Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dumptruck, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Dumptruck

Dumptruck

I've got a 53 ford customline with a inline 6 ohv and the stock carb. My problem is when I hit the gas fast it stumbles and then wants to die. When I ease into the gas its fine. I've checked for vacume leaks and found none. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the power valve. Also at idle I'm not pulling any vacume at the carb, untill I rev it up and then I only get about 10 pounds. Which make my wipers not work. I have the original glass float bowl if that helps any. I'm not sure where to go next. Thanks in advance.

2. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Too much gas will do the same....

3. Dumptruck

Dumptruck

Too much gas as in the float level isn't set right or the air fuel mix is off?

4. Splinter

Splinter

Sounds like your accel pump shot is either too much or not at all...

5. oj

oj

That sounds like a holley 1904 and those carbs have issues in the float bowl area, like a crack letting raw fuel into the engine, also there is a check valeve under the accelerator pump that is easy to leave out. All things said those are touchy carbs, i have a mess of them saved up for a project and i am not sure that i'll use them or not because of the issues. There is a guy on the international harvestor site (ih only north i think) by the name of Michael Mayben, he is an absolute wizard with those carbs. He is on here from time to time but i don't know what he goes by. He has an on-going thread/discussion on just those carburators. Good luck, oj

6. Dumptruck

Dumptruck

Does anyone have any ideas why I'm having the vaccume issue? Is that related to accelorator pump?

7. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

It's a bad carb... order a rebuilt from the local part store and send me yours... I need a new glass bowl!

My past probs have also resulted in fuel level...like previously stated, they're a touchy tune-up... Good luck.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think that the accelerator pump isn't functioning right or maybe you left the check ball out if you just rebuilt the carb.

But, correct float level and adjustments on all parts of the carb are critical.

Is the accelerator pump linkage hooked and adjusted right?

Vacuum is measured in "inches" by the way and you may have your gauge hooked to a port that is above the throttle plates and hence no vacuum at an idle.

And no the vacuum issue isn't related to the accelerator pump issue as they are not really related.

With the glass bowl you should be able to see the fuel level and the float should be sitting fairly level when the bowl is full.

9. Dumptruck

Dumptruck

The float level is set right according to the book. I'm checking the vaccume at the port that goes to the distributor for the vac advance. That only place that I can check on this carb. If the float bowl was cracked and letting air in would that cause my problems?

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Wrong place to hook up the vac gage. Connect to wherever the wiper hose/line is hooked up to the manifold.

11. stukks

stukks

I had the same problem with a Holley 1904 that I recently rebuilt. I left out the little red plastic ball that is a check valve for the vacuum advance, it closes of the lower venturi to compensate for the drop in vacuum due to the throttle plate being open.

PM me if you want pictures, I can scan pages from my manual if you think that might help.