2 ton Chevy truck
    37-42 3/4-1 ton Chevy truck
    36-50 GMC 1/2 ton truck
    39-42 GMC AC and CC series 152 truck

These brake drums are said to fit your 47

36-48 Chevy passenger car with knee action suspension

Hope this helps you out.

14. lowdown and dirty

lowdown and dirty

check out.... www.chevsofthe40s.com ....they have everything youll need... a shop manual is a great idea!