Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Walmart battery ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hugh m, Apr 27, 2010.

1. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Had to buy a battery Saturday nite, Walmart was the only place open, so now my T has a big box battery... got to thinking, any one know who makes their batteries? Too late now, but sure hope it's not Chinese....

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've got a Walmart battery in my 47CJ Jeep that's been there for 3 years. I don't drive it very often but it starts every time winter or summer.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  3. Most (not all) U.S. batteries are made by either Johnson Controls or Exide Technologies. WalMart has sourced from both; the one I bought a month ago was made by Exide.

Most of the factories for U.S. production are in the U.S. or Mexico so far as I know. There is a Johnson Controls battery guy on here now who might be able to be more specific.

4. GregF

GregF

I don't know who makes them but when I replaced the batteries in my last two daily drivers I bought them from Walmart. Not because they were cheaper but I thought if I broke down there are a lot of Walmart stores around the country to utilize the warranty on the battery.

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I used to go to Reliable battery company to get batteries for heavy equipment, they had all the different size batteries on racks, once they got the battery I needed they had a row of boxes with Exide, NAPA, Reliable, Standard, etc, etc, etc decals. The difference between a Reliable battery, and an Exide battery was it cost $35.00 more, and slapping on a Exide decal on the "black box" battery.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In a recent issue of Consumer Reports Walmart's upper line battery was rated a "Best Buy"...............both on durabilty and lower cost. They actually offer two versions, one for northern climes and one for southern...........but both equally well rated.

Ray

7. Unless you have a unique requirement, any battery should be fine. I've bought them at Pep Boys, Sears, Auto Barn (local parts store) for the most part. You have to think about the warranty if you keep the car for a few years.

I don't know if it pays to make batteries overseas and ship them to the US and elsewhere. Since they're heavy, the shipping cost might offset the manufacturing cost savings.

Bob

8. VooDoo Child 56

VooDoo Child 56
    from Jersey

On a side note, the sticker peels off pretty easy, and a little carb cleaner on a rag will remove the white lettering on the caps. I think it makes them look a "little" more "correct". And, do not use those chopped off bolt on battery cable ends, I hate them.

9. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Avoid them like the plague! I've been in the parts business for 22 years & every winter I get several Wal Mart batteries frozen solid! I've never seen any other brand do that, not once. Personally, I won't set foot in that shithole! My 2 cents!

10. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

I get ragged because I buy them, probably the only auto part that I buy there.

There's one in my boat...

roadster

pickups

SUV

And...

They have a decent warranty, you can replace them anywhere, no fuss.

Rich

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

So it looks like we're down to only two battery manufacturers now, huh?
    They still make a plethora of different weight CCA and size batteries to solve most anyone's battery problems in the line of a conventional lead/acid battery.

13. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

I think General Battery is still in business,but they do a lot of industrial equipment.

14. rhpope

rhpope

Who makes Interstate batteries?

15. There are some other companies, East Penn being one, that still make automotive batteries. http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/ I believe Odyssey and Braille batteries are made by their own respective parent companies, and Deka is made by East Penn of course.

The vast majority of regular production (as in OE-supplied) and aftermarket batteries are made by Johnson Controls and Exide Technologies, though, under many different brand names, including Diehard, Motorcraft, Caterpillar, etc.

I believe, though I could be mistaken, that Interstate Batteries are made by Johnson Controls, though it's a independent company; it was started as a battery wholesaler/distributor and expanded into its own brand. So far as I know they have never made their own batteries.

General Battery is owned by EnerSys, the parent company also of Odyssey batteries; as Bob said, they make primarily industrial stuff.

16. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Deka is still going strong.

17. Elrod

Elrod

Just put a Wal-Mart battery in my 1930 last night. They gave me money back for my 5 year old Wal-Mart battery that just died.

Shoot. They never test them at the counter. Just keep bringing them back at the 2 year mark and always have a new free battery. Walmart is everywhere, too, so no worries about if your battery goes dead. Don't sweat it.

18. RodLand

RodLand

Wife bought a Ford Taurus in 1998. Battery died within a year, warranty replaced it and it lasted until last winter. Dealer wanted 100+ for replacement. Went to wally world and got their suggested replacement.EXACT same battery accept for label on the side.

19. thats a smart move, I buy mine from Autozone though because they offer a 8 year warranty and seem to work pretty well

20. Thumper

Thumper

Interstate = Johnson controls
    Duralast = Johnson controls ( currently)

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I needed a battery for my very-OT snowmobile, which takes a gel motorcycle type battery. Dealer wanted $125.00, auto parts stores $100.00, K-Mart $85.00, Wally World $75.00. Same damn battery. Same damn warrantee. No worries.

22. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

You keep goin to Wally World. It's fucking what wrong with this country.
    Cheap fuckers!!

23. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I got to Budget Batterys. Remans for $35, and seem to work pretty well

24. highboy_04

highboy_04
    from Kansas

i like how you call everyone cheap fuckers after this whole thread is nothing but people talking about how they are all the same damn battery. why not buy a cheaper battery if its the exact same thing

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I can't understand why Wal-Mart always catches crap about Chinese imports,when I needed connectors to finish my wiring project O'Reillys and Autozone were all "made in China" went to Wal-Mart and bought 3M made in St.Paul ,MN USA.I have used their batteries also and got over 4 years service out of them and that is rare with the heat here in Phoenix.Wal-Mart is not to blame for the foreign outsourcing they are not a manufactuer they are a retailer,retailers buy from who can supply the products they need to supply customer demand.After I retired I delivered for CSK wholesale, Raybestos started using chinese suppliers bigtime,the garages we delivered to bitched, several months later the new brake rotors started coming in boxes stamped "Made in Argentina" so go figure! If you really want to lay blame go to the cities that once made America the greatest manufactuer in the world and talk to the folks that once worked in those factories that are now closed up and gone,they will tell you government over regulation is what closed their doors.Last week ABC news reported that industrial pollution is down 20% from 1990,well I guess if you run off American manufacturing in this country"you can breathe easier" ??

26. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

It's how they treat their employees that I give a shit about. Not their JUNK

27. I bought a Walmart Battery for my Mom's old Buick estate wagon. I bought the highest CCA available. it had a 3 year guarantee. every 2 years it dies. I go down and they put a new one in with another 3 year guarantee. My daughter has the car now and just had the 7th new battery installed at their service center.
    I wouldn't buy one for myself but I can't knock there service or guarantee

28. why don't you look for another job? McDonalds is always hiring too!

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I got one in my 37 chevy p/u and I dont think the quality is there as it sat for a couple months this winter and went dead,I dont think anything is wrong in the truck as the previous autozone battery would stay up all winter without being started and was almost 10 years old when it was replaced. The a/z battery was not bad when it was replaced but I had to get a smaller battery when I installed the T-5 as I adapted the original E brake to the trans and took room for the battery so I got one from wally world.

30. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have bought batteries there for a few cars so far and my boat and they have all out lasted their warranty . The prices are good so I can't see the problem . I don't really enjoy shopping at "hell mart" but lets face it , they usually have what you need and they are the cheapest around ! If you don't like them then go to another store and buy the same item with the same name on it , at a higher price . I don't like the place either but if they have it cheaper I will buy it . Lets face it , do you like spending more money someplace else ?
    As I saw on another post where they have chinese electrical coupler then go someplace else . I buy mine in bulk from a parts store where they sell USA made parts and the ones I buy are made in New York !
    Just don't complain about where you buy items or where they are made , Remember you do have a choice to either buy it there or go someplace else !

Retro Jim