Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blue dots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zeke Fishburn, Feb 26, 2010.

1. burnout2614

burnout2614

The upper half of my state seems to be more sensitive to such things, the lower part(where I am) doesnt seem to give a shit! peace

2. If u like em u like em. My next door neighbor has a 59 galaxie with em. Made me cringe a little. but my ass aint drivin it.

3. mosthumanmofo

mosthumanmofo

We use a piece of copper tubing with a m/c hand grip on the end. Heat tube with a torch, then bore a hole in the plastic lens.

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I think the original reason for the blue dots, besides being cool, is they make you brake lights appear brighter. As for the legality, I think each state has their own rules, I know that California cops hate them. It seems that most of law enforcement uses them on the rear of their vehicles & it upsets them if you look like a cop going down the road.

5. I used glass blue dots on mine for several years.
    They put out a kind of purple haze.

Maybe my tail lights are just a bit weak, but one time a friend told me
    he was driving behind me on a highway at night and it was hard to see
    my tail lights. So, I have now reverted back to original glass lenses as
    I'd prefer to not get rear-ended by someone not paying close attention.

Otherwise, they are cool and have become a traditional type item.
    (I'll save my lenses in case I want to use them again at a later date.)
    Have never been hasseled about them by the authorities.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

First of all, in most jurisdictions across the country the blue-dot lenses are not legal.

Secondly, if you choose to run them, always carry a set of stock lenses in the glovebox so you can avoid a ticket by replacing your "Officer, I just bought them and didn't know they were illegal" lenses on the roadside.

Third, to brighten your lights, all of them but especially those with smaller lenses, remove the lenses and scrub them thoroughly both front and back with a good detergent like Simple Green and a toothbrush. Mask off the sockets inside and paint the inside of the housing gloss white, rattle-can will do. Replace your 1157 bulbs with 2357 which have a much brighter stop/turn filament. Reassemble the lights using good lense to body or door gaskets. Not a bad idea to schedule a lens cleaning twice a year or so either. This works well for parking lamp/side marker/turn signal as well.
    Next time you go out all your friends will wonder what the heck you did to improve your lights so much and that old guy in the 79 Chevy pickup will have a less chance of not seeing you braking for the trouble.

7. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Arent they illegal some places ?

We live in America - Hot Rodders are Americans - I get so pissed about shit like this - who cares if they're "illegal"? Stand up! Use 'em if you want!!!!

8. skidsteer

skidsteer

I will never forget the night I came around a corner in Gatlinburg, up behind a beautiful coupe with blue dots. The purple glow was riveting.

9. razzerx

razzerx
    from Lyons

Yes. You need to check your states laws.

10. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

The car in my avatar. Six blue dots (... ...) Been there since before a whole lota guys on here were born, if your under 30. I've liked them more years than I can remember.

11. Artie B

Artie B

I had the same reaction on the first set I ever saw on a coupe. On a a tech note: If you do decide to run blue dots they are designed and work best when they are placed directly over the bulb. This will allow for the purple glow from the red and blue blending. I have seen dots placed on other areas of the lense not directly over the bulb area and the effect is deminished or not there at all

12. And don't forget the little gold numbers that hung from the top of the tassle with the year you graduated, ( 1966 for me ) still have mine but the blue and white tassles are now all white. It was a sign that you were done with school and in the real world, like you said a badge of honor. Some things will stay with me forever and that's one of them!!!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't like them, and I don't care if you run them.

14. belair

belair

And THAT says it all. (mine faded too)

15. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

In Oregon they are legal on cars 1959 and older.

16. catbox

catbox

^ good to know as they are on my car

17. H3O

H3O

haven't had a problem with the Wichita police over my blue dots. I did with my music being too loud, and the fact that one cop didn't know how to enter a year of make plate into her system right. almost got arrested for having stolen plates or something like that, til I showed her it's a 62 tag..... that's another story.

I love my blue dots. where canyou get green ones?

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original point dates back to the early/mid 30s on high end cars. The blue glass did indeed give a brighter "violet" shade to the brake light. Packard, Cadillac, some Lincolns, and Pierce Arrow had them on select models. On Packards for 32-34 it was exclusive to the 12.

They are kool though.

19. one37tudor

one37tudor

They are not legal in Texas anywhere! You will usually not have a problem with them unless they are looking for some reason to hassle you.

I have not heard of anyone in Austin being bothered because of them but the ass wipes in Round Rock (just north of Austin) will set outside of car related events and pull over anyone with blue dot lights as they leave the event.

Scott...

20. i love blue dots my 60 t-bird will have them just one per side though i removed the backup light lens and replaced them with a regular tailightlight lens so the blue dots will only be in the two center tails (sockets wired into the tailights)

my girlfriend bought a set of 50 poncho light w/dots from speedway for her 50 poncho ive been driving behind her in the dark her lights show up fine

i havent decided if im going to run them on my 57 or not

21. 61TBird

61TBird

Some Tail Lights are "made" for Blue Dots...:D
    It took about 30 minutes to do both sides with a Dremel tool to cut the hole the right size.
    You want it to fit "tight" or you'll have problems.

[​IMG]

22. autobilly

autobilly

I've only run 'em for twenty five years or so, but I've (touch wood) never been hassled either.
    As for "function", they give a purple kind of glow to the tail lights at night when installed over the bulb.
    :cool:

23. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Here's some blue dots from 1942

Attached Files:

24. I've had blue dots in my '36 for over 20+ years and just been lucky I guess - never a word from the cops. Will eventually put them in our roadster. Put some in my sons '90 chevy pick up - glass dots in stock plastic lenses (Just trying to introduce him to a little hot rod culture ya know?). They never seemed bright enough though to get that purple glow! Guess we could change to brighter tail light bulbs? Also thinking maby a small tube the diameter of the blue dot glued to the back of the blue dot and running back to the (or near) the bulb itself to direct more light into the dot. Anyone tried this??

25. This is the position in Australia. All state have these rules. Problem is the inherent inconsistency. In short you can fit them but they can't glow anything but red. Try and work that out!

99—Performance and operation of brake lights
    (1) When on, a brake light must show a red light visible 30 metres from the rear of the
    vehicle.
    (2) A brake light fitted to a street rod vehicle may incorporate a blue lens not over
    20 millimetres in diameter.

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

You may want to consider the liabilty issue if you're running blue-dots illegally and somebody rear-ends you.

27. The only Blue dots I don`t like are available on `59 Caddy tail lights...it`s like a boob without the nipple...interesting , but just not right!

28. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Guess no Round Rock merchants will get any of my funds. Be skirting that place from now on.

29. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Jeez is this what we are turning in to ?

30. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

I am going to order some today.....the cops here wouldn't know the difference anyways!